PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for whackjobs trying to get off using insanity defense

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 12:29 PM
The Supremes upheld Arizona law which says you can't just claim you're nuts, you gotta prove you didn't know what you did was wrong when you blew away a cop.

check it out under Clark v. Arizona

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/05slipopinion.html

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 12:34 PM
Is this cause for Dead Cops to celebrate? ;)

slickdawg
7/6/2006, 12:40 PM
These azzhole lawyers will drum up another way to get their clients off
on the insanity bit. Nevermind they kill cops, innocent bystanders, and
their intended victims, it's all because mommy and daddy didn't treat them
right 30 years ago.

bullsh*t.

Ike
7/6/2006, 01:23 PM
so you are telling me that if I rob a bank whilst possessed by the ghost of a 1920's mobster, that in order to prove MY innocence to the court, I have to go drag that same ghost into a courtroom to testify, and then ensure that he will incriminate himself??

what kind of craziness is this??!?!!!!!!!1111one

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:30 PM
so you are telling me that if I rob a bank whilst possessed by the ghost of a 1920's mobster, that in order to prove MY innocence to the court, I have to go drag that same ghost into a courtroom to testify, and then ensure that he will incriminate himself??

what kind of craziness is this??!?!!!!!!!1111one

No, it means you gotta convince the jury you were so batsh1t crazy you didn't know it was wrong to rob that bank. Merely relying on the influence of said ghost won't do it...unless you could prove he really had a gun to your head and made you do it, but that's a whole 'nuther kettle of tamales.;)

slickdawg
7/6/2006, 01:33 PM
So where does Pee Wee Herman fit in this thread title?

http://www.mugshots.net/pee_wee_herman/pee_wee_herman.jpg

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:36 PM
These azzhole lawyers will drum up another way to get their clients off
on the insanity bit. Nevermind they kill cops, innocent bystanders, and
their intended victims, it's all because mommy and daddy didn't treat them
right 30 years ago.

bullsh*t.

No, this is a good decision. It means that sort of thing won't cut it. Stop and think how hard it would be to prove you didn't know something was wrong (like shooting a cop you were intentionally aiming at) when you did it. That other defense to which you allude (poor raising) don't float in most places, hasn't for years.

Think about it this way, the guy in this case was convicted of killing a cop he testified he thought was inhabited by a space alien. Now, if we let everyone just go off killing people they think are inhabited by space aliens, we'd open the door to all kinds of mayhem.;)

mdklatt
7/6/2006, 01:38 PM
Think about it this way, the guy in this case was convicted of killing a cop he testified he thought was inhabited by a space alien. Now, if we let everyone just go off killing people they think are inhabited by space aliens, we'd open the door to all kinds of mayhem.;)

But what about the people that really do think they're inhabited by space aliens?

Ike
7/6/2006, 01:38 PM
No, it means you gotta convince the jury you were so batsh1t crazy you didn't know it was wrong to rob that bank. Merely relying on the influence of said ghost won't do it...unless you could prove he really had a gun to your head and made you do it, but that's a whole 'nuther kettle of tamales.;)

Its not just the influence of said ghost...I'm talking full on posession, whereby the 'perpatrator' has no physical control of his body...He can know he is doing something wrong the whole time, but be powerless to stop it.

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 01:39 PM
People,

Less than 1% of people who claim insanity get away with it. It's a highly charged claim, but very, very rarely does it actually work. Very rarely. Did I say it works very rarely yet? In fact, it probably only works when there really are insane people involved. M'kay?

The reason you think more people get away with it is that the Newsidiots misinform you when someone does plead insanity. If they would go the intellectual equivalent of one extra inch and tell you how very rarely those claim are successful, all would be well. But, they don't, so everytime someone claims it, there's a big to do.

Wasteful. Very wasteful. Very.

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 01:40 PM
So if you run into a Cop that is possessed by an Alien Being...you should play possum and not let him know that you know? How should we deal with this type situations now? :D

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 01:40 PM
...whereby the 'perpatrator' has no physical control of his body...He can know he is doing something wrong the whole time, but be powerless to stop it.

This sounds like me after I've had lunch at Taco Bell! :D

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:41 PM
But what about the people that really do think they're inhabited by space aliens? Fine, but they gotta PROVE they thought it was fine to blast away at people so infected with space aliens, and they also gotta make a jury buy it.

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:41 PM
So if you run into a Cop that is possessed by an Alien Being...you should play possum and not let him know that you know? How should we deal with this type situations now? :D

Alert the authorities. 911.

mdklatt
7/6/2006, 01:42 PM
Fine, but they gotta PROVE they thought it was fine to blast away at people so infected with space aliens

Isn't it the burden of the prosecution to prove that they didn't?

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 01:43 PM
Alert the authorities. 911.
I don't trust them either. :D

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 01:44 PM
If you get a sample of Space Alien DNA before you shoot him...could that prove you weren't crazy and that you were just trying to save the World?

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:57 PM
Isn't it the burden of the prosecution to prove that they didn't?

No, when nuttiness is used as a defense in most places, the burden of proof is on the defendant. IOW, there is a presumption of sanity he has to overcome.

Okla-homey
7/6/2006, 01:58 PM
If you get a sample of Space Alien DNA before you shoot him...could that prove you weren't crazy and that you were just trying to save the World?

Only if its legally open season on space aliens. That's a matter for the legislature, not the shooter.:D

slickdawg
7/6/2006, 02:01 PM
No, this is a good decision. It means that sort of thing won't cut it. Stop and think how hard it would be to prove you didn't know something was wrong (like shooting a cop you were intentionally aiming at) when you did it. That other defense to which you allude (poor raising) don't float in most places, hasn't for years.

I'm just sayin' - some stinkin lawyer will try to find another way to get them
off.

mdklatt
7/6/2006, 02:06 PM
I'm just sayin' - some stinkin lawyer will try to find another way to get them
off.

Damn those bastards for doing their jobs!

Stoop Dawg
7/6/2006, 02:07 PM
I don't recall the Men In Black ever having these kinds of issues.

NormanPride
7/6/2006, 02:10 PM
What if I just really really hated that guy?

And his friend.

And the 10 other people in that bank.

slickdawg
7/6/2006, 02:11 PM
I don't recall the Men In Black ever having these kinds of issues.

So true, so true.

Czar Soonerov
7/6/2006, 02:13 PM

http://www.moviezilla.org/images/movies/tl12.jpg

I watched "They Live" last night....

Czar Soonerov
7/6/2006, 02:14 PM
Roddy Piper was very underrated as an actor.

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 02:18 PM
Roddy Piper was very underrated as an actor.
Great Movie IMO.

And yes he was.

Czar Soonerov
7/6/2006, 02:21 PM
My favorite lines from the film:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Life's a bitch, and she's back in heat!

You... you look like your face fell in the cheese dip back in 1957.

Viking Kitten
7/6/2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.moviezilla.org/images/movies/tl12.jpg

I watched "They Live" last night....

Yeah... after the computer crashed... after he lost his contest entry... after he woke me up by shouting obscenites at the computer... he decides 4 a.m. would be a keen time to turn some crappy B movie on the bedroom TV.

I have some foggy recollection of a 10-minute fight scene that sounded a lot like a gay sex scene.

Wait a minute... was that a crappy B movie???

Fugue
7/6/2006, 03:13 PM
My favorite lines from the film:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum.
Life's a bitch, and she's back in heat!

You... you look like your face fell in the cheese dip back in 1957.

I'm too lazy to search for this but Pat screwed this up on here one time and said something like:
"I'm here to chew bubblegum and take names."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA1

carry on...

yermom
7/6/2006, 03:13 PM
why didn't he just put on the glasses?

i love that they spoofed the fight scene with the cripple fight on South Park

Viking Kitten
7/6/2006, 03:15 PM
why didn't he just put on the glasses?

i love that they spoofed the fight scene with the cripple fight on South Park

Dude. I was like... "please just put on the glasses so I can go back to sleep. I'm really tired."

Mjcpr
7/6/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm too lazy to search for this but Pat screwed this up on here one time and said something like:
"I'm here to chew bubblegum and take names."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA1

carry on...

I'm about to chew your bubble gum.

Mjcpr
7/6/2006, 03:17 PM
I'm about to chew your bubble gum.
Wait, take your name I mean.

Fugue
7/6/2006, 03:19 PM
Wait, take your name I mean.

i've gotta find that thread. :eddie:

Mjcpr
7/6/2006, 03:20 PM
i've gotta find that thread. :eddie:

I'm sure I did it on purpose. :D

Fugue
7/6/2006, 03:21 PM
I'm sure I did it on purpose. :D

:D

RacerX
7/6/2006, 03:55 PM
So where does Pee Wee Herman fit in this thread title?

http://www.mugshots.net/pee_wee_herman/pee_wee_herman.jpg

Still a better spokesman for safe sex than Magic Johnson.