PDA

View Full Version : For golf fans: US Senior Open at Prairie Dunes on the TV

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 02:53 PM
pretty good chance to see one of the US top courses that is *never* on TV up in Hutchinson, Kansas. one of adopted Oklahoma golf course architect Perry Maxwell's real gems. a visionary admixture of Kansas rolling terrain and links style contour....from the early-mid 20th century that pre-dates the recent "links" courses being built in the sand hills of western Nebraska and eastern Colorado. if you haven't heard of Sand Hills, Apache Stronghold (AZ.), Wildhorse, or Ballyneal.....you will.

but Prairie Dunes was sort of the first to tinker with the idea (though it's contemporary grooming gives it a bit more of a parkland look) 60 or more so years ago. and getting rave reviews from players.

FYI.

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 03:46 PM
I prefer the tree lined traditional courses to what I am seeing on TV right now...but that's just me. I don't care for most of the British Open courses either.

I think I'll switch over and watch the young guys play Cog Hill.

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 03:48 PM
the traditional courses aren't tree-lined.

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 03:50 PM
The ones I like are. ;)

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 03:55 PM
well, that's your preference and there will be legion of similar-ilk chiming in that every golf course should look like Augusta National and links golf is boring and such as there is every year at this time......when the Open starts in 2 weeks....but Prairie Dunes is 5 times the golf course as Cog Hill.

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 04:00 PM
hey, and you know we're cool Turk. it's just a personal thing with me.

:D

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 04:02 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying links golf is boring at all. It's good for a change to see brown fairways, pot bunkers and heather.

I just prefer watching golf on a course like Winged Foot versus what we will probably see at Royal Liverpool. And I don't even know what Royal Liverpool looks like.

I'll switch back and give Prairie Dunes more of a look see.

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 04:03 PM
hey, and you know we're cool Turk. it's just a personal thing with me.

absolutely - we're cool!

And I will defer to you when it comes to golf knowledge.

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 04:11 PM
thing is: parkland courses look good on TV. and over half the places they play on Tour are milque-toast layouts designed for visual effects, surgical, high drama visual lines, all kinds of jigsaw shaped bunkers, water (the demon of the average golfer), green-ness, and more or less ads for vacations destinations or corporate PR.

TV makes all golf courses look flat...so the challenge of contour *as played* is largely lost.

when they actually DO play real golf courses, it's great.

for example, ben crenshaw was gushing last week that the greens at PD are stimping around 10 so they can use all the subtle green areas for pin placements that are the hallmark of Perry Maxwell courses. if they stimp at 12 or 15 the pinnable portions of the green are about the size of a manilla envelope.

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 04:31 PM
Loren Roberts is ripping PD a new one.

Newbomb Turk
7/8/2006, 04:45 PM
Allen Doyle has the goofiest swing, but he sure strikes the ball well.

King Crimson
7/8/2006, 04:52 PM
dana quigley has a real goofy motion too....i'm not sure his hands ever get above his shoulders on his back swing. all you you got to do is take it back and bring it in square.

Roberts is going low, no doubt about it.

notice how shallow the bunkers are at Cog Hill.

Fugue
7/8/2006, 08:23 PM
the traditional courses aren't tree-lined.

heh
sorry NT, this was funny.

This course is awesome and I'm lucky enough to be going tomorrow for the final round. A lot of the golfers said this week that this is in their top five courses from around the world. But, imo, they made the pin placements too easy today, I can't really believe it. I expect that to change with a little more wind for the final.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 07:58 AM
Goat tracks.

OU4LIFE
7/10/2006, 08:43 AM
PD is the best course I have ever played. It's amazing. you simply can't miss fairways there....ever.

I love the British Open style of golf...links golf has always fascinated me. You can hit a perfect shot there and be completely screwed. I can't wait to get over there to play....one of these days. Hitting punch 6 irons from 220.....that sh!t is going to RMFO.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 08:44 AM
You can hit a perfect shot there and be completely screwed.

Yeah, it doesn't get any better than that.

Fugue
7/10/2006, 09:19 AM
PD is the best course I have ever played. It's amazing. you simply can't miss fairways there....ever.

I love the British Open style of golf...links golf has always fascinated me. You can hit a perfect shot there and be completely screwed. I can't wait to get over there to play....one of these days. Hitting punch 6 irons from 220.....that sh!t is going to RMFO.

Doyle did this all day yesterday. He doesn't have a beautiful swing anyway but from the driving range before the round on he hit this type of a shot.

Something you can't see from tv is how elevated the tee boxes and greens are. We aren't talking 6 to 10 feet, we're talking 20 to 30 feet.

TW can't putt.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 09:22 AM
A friend of mine played Prairie Dunes a couple of months ago and he said it was harder than Southern Hills, but he liked the course.

My BIL is going to play the Old Course at St Andrews next summer.

I haven't played either one and I'm sure I'll never get the opportunity.

Newbomb Turk
7/10/2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, it doesn't get any better than that.

I agree. :D

I wouldn't have to worry about that though, cause I rarely hit a perfect shot.

picasso
7/10/2006, 09:26 AM
I absolutely love watching the British Open. Nothing better than waking up early and watching live golf.

I also like wide open links style courses. You gotta mix it up now and then Jack.

oh and my cuz who played at KU had the low round at Prairie Dunes in the Big 8 tourney one year.

Fugue
7/10/2006, 09:27 AM
If a golfer doesn't have a little skill, I would think PD would be miserable to play. I'm talkin' 150ish type score. The pros were lucky this weekend because over 4 days there wasn't ever any wind. I'm not sure that's ever happened in KS. :) A 30 mph wind on this course would make it a nightmare.

Mjcpr
7/10/2006, 09:30 AM
I'd kick it's ***. I recently broke 90 you know.

Newbomb Turk
7/10/2006, 09:33 AM

no doubt. You might be able to break 80 at PD.

on the front nine ;)

Fugue
7/10/2006, 09:38 AM

I actually thought about that yesterday, "What would Pat shoot here on a windy day?" I lost count. :D

IB4OU2
7/10/2006, 09:40 AM
I shot a 108 at Karsten Creek a few years ago.......I thought that was pretty good......:)