PDA

View Full Version : The View

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 01:50 PM
from space is freaking awesome. I've been watching the shuttle link up with the space station this morning. I went to the store awhile ago and came back...it's just amazing to see the different views from space as they orbit the Earth.

I will never understand how anyone doesn't think the efforts of NASA are worth it. Just the ability to have people up there for an extended time again to study and experiment in a zero gravity enviroment is fantastic.

Non-scientific folks...I'm sorry you don't get it.

Mjcpr
7/6/2006, 01:55 PM
I think Star has gone off the deep end.

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 01:56 PM
It's good for the potential future military uses (as well as current military uses). Letting dorks believe it's chief purpose is to discover other worlds and whatnot is a good cover.

SoonerStormchaser
7/6/2006, 01:58 PM
That show is gonna go down in flames...good riddance.

Elisabeth is hawt though! Too bad she's married.

1stTimeCaller
7/6/2006, 02:00 PM
the best product that space exploration has brought to the consumer is AstroGlide. Easily the best.

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 03:27 PM
Jacked...lol.

King Crimson
7/6/2006, 03:31 PM
It's good for the potential future military uses (as well as current military uses). Letting dorks believe it's chief purpose is to discover other worlds and whatnot is a good cover.

that's pretty true in a lot of ways. the idea that it's all about benevolent benefits for all humankind and the value neutral interest of science and progress is pretty funny as well.

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 03:34 PM
Anyone ever see the Hubble Telescope Pics?

Those were pretty informative.

Why haven't we put that thing back into working order yet?

That would have been a top priority if I was incharge.

IB4OU2
7/6/2006, 03:36 PM
We ( my group designed and developed it) have some hardware on the ISST. It's been flying on the bird for over 5 years now.......:)

Mjcpr
7/6/2006, 03:44 PM
We ( my group designed and developed it) have some hardware on the ISST. It's been flying on the bird for over 5 years now.......:)

That must've been what finally killed it.

IB4OU2
7/6/2006, 03:45 PM
That must've been what finally killed it.

:mad: :D

Ike
7/6/2006, 04:08 PM
Anyone ever see the Hubble Telescope Pics?

Those were pretty informative.

Why haven't we put that thing back into working order yet?

That would have been a top priority if I was incharge.

ISS took priority....along with "moon-mars"

otherwise, this mission would be to repair the hubble, which from a pure science perspective has been the single most useful object ever put into space.

Frankly, if we wanted to, we could reasonably send up 3 or 4 hubbles for quite less than the cost of the ISS. maybe even more, when you consider that with many of them up there, there is less urgent need to service one or more of them with a shuttle mission.

from an exploration point of view, manned space missions don't make much sense to me anymore. We've studied the crap out of zero-g environments and what they do to the human body. we are pretty well versed with that. Aside from further studies of zero-g on humans, there is no reason to send people up to do what machines and robots are perfectly capable of doing. Since machines and robots don't need to breathe, we can do so much cheaper, and with much less pain when a mission crashes and burns.

Militarily, I think the same thing is true. almost anything we could want to do in space to project force (at this point, mostly shooting down or disabling enemy satellites, and to a lesser extent missiles) do not require people in space.

Don't get me wrong...the idea of people in space and on other planets/moons is pretty cool...but until we have a concrete idea of where we should be headed with manned space exploration (and new propusion systems to get us there a little faster), I think it's a colossal waste of money and resources.

King Crimson
7/6/2006, 04:15 PM
those are my thoughts exactly, Ike. those omelettes looked tasty this morning. be sure and wish your mother Happy Birthday before today's pod mission.

http://www.beware-of-art.com/images/journal/2004/08/HAL/hal-400.jpg

:D

sooneron
7/6/2006, 04:17 PM
from an exploration point of view, manned space missions don't make much sense to me anymore. We've studied the crap out of zero-g environments and what they do to the human body. we are pretty well versed with that. Aside from further studies of zero-g on humans, there is no reason to send people up to do what machines and robots are perfectly capable of doing. Since machines and robots don't need to breathe, we can do so much cheaper, and with much less pain when a mission crashes and burns.

Why do you hate me??

http://www.telephonelines.net/fun_photos/5021.jpg

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 04:18 PM
Don't get me wrong...the idea of people in space and on other planets/moons is pretty cool...but until we have a concrete idea of where we should be headed with manned space exploration (and new propusion systems to get us there a little faster), I think it's a colossal waste of money and resources.
Good Stuff Ike.

IB4OU2
7/6/2006, 04:27 PM

I don't care whether they send anymore manned flights up or not since it's a REAL pain in the a** dealing with the extensive processes and requirements related to building, testing and qualifying hardware destined for manned spaceflight. We support and build systems for satellites as well and the requirements are still vast but it's nothing like the requirements for manned spaceflight hardware.

Ike
7/6/2006, 04:34 PM
I don't care whether they send anymore manned flights up or not since it's a REAL pain in the a** dealing with the extensive processes and requirements related to building, testing and qualifying hardware destined for manned spaceflight. We support and build systems for sattelites as well and the requirements are still vast but it's nothing like the requirements for manned spaceflight hardware.

As is to be expected really...space is the most hostile environment we will ever encounter (unless we try to send people into the sun maybe). To send people there, we have to either a) be as close to 100% certain as we can be that the equipment we send them up with will work as promised, or b) have little regard for the value of human life.

b isn't really an option as far as I'm concerned....

with satellites, yeah, we hate to lose the money if and when one of them fails, but in the end, its just money....it's not like we have to go and inform its mother that it died because somebody forgot that O-rings get brittle in the cold.

IB4OU2
7/6/2006, 04:43 PM
As is to be expected really...space is the most hostile environment we will ever encounter (unless we try to send people into the sun maybe). To send people there, we have to either a) be as close to 100% certain as we can be that the equipment we send them up with will work as promised, or b) have little regard for the value of human life.

b isn't really an option as far as I'm concerned....

with satellites, yeah, we hate to lose the money if and when one of them fails, but in the end, its just money....it's not like we have to go and inform its mother that it died because somebody forgot that O-rings get brittle in the cold.

Absolutely Ike, tin whiskering has been a hot topic for several years now and has created problems with subsystems and components on several satellites. Pure tin on component leads is a big problem and now that the european community has adopted the ROHS (lead free) requirements several of the overseas component suppliers provide pure tin parts with no change in P/N. The bastards...:mad: