PDA

View Full Version : Tabon Update!

jackal42601
7/5/2006, 09:25 PM
It seems only fitting that with Daniel Tabon's late emergence onto the recruiting scene that he would also be a bit delayed in his arrival to Norman.

Venables is undoubtedly excited about the idea of Tabon being on campus this fall.
However, thankfully for Sooners fans it looks like that delay will be much sooner than had been expected after various reports noted that Tabon was short of where he needed to be academically. According to Altus, Okla. head coach Lyn Hepner things should be all in line for Tabon to arrive late next week.

"Daniel was down not too long ago while some of our guys were going through 7-on-7 and told me that he had received the necessary hours to graduate and would be reporting on June 15," said Hepner. "I'm just so happy for him, he deserves this chance."

Previously the Altus head coach had displayed genuine sorrow for his prize prospects not being able to fulfill a lifelong dream of suiting up in the Crimson and Cream.

"I'm hoping for kind of a 'deathbed reprieve' for him. I don't see how he can graduate from Altus, but he can maybe go to summer school get the credits he need and be at Oklahoma in the fall. I hope that can happen for Daniel," he said on May 22. "I think if he can just get up there, things will turn around for him, but I just don't know anymore."

It seems that has finally come to pass through Tabon's diligent work since leaving Altus to be closer to Norman and the football program he had chosen to play for. While nothing seems to be concrete with Tabon, Hepner's excitement could hardly be contained.

"He told me flat out that he had done what he needed to and would be reporting," he said.

Tabon was arguably Oklahoma's second most talented prospect in the impressive class of 2006, and as a speedy linebacker prospect there is little doubt who the most excited Sooner is to hear of the news of Tabon's qualification.

On National Signing Day Brent Venables could finally gush to SoonerScoop.com editor Carey Murdock about his talented defensive crop of 2006, and certainly went on about Tabon's ability to be a playmaker at multiple positions.

"What was noticeable about him is wherever you put him on the field, and they put him everywhere, he had a great impact and did things extremely well," said Venables. "Whether it was receiver, running back, quarterback, returning kicks, defensive end or at safety – he played everywhere and he was awfully, awfully successful and he made a big difference on the field every game."

Venables, who has coached Butkus finalists and a pair of winners, talked about Tabon simply needing to find a position before he blossomed into a top player.

"Once he gets settled into a position and really starts to fine tune a particular spot, he has a chance to be an awfully good player for you in time," he explained. "He has a frame and he's got the size. He's 6-3, 215 and he's a 4.5-type of guy that's a knock-back tackler. He likes to play the game. He has a great, great motor."

Perhaps Venables is a big fan of Tabon due to their similar background as somewhat forgotten recruits.

"Those are the ones you like and enjoy in the recruiting process – the one's nobody knows about. Then they kind of show up and boy did he."

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/5/2006, 09:40 PM
Great freakin news

The Consumate Showman
7/5/2006, 09:51 PM
I think that article should say July 15. I met Daniel at the Red/White game with his Coach and he was a really nice kid....hope he can make it and make a big difference a la Shoate, Cumby, Lehman, Calmus, et al......

Collier11
7/5/2006, 09:57 PM
Lets hope he can make it and not get scared off by college like michael hawkins. I would like to see him turn his life around then be a great football player for us, in that order!

The Consumate Showman
7/6/2006, 05:51 PM
Lets hope he can make it and not get scared off by college like michael hawkins. I would like to see him turn his life around then be a great football player for us, in that order!

AGGGGH!!!!! Don't say that!! Man, if Hawk would've sucked it up and stayed........who knows????????

Collier11
7/6/2006, 06:35 PM
I know I know, I just really like to see kids who come from tough circumstances make it in life, but hey...Mike is entering his 2nd year in the NFL so maybe he is straightened out

The Consumate Showman
7/6/2006, 06:39 PM
let's hope...................

sooner94
7/6/2006, 07:39 PM
cool. sounds like he has a chance to follow in Lehman and Calmus' footsteps as a great LB from the Sooner state.

KingDavid
8/26/2006, 08:07 AM
I heard there is some new info. on this kid . . . and that he is toast. Please advise, someone.

stoopified
8/26/2006, 08:41 AM
I heard there is some new info. on this kid . . . and that he is toast. Please advise, someone.Pass the grape jelly. :D

Ruuuuuufus
8/26/2006, 10:23 AM
He is actually on campus now. Not sure if he will be with the team this semester or not. The guy has been through alot... I hope he can be a success on and of the field.

BoogercountySooner
8/26/2006, 12:31 PM
He is at OU!!

Soonerwolf
8/27/2006, 07:10 AM
I heard there is some new info. on this kid . . . and that he is toast. Please advise, someone.

Where did you "hear this new info." from? Can you list a credible source or provide an actual link that can substantiate your story?????

:mack: Hook 'em :mack: Hook 'em :kelvin: :meat: :rcmad: :twinkies: Hook 'em

KingDavid
9/1/2006, 12:36 AM
Where did you "hear this new info." from? Can you list a credible source or provide an actual link that can substantiate your story?????

:mack: Hook 'em :mack: Hook 'em :kelvin: :meat: :rcmad: :twinkies: Hook 'em

nothing credible, which of couse explains why i was asking, not telling. i'm glad to hear he's on campus.

can you provide a list or a credible source or an actual link for why you are using little "quoties" and multiple annoying question marks????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Easy180
12/7/2006, 11:48 AM
Anyone have an update on Tabon?...Guy on another forum is asking what's up with him

Rhino
12/7/2006, 12:23 PM
Haven't heard anything new, but hopefully he's still on course to be a gray shirt candidate.

Collier11
12/7/2006, 12:45 PM
I thought he was on campus, wtf? How come we get these guys who you want to root for but cant seem to get it together??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/7/2006, 12:53 PM
he's on campus

soonerloyal
12/7/2006, 01:17 PM
I hope he's straightening out and will TCoB. I was born in Altus (eeeewww) and frankly, there's a lot there for kids to have to rise above. Many kids get spoiled and given a pass when they screw up; or they get swallowed up in gang or drug activity. It's a big bowl of nothing out there.

I hear he's got quite a lot of talent that he can develop to shine at this next level. Whether he seizes this opportunity to be surrounded by fantastic mentors and thrive, or screws up and expects to be bailed out, it's all in his hands. He's already improved his chances by getting the hell outta Jackson County, for sure.

Collier11
12/7/2006, 01:31 PM
he's on campus

Is he just taking classes or is he a part of the team??

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/7/2006, 01:47 PM
as a gray shirt, he can take a certain number of classes and his eligibility won't start but he can't practice with the team.

opksooner
12/7/2006, 03:53 PM
Line him up some tutors...............somebody.

stoopified
12/7/2006, 04:36 PM
Excellrnt

goingoneight
12/7/2006, 09:25 PM
Dounds like another Nic Harris to me, put him anywhere on the field and he dominates. I like the comments about his energy, and the fact that he's "dreamt of wearing the crimson and cream..." Makes me feel less Bomarized.

Alum81
12/7/2006, 10:03 PM
I hope he's straightening out and will TCoB. I was born in Altus (eeeewww) and frankly, there's a lot there for kids to have to rise above. Many kids get spoiled and given a pass when they screw up; or they get swallowed up in gang or drug activity. It's a big bowl of nothing out there.

I hear he's got quite a lot of talent that he can develop to shine at this next level. Whether he seizes this opportunity to be surrounded by fantastic mentors and thrive, or screws up and expects to be bailed out, it's all in his hands. He's already improved his chances by getting the hell outta Jackson County, for sure.

While I wasn't born in Altus, I did go to and graduate from high school there. I certainly wouldn't call it like you do, and I don't know where you come off with the "gang or drug" activity. And my high school experience was anything BUT a big bowl of nothing - so sorry you had such a hard time there! Aside from that - I hope this kid gets it worked out and can play for the team of his dreams!

usmc-sooner
12/7/2006, 10:15 PM
guys it sounds like this guy makes worse decisions than Bomar. I kinda wonder how he'll do with some of the decisions he's made in the past.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 10:24 PM
guys it sounds like this guy makes worse decisions than Bomar. I kinda wonder how he'll do with some of the decisions he's made in the past.

Who ?

usmc-sooner
12/7/2006, 10:41 PM
Who ?

Tabon isn't this the guy who got ticked and then quit HS? If were going to harp on Bomar for bad choices, you can't ignore this guys past. Plus there are a few other rumors about him.

Hey but all in all I'll trust Stoops and whatever he decides but let's just say I'll see it when I believe it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2006, 10:43 PM
I guess I should have said "Who is this Bomar guy?"