PDA

View Full Version : New Hope for RRS Staying In Dallas

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2006, 10:01 AM
Yes, ladies and germs, the great obstructionist, Laura Miller, announced she is NOT seeking re-election for Mayor of Dallas! She is gone after election day!!!!

Putting aside completely the notion that she was a trainwreck in general, she never fully grasped the manner in which sports feeds an economy. She vigorously opposed the bond package used to build the American Airlines Center saying that there would be no development around the AAC.

She did not vigorously pursue or head a negotiation team to bring the Cowboys back to the Cotton Bowl.

And, the only reason the extension till 2010 was agreed to for our little tussle was because of the input of Pete Schenkel.

Here's hoping the citizens of Dallas grow a brain and elect someone who can put together a cooperative effort from the regular morons on the city council and work with the universities to keep the tradition alive.

TeamMother
7/7/2006, 11:23 AM
Great news, thanks a lot for posting.

snp
7/7/2006, 11:41 AM
Effin sweet.

BigUgly
7/7/2006, 11:47 AM
A glorious day in Big D! Unfortunately, the vaccuum created by the Seahag's lack of leadership if going to be felt for years to come.

Good riddance Laura. If you had put half the effort into negotiating with the Cowboys that you did in selling those damn Calatrava bridges, you would have cleaned up FairPark and we would have OU / Texas, the Cowboys, Final Fours, Super Bowls and concerts in a first class venue for decades to come.

Don't let the door hit you in the ***...:mad:

Snrfn4ever08
7/7/2006, 12:43 PM
good, now maybe someday i'll still be able to watch ou/texas at the cotton bowl. i've never been lucky enough to get tickets to it before. this buys me some time to keep trying

auto
7/7/2006, 12:44 PM
I dislike LM immensely and as a dallas resident glad to see her gone, but I do not want to see any type of tax increase, this should be funded from private sources.

OUDoc
7/7/2006, 01:21 PM
Here's hoping the citizens of Dallas grow a brain and elect someone who can put together a cooperative effort from the regular morons on the city council and work with the universities to keep the tradition alive.
So you think an OU grad should run for the office. Good call, Lid.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/7/2006, 01:36 PM
Lid, you'd still nail her and you know it.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/7/2006, 02:34 PM
Lid, you'd still nail her and you know it.

I would, just to teach her a lesson.

mrowl
7/7/2006, 04:19 PM
I dislike LM immensely and as a dallas resident glad to see her gone, but I do not want to see any type of tax increase, this should be funded from private sources.

This statement is amazing. Remember those "bridges" that the citizens of dallas voted to help pay for? Well, now, they can't afford them. So you will see this go up very soon over the trinity swamp.

http://www.arcticwildlife.org/trip/old%20bridge.jpg

OklahomaTuba
7/7/2006, 04:27 PM
Thats what passes for a good road here in okieland.

BoomerJack
7/8/2006, 06:57 AM

In the case of the Cotton Bowl, what would be a private source? The entity that stages the Cotton Bowl Game? The State Fair? A large corporation HQ'd in the Dallas area?

I just don't think it's gonna be possible for there to be the kind of renovation of the Cotton Bowl facility without some sort of public financing from sort of governmental or quasi-governmental entity. Now I'm not a resident of Dallas or vicinity and have no knowledge of the attitudes there. I'm making this from the viewpoint of someone who has seen how these things have worked and come to pass over the last several years.

jk the sooner fan
7/8/2006, 07:40 AM
good riddance to her.....she's been awful, her only redeeming value has been the wright amendment and thats not a done deal yet

soonerjoker
7/8/2006, 09:11 AM
i kinda like LM; bit i don't live in dallas. (irving, in dallas co.)

i feel that their solution to the wright amendment is PITIFUL !!!!

8 years & tear out some gates. this is just propping up American
& DFW airport. can't make it on their own ?????

goingoneight
7/8/2006, 10:03 AM
I've decided to run for Mayor of Dallas. I'll rebuild the Cotton Bowl over 100,000 seats big, get more traditional rivalries to play there as well as the feature RRS game, fix the surrounding roads and routes heading into the BIG D and I'll bane Mack Brown from recruiting in the big DFW.

Vote for me!!! I could use the raise!!!

Snrfn4ever08
7/8/2006, 11:29 AM
I've decided to run for Mayor of Dallas. I'll rebuild the Cotton Bowl over 100,000 seats big, get more traditional rivalries to play there as well as the feature RRS game, fix the surrounding roads and routes heading into the BIG D and I'll bane Mack Brown from recruiting in the big DFW.

Vote for me!!! I could use the raise!!!
you've got my vote;)

Sooner24
7/8/2006, 11:59 AM
The thing is the Dallas City Councel is so split along racial lines that there is hardly anything that gets done in Dallas because of the impass. Then there are idiots, in the past, like this helping run things so Dallas never had a chance.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/wfaa/03-05/0307_lipscomb.jpg

soonerjoker
7/9/2006, 11:29 AM
they let him outta prison because they (i don't know who "they" is) felt sorry
for him, & now he says it's because he was innocent. he was caught red-handed, taking bribes.

they thot he was gonna die, but now he's quite healthy.

he's a jerk & a felon.

worst thing that ever happened to south dallas.

along with diane ragsdale.

TexasLidig8r
7/10/2006, 07:58 AM
good riddance to her.....she's been awful, her only redeeming value has been the wright amendment and thats not a done deal yet

JK.. no no no no.

I have a friend who's been at Southwest for over 10 years. Works in the corporate division.

Southwest looked upon Miller as being a problem, an obstructionist. She would never take a position on the Wright Amendment. They wanted the backing of the city council and mayor to go balls out to have Wright lifted completely... this year. Miller, for some reason known only to God and broccoli, would not. (perhaps American Airlines contributions to certain well heeled Democrats who are good friends/associates of her husband, long time Democratic representative Steven Wolens?)

It was only when Southwest threated to move their corporate headquarters out of Dallas that things really began to move (Southwest actually has more daily flights from their Baltimore and Phoenix bases) since the Wright Amendment made corporate meetings in Dallas problematic for out of state Southwest execs.

So, now we're left with political entities trying to build an elephant without blueprints... a nose from here, ears from there.. which has resulted in this phased out hybrid plan which ostensibly keeps American's monopoly at DFW Airport alive for a few more years.

American and Southwest looked upon Miller as being a vaccuous pawn.

auto
7/10/2006, 08:08 AM
In the case of the Cotton Bowl, what would be a private source? The entity that stages the Cotton Bowl Game? The State Fair? A large corporation HQ'd in the Dallas area?

I just don't think it's gonna be possible for there to be the kind of renovation of the Cotton Bowl facility without some sort of public financing from sort of governmental or quasi-governmental entity. Now I'm not a resident of Dallas or vicinity and have no knowledge of the attitudes there. I'm making this from the viewpoint of someone who has seen how these things have worked and come to pass over the last several years.

I really don't care who finances or owns it, just as long as it doesn't come out of my *** pocket. I already pay more property taxes than some cars cost. :eek: There are plenty of billionaires and corps that could afford to renovate or rebuild the CB if so desired. Dallas, already loses convention business, because of high lodging/rental car taxes, a smoking ban, and dead downtown at night. Not alot of ways to fund it publicly.

If you were to look at some of the DISD scandal just in the last month you would understand. I am very happy that Jerry packed his bags for Arlington, let them suck it up and use Emminient Domian for a football stadium:mad:

As much as I love the RRS in Dallas, I would not vote one more penny for the people of Dallas to pay to keep it. Private funding yes.

Tear Down This Wall
7/10/2006, 10:39 AM
The problem here is that only Laura Miller announced she wasn't running. There are about 14 other council members who also need to make that announcement for the OU-Texas game to have a chance. The black members of the council want the Prairie View-Southern game (or whichever Black College game it is) to receive the same money as OU-Texas. That's how stupid and backwards Dallas' city council is on this subject. Miller was the least of the problem...even though she did suck.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/12/2006, 10:34 AM
I would, just to teach her a lesson.

What lesson? She went black and shouldn't have gone back?

BoomerJack
7/12/2006, 10:53 AM
I really don't care who finances or owns it, just as long as it doesn't come out of my *** pocket. I already pay more property taxes than some cars cost. :eek: There are plenty of billionaires and corps that could afford to renovate or rebuild the CB if so desired. Dallas, already loses convention business, because of high lodging/rental car taxes, a smoking ban, and dead downtown at night. Not alot of ways to fund it publicly.

If you were to look at some of the DISD scandal just in the last month you would understand. I am very happy that Jerry packed his bags for Arlington, let them suck it up and use Emminient Domian for a football stadium:mad:

As much as I love the RRS in Dallas, I would not vote one more penny for the people of Dallas to pay to keep it. Private funding yes.

Hold on to that dream, auto. There could very well be some corporate participation in a renovation of the Cotton Bowl stadium but it won't pay for all of it.