PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever drive in a demolition derby?

royalfan5
7/7/2006, 05:54 PM
I'm thinking about getting a car to compete next summer when I have a real job. It has been one of my lifelong desires to compete in a Demo Derby, and I was looking for any advice from anyone that may have competed in one.

TUSooner
7/7/2006, 05:56 PM
In New Orleans it's just called "traffic."

yermom
7/7/2006, 06:10 PM
in.

Flagstaffsooner
7/7/2006, 06:20 PM
In New Orleans it's just called "traffic."In Flagstaff thats when the PHX desert idiots drive up to ski.

SoonerInKCMO
7/7/2006, 09:49 PM
[Jeff Foxworthy]You know you're a redneck when...[/Jeff Foxworthy]

StoopTroup
7/8/2006, 02:59 AM
I was looking for any advice from anyone that may have competed in one.
Don't let the radiator get hit...

Get a car with a strong trunk area...

Learn to drive backwards better than you drive forwards.

olevetonahill
7/8/2006, 03:09 AM

Truer words were Never spoken ;)
If you really want to .Peem me Ill hook you up ;)

PhilTLL
7/8/2006, 03:11 AM
Ever see that episode of The Simpsons where the whole male Simpson line is taking turns headbutting each other while wearing saucepans? Just something to think about. :)

StoopTroup
7/8/2006, 03:19 AM
Make sure you have a good trailer so you can get your car back in the front yard so you can show off to the neighbors. :D

http://www.ericparker.net/neal/miscderbyphotos/000_0345.JPG

StoopTroup
7/8/2006, 03:24 AM
Also...if you expect any of us to root for you....

The car must be crimson or at the very least...red. :D

http://www.clearfieldcountyfair.com/images/demo.jpg

royalfan5
7/8/2006, 06:51 AM

I was planning on getting a station wagon, and hopefully a mopar one because of the high heat tolerance on 318's. I will have work on the backward part.

walkoffsooner
7/8/2006, 09:00 AM
Put punture proof tires on. And throw nails out the window.

Al Gore
7/8/2006, 10:15 AM
I did once in college.....liquored up......and on the streets of Lawrence. I don't think I need to tell the rest of the story.....

GDC
7/8/2006, 11:15 AM
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 09:00 PM
So I think I may finally get around to running a car this summer. I may be the only investment banker in America that would compete in a Demo Derby though.

yermom
5/12/2008, 09:32 PM
that would be fun, but i'd rather just run some kinda dirt track mini-stock or something, i think

Turd_Ferguson
5/12/2008, 09:53 PM
Have a hydraulic actuator that shoves a piece of railroad track out the front end. YWIA Oh, and aim for the radiator or the driver side door.

BudSooner
5/12/2008, 10:16 PM
I used to go to school with a guy who's dad used to run all the demo derbies at the old Tulsa Speedway, if anyone old enough remembers a red and white ford wagon named the War Wagon.....that's Rusty's dad.
Far as I can remember, he kept the same engine since it was so durable...the only thing he ever changed was the tranny due to the cooler getting punctured and the thing overheating.
Man, for years i've wanted to do that but now you would have to drive quite a ways for a place to do that.

Royal, isn't there a track in Nebraska that regularly holds the derbies?
If I remember correctly wasn't there a show on TLC that was about a family or drivers from there, or was that Wisconsin?

Sounds like fun for sure.

sooneron
5/12/2008, 10:19 PM
I drove a box cube truck in NYC for a couple of years as a PA,does that count?

royalfan5
5/12/2008, 10:43 PM
I used to go to school with a guy who's dad used to run all the demo derbies at the old Tulsa Speedway, if anyone old enough remembers a red and white ford wagon named the War Wagon.....that's Rusty's dad.
Far as I can remember, he kept the same engine since it was so durable...the only thing he ever changed was the tranny due to the cooler getting punctured and the thing overheating.
Man, for years i've wanted to do that but now you would have to drive quite a ways for a place to do that.

Royal, isn't there a track in Nebraska that regularly holds the derbies?
If I remember correctly wasn't there a show on TLC that was about a family or drivers from there, or was that Wisconsin?

Sounds like fun for sure.
I don't know about every weekend, but pretty much every county fair and local festival has a derby and figure 8 race.

cheese21
5/12/2008, 11:26 PM
I don't know if you're around here, but there is a demo derby at the OKC fairgrounds racetrack Friday July 11th and Sat Oct. 11th. It will be after the normal races both nights. It's hilarious watching those guys go at it after we get done racing. From what I understand, what everyone is saying is correct. Protect the radiator and axles. My only real advice would be to make safety first. You don't get a lot of speed going, but it only takes one hit to get hurt.

Edit: I see that you're from Omaha, sorry.

DBrown
5/13/2008, 01:03 PM
Since no one else mentioned it,I will.
Fill the trunk up with concrete for a smashing good time!

BudSooner
5/13/2008, 08:13 PM
I don't know if you're around here, but there is a demo derby at the OKC fairgrounds racetrack Friday July 11th and Sat Oct. 11th. It will be after the normal races both nights. It's hilarious watching those guys go at it after we get done racing. From what I understand, what everyone is saying is correct. Protect the radiator and axles. My only real advice would be to make safety first. You don't get a lot of speed going, but it only takes one hit to get hurt.

Edit: I see that you're from Omaha, sorry.

Been there, y'all pull some crazy **** too.
Standard trans would be a benefit, along with something using a Ford 9" rearend...a station wagon etc or other large vehicle....or something you can swap the rearend into since it's one of the stronger differentials you can get.
Most any large late 80's sedan would do, Impala, Buick, Crown Vic.
Any of them would have enough protection in the front to take a pretty hard impact and keep running.

VeeJay
5/13/2008, 08:31 PM
That's something I've always wanted to do too.

In the early days of ESPN, they used to show stuff like Demolition Derbys. I guess there wasn't enough sponsor money in that. I miss the old Demo. Derbys.

StoopTroup
5/13/2008, 08:37 PM
BTW...most police call it Reckless Driving and Assault with a Deadly Weapon if you don't find a real Derby to enter.