PDA

View Full Version : Help me solve an argument

sooneron
7/7/2006, 04:57 PM
A co-worker and I were talking about rules changes coming into this season. The rule in question was the instant replay rule. Starting this year, instant replay is the option of the home team, not the visiting.
My buddy said that usc declined Instant replay last year at ND. He stated that this could have negated the usc win due to the bush push. I disagreed that it would not have been reviewable, b/c it would have been a penalty and, therefore, not reviewable.
Who is right?

I believe that I am, as the play would only be whistled dead before leinart crossed the line due to a penalty. It is a given that he crossed the goal line.

He believes that he is right due to the fact that it was a play involving crossing the goal line.

Here is the Instant replay rule-

Section 3. Reviewable Plays

Side Line, Goal Line, End Line
Article 1. Reviewable plays governed by a sideline, goal line or an end line include:

a. Scoring plays, including a runner in possession of a live ball breaking the plane of a goal line.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2006, 05:45 PM
You're right.

Snrfn4ever08
7/8/2006, 12:00 AM
i'm pretty sure you're right

Readyfor8
7/8/2006, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty sure you are incorrect. If a play is reviewed they can overturn the ruling at the spot of a foul, thus if the play had been reviewed they could have ruled the play down at the spot of the foul.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure it depends on which conference you were in at the moment.

Collier11
7/8/2006, 02:28 AM
You cannot overturn a judgement call, therefore the Bush push would have stood.

soonerjoker
7/8/2006, 09:14 AM
agree, but to me, all calls are judgement calls.

XingTheRubicon
7/8/2006, 10:34 AM
You can't review holding, interference, or anything after the whistle is blown.

You can review spots, fumbles, receptions and so on.

The rub here, is which category does the Bush Push fall into...

I'm going with the first one. It's a judgment call by the ref if a gay QB is pushed from behind by a guy he hugs constantly. Not reviewable.

Snrfn4ever08
7/8/2006, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you are incorrect. If a play is reviewed they can overturn the ruling at the spot of a foul, thus if the play had been reviewed they could have ruled the play down at the spot of the foul.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure it depends on which conference you were in at the moment.
this is the biggest problem i have with instant replay in college. if they're going to have it, they need to make the rules for it uniform no matter what conference you're in