PDA

View Full Version : Bill Jaxons Art

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 09:29 AM
Iv'e always enjoyed his paintings, I bought this limited edition framed print back in 84' and now it's worth about 10 times what I payed for it-

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/91/1c/67_12_sb.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120004975500&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

Bill's a graduate of OU and has become a very famous artist and I really like his Native American and Western art themes. :)

http://www.billjaxon.com/

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 09:42 AM
Why did I waste my time posting anything about art or culture on this forum?........:(

1stTimeCaller
7/7/2006, 09:44 AM
I think I have some cultures growing inbetween my toes.

Nice painting.

StoopTroup
7/7/2006, 09:47 AM
It's nice...but it's no Picasso. :D

Mjcpr
7/7/2006, 09:47 AM
He was great in Weird Science.

crawfish
7/7/2006, 09:49 AM
http://lair2000.net/ToyStory2/potatoal.gif

You uncultured swine!

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 10:02 AM

I agree but he's (our Picasso) not old or dead yet and I need to buy some of his stuff. :D

OU4LIFE
7/7/2006, 10:32 AM

that's because it's not fingerpaint.

LilSooner
7/7/2006, 02:00 PM
My mom has collected alot of bill jaxon's print. I was thinking that he had a gallery in the city. She has alot of Johnny Tiger prints too. It's amazing how those thing just keep multiplying in their worth.

Mjcpr
7/7/2006, 02:02 PM
She has alot of Johnny Tiger prints too. It's amazing how those thing just keep multiplying in their worth.

I bet he never passed out drunk on your all's couch did he?

(I think I've mentioned this before :D )

colleyvillesooner
7/7/2006, 02:06 PM
Twister kicked ***.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 02:16 PM
People. Prints are pictures of a painting. The original painting has value, the prints...not so much. Check out the secondary market on lithographs for the truth.

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.

OUDoc
7/7/2006, 02:16 PM
He was great in Weird Science.
He pukes, you die.

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 02:18 PM
My mom has collected alot of bill jaxon's print. I was thinking that he had a gallery in the city. She has alot of Johnny Tiger prints too. It's amazing how those thing just keep multiplying in their worth.

I was in Guthrie Saturday with the wife and we stepped into some shops and one was selling some of his newer limited addition prints. The prices were outrageous $250-350 for some of the smaller ones. I'm thinking you're mom and I made a good investment years ago.

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 02:22 PM
People. Prints are pictures of a painting. The original painting has value, the prints...not so much. Check out the secondary market on lithographs for the truth.

Homey, limited edition prints have value. Not the same as the original (wer'e talking 1,000's if not 10's of 1,000's) but you're comparing apples to oranges and I did checkout the secondary market.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 03:06 PM
Homey, limited edition prints have value. Not the same as the original (wer'e talking 1,000's if not 10's of 1,000's) but you're comparing apples to oranges and I did checkout the secondary market.

I'm speaking merely as a guy who once "invested" in limited edition lithos by prominent Civil War artists (like Dale Gallon, Troiani, Kunstler, Rick Reeves, et. al.) Different genre I know, but my point is merely this, there is no ready market for the things and they are worth exactly what someone will pay you for them.

These guys sell their limited edition lithos for a certain price and that tends to imply that's what they're worth, but the reality is its very difficult to get any more than you paid for them when/if you decide to sell them.

That said, if you buy someone's stuff because you like it and want to hang it on the wall, that's fine. I merely caution that people probably shouldn't delude themselves into thinking lithographs appreciate in value.

Finally, if not framed, they should be stored flat and not rolled-up in tubes.

Just my personal experience talking, your mileage may vary.

IB4OU2
7/7/2006, 03:45 PM
I'm speaking merely as a guy who once "invested" in limited edition lithos by prominent Civil War artists (like Dale Gallon, Troiani, Kunstler, Rick Reeves, et. al.) Different genre I know, but my point is merely this, there is no ready market for the things and they are worth exactly what someone will pay you for them.

These guys sell their limited edition lithos for a certain price and that tends to imply that's what they're worth, but the reality is its very difficult to get any more than you paid for them when/if you decide to sell them.

That said, if you buy someone's stuff because you like it and want to hang it on the wall, that's fine. I merely caution that people probably shouldn't delude themselves into thinking lithographs appreciate in value.

Finally, if not framed, they should be stored flat and not rolled-up in tubes.

Just my personal experience talking, your mileage may vary.

Homey, I believe it and I do have some original wildlife paintings from a regional Tulsa Artist whom I knew personally. I don't know if her art has increased in value since her death and really don't care. I've bought limited prints not for speculation but for composition and because I just liked them. I have a signed limited copy of the print on the first post. In 84' I bought it for $75, today it's selling and has sold for over $750. I like the Civil War Lithographs myself, I have one of Gettysburg's "Picketts Charge" sitting over my office desk at home. :)

LilSooner
7/7/2006, 04:40 PM

WRONG! If it is just a print from Michaels you are absolutely freaking right, but if it is signed by the artist and numbered (perferably a low number) they can be very valuable. We have several prints that were bought for less than 100 dollars which are now worth several thousand dollars.

Also, my stepfather is a real live artist like Picasso (in the fact that he actually has collectors that rush to buy anything he puts his john hancock on) and even his prints are valuable.

Off topic but we hope to find out in the next few months whether or not he is going to get to compete in the prix de west at the cowboy hall of fame.

picasso
7/7/2006, 07:20 PM
if you're going to buy limited editon prints. do your very best to get the lowest number possible (not #1875). also, when framing it have it done acid free and DO NOT have it mounted permanently.
I'd also recommend having it done at a mom and pop frame shop and not by some high school kid at Hobby Lobby.

on a side note. I'm diggin in with a guy on Cherry Street who is opening Tulsa's first commission gallery. I'll keep you wankers informed.

OU4LIFE
7/10/2006, 07:30 AM
I have some early editions of MY fingerpaints, you think I can get in there with you?

Okla-homey
7/10/2006, 07:41 AM
WRONG! If it is just a print from Michaels you are absolutely freaking right, but if it is signed by the artist and numbered (perferably a low number) they can be very valuable. We have several prints that were bought for less than 100 dollars which are now worth several thousand dollars.

Here's a thought. Offer one of those lithos for sale and see if anyone offers you that much. If so, I'll STFU.;)

afs
7/10/2006, 07:58 AM
can you please take this to Smack Central.

LilSooner
7/10/2006, 08:25 AM
Here's a thought. Offer one of those lithos for sale and see if anyone offers you that much. If so, I'll STFU.;)

Mom had them valued by an art dealer. What's freaking hillarious is that she bought a print from hobby lobby for 35 and it was just appraised for 750.

I don't want you to STFU, I just wanted you to know that its not the same for every artist.