PDA

View Full Version : For the record

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 07:35 AM
Lieberman is a dem I could vote for for Prez. Just saying.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 07:42 AM
ditto, in fact i think i'd vote for him over McCain

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 07:49 AM
If for no other reason it would be fun to watch Gore's head explode if Lieberman won.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 07:55 AM
i think during a time of war against muslim extremists, the majority of americans would have a problem electing a jew to the white house

i'm not advocating that its right, but its reality

etouffee
7/7/2006, 07:57 AM
Lieberman is a dem I could vote for for Prez. Just saying.

I do agree with a lot of his positions, and he is one of the more...errrr, only... level-headed members of his party. However, the following would probably keep me from supporting him:

Pro-choice, voted against the partial birth abortion ban.
Supports drivers licenses for illegals.
Supports reparations.
Takes starkly contradictory positions on affirmative action, but most recently supports it.
Supports expansion of "hate crime" laws to cover more classes
Supports rehab over prison for criminals
Opposes ANWR drilling
Supports repeal of Bush tax cuts, says tax the "rich" more and everyone else less
Sorry, couldn't vote for him.

Sooner in Tampa
7/7/2006, 07:57 AM
He probably won't be a democrat for much longer.

And I too, would vote for him.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 08:01 AM
I do agree with a lot of his positions, and he is one of the more...errrr, only... level-headed members of his party. However, the following would probably keep me from supporting him:

Pro-choice, voted against the partial birth abortion ban.
Supports drivers licenses for illegals.
Supports reparations.
Takes starkly contradictory positions on affirmative action, but most recently supports it.
Supports expansion of "hate crime" laws to cover more classes
Supports rehab over prison for criminals
Opposes ANWR drilling
Supports repeal of Bush tax cuts, says tax the "rich" more and everyone else less
Sorry, couldn't vote for him.

But Hillary has come out against him, so that's a plus.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 08:02 AM
i think during a time of war against muslim extremists, the majority of americans would have a problem electing a jew to the white house

The Arab street already believes Jews run America. I don't think his election would make much dif.

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:03 AM
But Hillary has come out against him, so that's a plus.No she hasn't. She only said that she would support whoever won her party's nomination, which was basically the only tenable position for her to take.

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:03 AM
I don't think the Jewish thing would make a difference either.

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 08:04 AM
I like Lieberman a lot. I agree with him on more issues than any potential
prospect for 08. In January, I had the pleasure of meeting him and I told
him that I'd really like to see him run in '08, and he laughed, then said
"well thank you, that's very kind, but I don't think my party will support me"

Become a repbulican then.

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:05 AM
FYI, you can get a half decent overview of his issue positions and voting history here (http://archives.ontheissues.org/Joseph_Lieberman.htm) YWIA

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 08:06 AM
No she hasn't. She only said that she would support whoever won her party's nomination, which was basically the only tenable position for her to take.

Point taken. IOW, she's a mind-numbed robot who will support whomever the party aparatchiks nominate. Kind of a narrow view from the "world's smartest woman." Got it, thanks.;)

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 08:07 AM
The Arab street already believes Jews run America. I don't think his election would make much dif.

i'm referring to fears of american voters....justified or not

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:07 AM
then said
"well thank you, that's very kind, but I don't think my party will support me"

How's he gonna do that, when he's pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-school prayer, and anti-tax cut?

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:08 AM
Point taken. IOW, she's a mind-numbed robot who will support whomever the party aparatchiks nominate. Kind of a narrow view from the "world's smartest woman." Got it, thanks.;)It's the only view she CAN take, assuming she wants her party's support in 08.

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 08:11 AM
How's he gonna do that, when he's pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-school prayer, and anti-tax cut?

I know. But of all the potential candidates for 08, I like him best, by far.
He's not gonna overturn RvW, the courts are set now.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 08:11 AM
It's the only view she CAN take, assuming she wants her party's support in 08.

I disagree. I think she could dye her hair purple and wear a "F--- the USA" t-shirt while publicly calling the entire Democrat party a bunch of jacka$$es and they'd still hand her the nomination if she wants it. Seriously.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 08:12 AM
he's considering running as an independent......tough for him to do when he's running for re-election as a democrat

Sooner in Tampa
7/7/2006, 08:42 AM
He has a 52% approval rating...so he could be alright as an indepedent.

In theory.

crawfish
7/7/2006, 08:43 AM
What would be GREAT is a McCain/Leiberman independent ticket...or vice-versa.

White House Boy
7/7/2006, 08:45 AM
I know. But of all the potential candidates for 08, I like him best, by far.

Waitaminute. I'm confused now. I thought YOU were running in '08!?!?!

I had a tanker full of swine blood ready to inject into the those dirty debils!

White House Boy
7/7/2006, 08:46 AM

Good lawd, no! McCain is as loose a cannon as they come.

picasso
7/7/2006, 08:58 AM
in your opinion. no way I'm voting for McCain.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 08:59 AM
in your opinion. no way I'm voting for McCain.

ditto

etouffee
7/7/2006, 08:59 AM
talk about an administration that wouldnt take a firm stand on anything.

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 09:01 AM
Waitaminute. I'm confused now. I thought YOU were running in '08!?!?!

I had a tanker full of swine blood ready to inject into the those dirty debils!

I'm thinking 08 isn't enough time to talk to all of the masses. I'm gonna need
to organize the SO party nationally, and get a few more cabinet members
lined up. You and Dean are certainly on top of the list. You can double
as surgeon general too, right? :D

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 09:02 AM
ditto

thirded. McCain scares me.

Mjcpr
7/7/2006, 09:03 AM
thirded. McCain scares me.

:D

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 09:04 AM
I gave him money back in 04. Too bad he was pretty much done by the time of the OK primary.

slickdawg

You are what you eat.

So you should call me a chicken.

picasso

dude, you have over 22 quid worth of posts? when did this happen.

crawfish
7/7/2006, 09:06 AM
talk about an administration that wouldnt take a firm stand on anything.

If by "firm stand" you don't mean "strictly follow the extremist party line", then I agree completely.

Mjcpr
7/7/2006, 09:07 AM

I know, it's a lifetime achievement really. :O

crawfish

All...the...frickin'...time.

Sooner in Tampa

:Dhttp://www.phog.tv/images/emoticons/popcorn.gif

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 09:08 AM
If by "firm stand" you don't mean "strictly follow the extremist party line", then I agree completely.

please, i think those two would be all over the place

i dont want somebody thats on either extreme....just right of center is ok

crawfish
7/7/2006, 09:14 AM
please, i think those two would be all over the place

i dont want somebody thats on either extreme....just right of center is ok

What I want is someone who's willing to do the right thing even at the risk of opposing the standard party line. Keep in mind, no true independent will be consistently "slightly right of center" on every issue, and shouldn't be.

Both McCain and Leiberman have shown this ability. If either was President, I think they'd seem far less wishy-washy than they do as senators.

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 09:16 AM
heh

http://www.joseph2004.org/

SoonerInKCMO
7/7/2006, 09:17 AM

At war or not, there are plenty of Americans that would have a problem with voting for someone that wasn't Christian. Of the folks I've heard about possibly running, he'd probably be the one to get my vote; I just can't see him winning though.

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 09:17 AM
What I want is someone who's willing to do the right thing even at the risk of opposing the standard party line. Keep in mind, no true independent will be consistently "slightly right of center" on every issue, and shouldn't be.

Both McCain and Leiberman have shown this ability. If either was President, I think they'd seem far less wishy-washy than they do as senators.

i've got no problem with your desire to have somebody that will cross party lines to do whats right

what i do have a problem with is somebody who thinks he can please everybody all the time, and thats what a McCain/Lieberman ticket would spell for me

you just cant do it......if the majority of the country votes in a lefty then the majority has spoken, and the president gets the opportunity to push his agenda......same for a righty........i dont believe in making the minority a majority for the pure sport of it or because it seems like the right thing to do

White House Boy
7/7/2006, 09:20 AM

The wishy-washiness of McCain would be the least of my concerns with him... he's just an out-and-out whack job, imo.

He's an MD, so he ought to recognize the classic symptoms of bipolar disorder and take heed to this old saying, "Physician, heal thyself."

A healthy dose of Thorazine would be a good place to start.

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 09:21 AM
The wishy-washiness of McCain would be the least of my concerns with him... he's just an out-and-out whack job, imo.

He's an MD, so he ought to recognize the classic symptoms of bipolar disorder and take heed to this old saying, "Physician, heal thyself."

A healthy dose of Thorazine would be a good place to start.

I think McCain is suffering from whatever the VC did to him. He's seriously
messed up.

White House Boy
7/7/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm thinking 08 isn't enough time to talk to all of the masses. I'm gonna need
to organize the SO party nationally, and get a few more cabinet members
lined up. You and Dean are certainly on top of the list. You can double
as surgeon general too, right? :D

The only cutting I do is lancing boils and removing stuff I think might be skin cancer.

White House Boy
7/7/2006, 09:24 AM
I think McCain is suffering from whatever the VC did to him.

In all seriousness, you may be on to something there. Poor guy.

SoonerProphet
7/7/2006, 09:36 AM
Co-Chariman of th Committee on the Present Danger, enough said.

slickdawg
7/7/2006, 09:37 AM
In all seriousness, you may be on to something there. Poor guy.

Yeah, I'm not kidding about that - he's really got some issues.

leavingthezoo
7/7/2006, 11:11 AM

that wouldn't help him either. same boat different sea. primaries are set up where the most extreme of any party comes away as the candidate of choice. (at least, that seems to be the pattern to me anyway)

TexasLidig8r
7/7/2006, 11:26 AM
Well.. if Ann Coulter could support Elmer.. err.. Joe Lieberman... then.. anyone can!

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/06/22/coulter-lieberman/

"Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting tewwowists."

Ike
7/7/2006, 11:31 AM
Even if Sen. Joe loses the primary, he won't be running as a true independent, just an independent democrat. He won't be severing his ties to his party. In other words, he is showing his party far more loyalty than they are showing him. Its easy to criticize him for doing so from the right, since the party is becomming more and more controlled by the lunatic fringe, but in all honesty, in my opinion, Leiberman remaining a democrat (and winning as an "independent democrat") may wake the rest of the party up to the fact that the current party leadership is leading them down the path of destruction, and that perhaps its time to be a little more thoughtful with their positions.

I like Joe Leiberman. I like him a lot. I don't agree with everything he stands for, but thus far, I haven't found a single politician whose positions exactly mirror my own. I do like his integrity and the gumption it takes for him to break with the party on major issues and vote for what he feels is best for the nation.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 12:02 PM
Here's the dealio. They (as in we GOP'ers) have already tried to slice and dice the man to no avail. I genuinely believe he is a man of conviction and I don't give two craps how he feels about the great Constitutional issues of our day because the only way he can materially influence them as Prez is through SCOTUS noms. I don't think he's liable to nom someone too far left, and if we keep the Congress he couldn't get a wierdo confirmed anyway.

Not saying he's my guy in '08, just that I prefer him over any dem now afield and he'd be a good candidate. If he were to run as an independent that would be even better. For moi, it would be a coin toss in the voting booth between Lieberman and McCain and that would be a first for me since I've never in my entire voting life had to make a tough personal call on ideological grounds between a dem or indep and the GOP presidential candidate and that would be refreshing.

The guy is strong on defense and law enforcement and IMHO, that's job one for the Prez. The other stuff is just details.

etouffee
7/7/2006, 12:08 PM
if you held a gun to my head and made me pick a dem, i guess joe would be the guy. but i wouldn't be likely to vote for him over a republican candidate, even though i'm not republican and disagree with a lot of their platform too. i disagree a lot with both parties, and agree with both on some issues. it's just that i agree more with the gop on the issues i think are most important (security/foreign policy/taxation)

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 12:30 PM
fwiw, there's nobody currently picked to run for the right in 08 that just thrills me......

its going to be an interesting election

Scott D
7/7/2006, 12:37 PM
2008 general election slogan will be "Vote for me, I don't suck as much as the other guy"

SoonerInKCMO
7/7/2006, 01:09 PM
2008 general election slogan will be "Vote for me, I don't suck as much as the other guy"

Nah, they've already used that the last eleven elections. Time for something new. :texan:

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 01:11 PM

As I recall, that was the theme in '73 Nixon vs. McGovern;)

jk the sooner fan
7/7/2006, 01:13 PM
when Clinton ran against Gary Hart in the primaries, the slogan was "I dont fu** as much as the other guy"

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 01:17 PM
when Clinton ran against Gary Hart in the primaries, the slogan was "I dont fu** as much as the other guy"

This is sorta one of those degrees of separation dealios, but I once danced with Donna Rice (first "mate" aboard SS Monkey Business) when we were both in high school. I think Gary made out better than I did though.

Scott D
7/7/2006, 06:51 PM
This is sorta one of those degrees of separation dealios, but I once danced with Donna Rice (first "mate" aboard SS Monkey Business) when we were both in high school. I think Gary made out better than I did though.

Gary didn't let his daughter become an Aggie ;)

picasso
7/7/2006, 07:10 PM
I think McCain is suffering from whatever the VC did to him. He's seriously
messed up.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0375501916.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
read this and your curiosity will be satisfied. He bothers me at times but he's also not a straight party type. Which isn't always a bad thing.
and for the record, that is one great read.

Jerk
7/7/2006, 08:37 PM
As the resident obsessive-compulisive gun nut, I'd support him:

(from the link that etoufee provided)

Q: In the 2000 campaign, Al Gore had a proposal for the licensing of all new handguns bought by gun owners. Anyone who wanted to buy a new handgun had to get licensed. Will you support that proposal in this campaign?
LIEBERMAN: I do not support that proposal. I have never supported such a proposal.

Q: But you were part of the ticket.

LIEBERMAN: Gore came out with that position before I came on to the ticket. The issue never really came up. Al Gore said to me when I got on the ticket, "Don't change anything about yourself, that's why I chose you."

American citizens have a right to own firearms. It is no more unlimited than any other right that we have. The laws that we pass ought to concentrate on stopping criminals and children and others who shouldn't have guns from getting them. Licensing, registration, in my opinion are bad ideas and violations of that fundamental right.

SoonerInKCMO
7/7/2006, 09:40 PM
Gary didn't let his daughter become an Aggie ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/ToddG/oh_snap.gif