PDA

View Full Version : As promised, Chris Patterson's Situation.....Really.

The Consumate Showman
7/5/2006, 08:54 PM
This info via ouinsider from a legit poster.

Chris Patterson: What happened.
I have posted a bunch on CP's eligibility status. I was wrong.

On Friday I went through Miami on my way to Joplin Mo. I tried to get a
hold of somebody up there who might know what exactly was going on. I
ended up talking to one of CP's coaches (who is no longer there) at the
recommendation of the people there. He got a hold of me a little while
ago.

Here is the deal.

Patterson will have the hours to graduate with an Associates this summer
which is an NCAA requirement. He has the GPA needed for the NCAA (2.0) and
he is eligible by OU's rules. OU will accept all his hours and his
Associates.

What has happened is that the NCAA requires 48 hours of the JUCO degree to
go to a degree offered at OU.

In Patterson's case 39 hours are going to transfer as Gen Ed to OU as they
are required at all Okla institutions.

The other 21 hours of Patterson's electives of his "general studies
degree" were a hodge podge of stuff.

He needed 9 hours (of those 21) to transfer into a specific degree program
at OU. None of the 21 hours matched up with any degree at OU. Thus, he
will have to take 9 hours more in a specific degree tract such as business
or social science at the JUCO.

My source said that he wasn't sure where the Big Ten stuff came from but
said they might have tried to match those 21 hours up to a degree program
at another school there.

He further went on to say that it probably wouldn't work because a lot of
the Gen Ed courses out of NEO might not transfer to another state as they
do to OU.

He confirmed that Patterson's advisor (Gary Rose) left after the fall
semester and the new guy didn't know about the "48 hour toward a degree
rule." All they were worried about was Patterson graduating.

He finally said that the whole time Patterson had been there he was trying
to graduate in a year and a half and it backfired as Patterson would take
20 hours and end up dropping a bunch of them and ended up in worse shape
than he would have had he taken a normal load.

I know this guy because he recruited my foster son to NEO last year and my
foster son followed him to his new school. :(

BOOMERBRADLEY
7/5/2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info

spek to you, man!

The Consumate Showman
7/5/2006, 09:51 PM
thx!

sooneron
7/5/2006, 09:55 PM
How many people had their degree tract screwed up by advisors? THIS SUCKS FOR HIM.

Collier11
7/5/2006, 09:59 PM
Before I transferred to OU my soph year, my advisors at UCO were idiots...plain and simple!!! Lets hope he can take these this summer but if not, good luck to him and hopefully he can get here for the spring semester

StoopTroup
7/5/2006, 10:21 PM
How many people had their degree tract screwed up by advisors? THIS SUCKS FOR HIM.
It's got to be a quite a large number.:mad:

goingoneight
7/5/2006, 10:33 PM
a 2.0 GPA??? I wouldn't boast that, personally... Hope he can hang in college...

Collier11
7/5/2006, 10:47 PM
2.0 are the requirements to transfer in...youre not an aggie are you ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/5/2006, 11:37 PM
I don't think 2.0 is his GPA but the lowest possible allowed ;)

crimson&cream
7/5/2006, 11:51 PM
Thats why I always filled out my own enrollment at NSU and then hunted down another Psych Prof to sign off on it as I would tell them I couldn't find my advisor.
When I got to graduate school I had to take a class taught by my advisor and as I entered the class room for that class the first time he welcomed me in and told the class that I was one of his advisee's that advised himself all through undergraduate work. Of course I took a seat in the back.LOL

TripleOption14
7/6/2006, 06:26 AM
So basically all his jackass advisor had to do was schedule him two classes (9hrs.) that were going into a major of his choice at OU?? Talk about incompetent!!! And further more he couldn't do these two classes during the summer? Weird I guess its kinda late now since summer school has been going on for some time. What an unfortunate twist of fate.

MiccoMacey
7/6/2006, 09:20 AM
In all fairness to his advisor, who was probably just a coach or something as mine was when I went to NEO, the requirements for getting into different programs is crazy weird.

Their major goal has to be to get them to graduate since each conference has slightly different rules, and each school in each conference has slightly different rules as well. Unless CP told him he specifically only wanted to go to OU, there are waaay to many scenarios to try to fulfill any one requirement.

Maybe CP told him he specifically wanted to go to OU next (and then again maybe he didn't), all I'm saying is thre are so many rules that it's near impossible even with each university's educational track right in front of you. It's even harder if you don't know for sure where someone wants to go.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
7/6/2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks a lot! Great info! Hook 'em

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 10:49 AM
Listen, I don't care who his advisors were. WTF is going on when you can't get out of a f'n JUCO? This isn't f'n Stanford, Rice, or Yale! You can take hour after hour of jerk off classes at JUCOs. The kid just didn't work. To blame advisors? Give me an f'n break.

TripleOption14
7/6/2006, 11:00 AM
[ Down This Wall]Listen, I don't care who his advisors were. WTF is going on when you can't get out of a f'n JUCO? This isn't f'n Stanford, Rice, or Yale! You can take hour after hour of jerk off classes at JUCOs. The kid just didn't work. To blame advisors? Give me an f'n break.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read the thread?? He's getting out of NEO just fine. Getting in somewhere else is the problem. Shgeezzz :rolleyes:

Tear Down This Wall
7/6/2006, 11:03 AM
But, he didn't get out to the point where he could get into 90% of the Division I colleges to play football.

rhombic21
7/6/2006, 11:07 AM
Did you even read the thread?? He's getting out of NEO just fine. Getting in somewhere else is the problem. Shgeezzz :rolleyes:
Still, if the kid knew that he wanted to go to OU, and he knew that his academics were an issue, he probably should have double checked, or triple checked everything to make sure that he was on course to do so.

It sounds to me like he took a bunch of blowoff courses because he wasn't paying that much attention to what he needed to get done, and now it's caught up with him.

It's really not that hard to get this information and make sure yourself that the classes will transfer. Why in the world would you take 21 hours that don't transfer? The advisors and counselors are there to help you, but in the end, it's up to each individual student to make sure that they're taking classes that they need to take. I never took a single class in undergraduate just because an advisor told me to, without making sure that it satisfied a requirement to a degree, or would transfer to OU. It's really not that difficult to find out. You can very easily call the Academic Records and Transcripts offices of each school yourself and they'll tell you which courses transfer and which don't.

snp
7/6/2006, 11:12 AM
But, he didn't get out to the point where he could get into 90% of the Division I colleges to play football.

He didn't want to play at 90% of the colleges, since a good bit don't accept JUCOS, a lot are too far away, a lot aren't good, etc etc.

He wanted to go to OU and his advisor dropped the ball. You accept a certain amount of trust in a university employee that is paid to advise you. He believed in the person, and they almost screwed him.

Sooners78
7/6/2006, 11:58 AM
He confirmed that Patterson's advisor (Gary Rose) left after the fall
semester and the new guy didn't know about the "48 hour toward a degree
rule." All they were worried about was Patterson graduating.

I believe it. I work at a junior college and advisors have no accountability, no motivation to go above and beyond and do a good job. It is their job to take care of this. It's all they do all day long! Also, I can't believe that OU's athletic department didn't have someone looking at this situation so that it could be corrected in time.

I don't think it's fair to blame "smoke" for this. I've taken an advisor at his word many times because he's paid to advise.

I wonder if he could get 9 hours by correspondence from university of phoenix in a month? I'd volunteer my services to tutor him.

OUTrumpet
7/6/2006, 12:21 PM

Yeah, from going from last November "Yeah, you can graduate spring 2006!"

Final degree check.

Yeah, you can graduate spring 07! You need this class, but it has a 3000 level requirement class, which is offered only in the fall!

Landthief 1972
7/6/2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, my advisors at UCO blew goats. I had to take an extra year, filling in holes with phys ed classes and other pointless classes just to keep my full-time status and keep my schollies. I'm sure the school enjoyed the extra year of tuition, though.

stoopified
7/6/2006, 02:06 PM
Well it sucks and the NCAA should make an exception since he DID graduate.Whether or not he could stay eligible at OU or not is a seperate issue.I wish him GOOD LUCK.

The Consumate Showman
7/6/2006, 05:48 PM
Collegiate advisors SUCK so freakin bad on all levels. My three different advisors at ECU would often ask me what I needed to take and that they had NO clue as to what most of the grad requirements were other than the total # of hours for our particular department. All schools should make these advisors accountable for their students and what happens with their respective schedules and education overall...