PDA

View Full Version : the North Korean Army goosesteps

picasso
7/6/2006, 09:23 PM
not a good sign.

LilSooner
7/6/2006, 09:34 PM
I asked mom is this what it felt like to grow up in the 60's and she said pretty much.

So scary, but there again who knows their real capabilities. It wasn't too long ago that I was reading briefings about Iraq's supposed capabilities and how they had nukes ready to go if any thing should happen to Saddam. A good portion of the "intelligence" is crap.

Which is funny cause the guy I help write his papers in college is now working for the CIA. Last time I talked to him he was on the ivory coast.

picasso
7/6/2006, 09:39 PM
Eyeraq was not far from enriching the umm thing that enables one to develop a nuke program.
Also, in the mid 60's there was a draft thing. I do realize many a whacko said there would be another one before the last election but...:)

you gotta admit those NK dudes can do some hella goose stepping.

LilSooner
7/6/2006, 09:47 PM
Those NK dudes scare the **** out of me WAY more than Iraq ever did. It was ridiculous some of the stuff was that I read from other countries' version of CIA.

Australia I'm looking in your direction.

Hoosier Dynasty
7/6/2006, 09:48 PM
You guys are scared of NK nukes, in the middle of Oklahoma?:rolleyes: ;) :D :texan:

LilSooner
7/6/2006, 09:51 PM
heh. I'm scared for those godless bastards on the west coast.:D

Just kidding.

picasso
7/6/2006, 09:52 PM
You guys are scared of NK nukes, in the middle of Oklahoma?:rolleyes: ;) :D :texan:
no, I'm more scared of pop culture coming out of Indiana.:D

swardboy
7/6/2006, 10:13 PM
No, this is NOTHING like the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. The Soviet Union had real working nuke missiles just 90 miles from Florida, and were threatening to launch if we didn't get some of our missiles out of Europe. Thank goodness Kennedy didn't "cut and run"....Kruschev blinked at the threat of American action and took his missiles out. The naval blockade we pressed around Cuba worked.

nanimonai
7/6/2006, 10:15 PM
North Korea has maybe two nukes, we have like 20,000. We'll be alright.

OUinFLA
7/6/2006, 10:19 PM
North Korea has maybe two nukes, we have like 20,000. We'll be alright.

we may not be alright, but we would win.
at least initially.

afs
7/6/2006, 10:31 PM
i would be more concerned with US Troops and civilians in South Korea than I am about the North koreans attacking US soil.

i don't think this compares at all with the cold war build up.

OUinFLA
7/6/2006, 10:36 PM
having grown up in the 60's, I agree this is nothing like it.
USSR had plenty of missles that could target US cities from within their own borders.
I remember having drills to get us under our desks in case of an attack.
Like all those desks built by the lowest bidder were going to protect us from anything.
As mentioned above, South Korea, and Japan are probably a bit more nervous than we are.................oh, and Frozen Sooner too.

AlbqSooner
7/6/2006, 11:05 PM
we may not be alright, but we would win.
at least initially.
Guess it depends on how you define win. Once they start popping nukes, I expect all those people in all those countries who have spent years with itchy trigger fingers to say, "ahhhh WTF, I could just push the damn button once to see how it feels and claim our radar said there was one inbound to us."

Cuban missile crisis was waaaay scarier, but there was a difference. We kinda sensed that the Russians realized we had "mutually assured destruction" capability and they wanted to continue to live. With the NK and Irani wackos, we don't have that assurance.

Benjamin Netan Yahoo said recently that this is the first time in history we have had the convergence of a madman (e.g. Hitler, Idi Amin, et al) and nuclear weapons delivery technology.

OUinFLA
7/6/2006, 11:37 PM
agreed

PhxSooner
7/7/2006, 12:50 AM
I went to the Korean DMZ in 1990. That area is really unnerving. From the info I saw on my tour, they've been plotting (and digging tunnels) since the non-end of the conflict in the 50s. And Kim Jong Il doesn't care if his people get taken out by a war; he's been starving them to pay for the military.

picasso
7/7/2006, 01:00 AM
I went to the Korean DMZ in 1990. That area is really unnerving. From the info I saw on my tour, they've been plotting (and digging tunnels) since the non-end of the conflict in the 50s. And Kim Jong Il doesn't care if his people get taken out by a war; he's been starving them to pay for the military.
was it 60 Minutes that was there a few years ago? nobody was out in the country because it was too far from the city and their legs would tire from that much pedaling.:)
and, talk about stripping down the schoolbooks and news resources for propaganda.:eek:

swardboy
7/7/2006, 06:10 AM
For a look at the madness that passes for journalism in N. Korea:

http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 06:14 AM
No, this is NOTHING like the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. The Soviet Union had real working nuke missiles just 90 miles from Florida, and were threatening to launch if we didn't get some of our missiles out of Europe. Thank goodness Kennedy didn't "cut and run"....Kruschev blinked at the threat of American action and took his missiles out. The naval blockade we pressed around Cuba worked.

We also took some missles out of Turkey six months later as part of the deal to end the crisis.

Okla-homey
7/7/2006, 07:20 AM
not a good sign.

Why? To date, we're undefeated against goosesteppers.

OUinFLA
7/7/2006, 08:25 AM
We also took some missles out of Turkey six months later as part of the deal to end the crisis.

If I remember correcly, we learned about 5 years after the fact, that we conceded a lot more than the Turkey missles. Seems to me it had to do with troup strength in Germany, and some other short range missles in Europe.

But............we justified that we really conceded nothing as those missles were obsolete, and the troup strength wasnt really needed. In other words "government double-speak".

Im wondering what our missle strength in Tiawan and Japan really is? Or for that matter how many silos is Frozen Sooner in charge of up there in the frozen tundra?

picasso
7/7/2006, 08:34 AM
Why? To date, we're undefeated against goosesteppers.
yes, but they were still troublesome wouldn't you say?