PDA

View Full Version : Gas Price Question

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 01:54 PM
Okay first of all I am not really the type to bitch about the gas prices. But here is my question. Remember when Gas was like 20 cents more expensive during spring break...but that was because the gas companies were preparing for the summer and the oil places for some reasons had to adjust and just coincidentally the prices went up during spring break and the reason the prices went up was so that they wouldn't go too high during the summer. Now, just mysteriously they shoot up about 20 cents for the 4th of July weekend....will the gas companies come out and say this was because they were preparing for the beginning school year or something. WHy don't they just say....Every major holiday or break period we are going to jump the prices just because we can...that would feel better than them making up some bull**** excuse that doesn't make sense!! Or at least to me the truth has always been preferable to lies

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 02:00 PM
It's simple demand. More people drive over the 4 of July, so the prices rises because of increased demand. The couple that with increased tension in the Middle East and Nigeria and the traders get nervous, and that pushes raw crude higher too. There isn't a boogie man, it's just economics.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 03:00 PM
See Increased Tension is another one of those REALLY gay reasons they give for higher price. I mean seriously has Nigeria or the MIddle East every been THAT stable. I totally don't have a problem with them raising the gas prices just because they want to...but please just say that is why you are doing it and don't insult people's intelligence by saying it is totally out of their control.

yermom
7/4/2006, 03:06 PM
i'm still not sure why they get to charge what they want for what they already have at the stations

the gas in the tank in the ground didn't cost more

nothing else is priced like that to the consumer that i know of

OUinFLA
7/4/2006, 03:09 PM

hookers vary their rates depending on which convention is in town.

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 03:09 PM
See Increased Tension is another one of those REALLY gay reasons they give for higher price. I mean seriously has Nigeria or the MIddle East every been THAT stable. I totally don't have a problem with them raising the gas prices just because they want to...but please just say that is why you are doing it and don't insult people's intelligence by saying it is totally out of their control.
But that's what traders react to when setting the price. The same effect occurs in all commodity markets. The goal of the traders is essentially risk management, and that's why percieved risk dictates higher prices. Until you figure out how to trade commodities with out people, that's just soemthing that must be dealt with.

yermom
7/4/2006, 03:24 PM

that isn't too bad a comparison ;)

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 03:27 PM
i'm still not sure why they get to charge what they want for what they already have at the stations

the gas in the tank in the ground didn't cost more

Because most stations change faster because the prices are linked to futures. So instead of a delayed impact on price you get an instant impact. It tends to work itself out over time.

SOONER44EVER
7/4/2006, 03:29 PM
It's simple demand. More people drive over the 4 of July, so the prices rises because of increased demand. The couple that with increased tension in the Middle East and Nigeria and the traders get nervous, and that pushes raw crude higher too. There isn't a boogie man, it's just economics.
If its supply and demand why did gas prices go down over the Memorial Day weekend?

Sooner24
7/4/2006, 03:30 PM

Or if it's dolemite shopping around. :D

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 03:31 PM
If its supply and demand why did gas prices go down over the Memorial Day weekend?
Because Gas Inventories had been building all spring. There was more gas than needed in the system, so prices went down. Inventories have dropped sharply recently, and with higher demand, prices go up.

SOONER44EVER
7/4/2006, 03:33 PM
So prices went up when nobody was traveling and then went down when more people were traveling? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

noleamite
7/4/2006, 03:34 PM

heh:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 03:36 PM
I am just amazed how the inventory ran low Spring Break and 4th of July weekend...wouldn't they increase output for these periods just because they know it is coming...It's like a store stocking up on beer before the 4th of July so they don't run out...

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 03:38 PM
So prices went up when nobody was traveling and then went down when more people were traveling? Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:
Again world price and supply figures into this too. The markets have been more volitile the last month, so you see greater price swings. When the market is calm, it reacts differently. Plus inventories were high after Memorial Day so people back off their stockpiling, then when there was a decrease in inventories prices rebounded. The enegery companies can't react perfectly to consumer behavior, so you occasonially see counter cyclical behavior.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 03:40 PM
So does Gas go bad? Can't they just stick it in a warehouse until they need it or something? See I am uneducated in this whole thing.

royalfan5
7/4/2006, 03:40 PM
I am just amazed how the inventory ran low Spring Break and 4th of July weekend...wouldn't they increase output for these periods just because they know it is coming...It's like a store stocking up on beer before the 4th of July so they don't run out...There is not very much excess capacity in the system, there is only so much stockpiling a company can do, most of the increase in inventory was from a reduction in consumption, not a increase in production.

SoonerInKCMO
7/4/2006, 04:58 PM
Meh. I buy gas every three weeks or so. Couldn't tell you if gas prices had gone up, down or sideways since the last time.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 05:06 PM
I noticed because I finally ran low on gas after driving to Yukon last night. Gas was at 2.93 a gallon for the premium I have to put in my car. So I decided I can wait another day or two on how much I have left.

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 06:56 PM
I paid $2.79 yesterday.

boomersooner28
7/4/2006, 07:41 PM
Here is my question: the gas prices shot up last year because of the hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. Well, gas is already almost $3.00/gallon, so what happens this year when a major hurricane comes through? $4/5$ gallon?

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 08:06 PM
Y2K!

TheHumanAlphabet
7/4/2006, 08:12 PM

Its a COMMODITY sold on an OPEN MARKET. Blame the commodity people who jump at a fart in the middle east and raise gas futures and spot market gas prices....

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/4/2006, 08:20 PM
Oh I don't blame the gas men...they are semi-dumb for not having the prices higher...they could make even more profit until the alternate fuel stuff comes along and the way congress and our government are doing so much in that area...they could get away with it for quite a while!

49r
7/4/2006, 09:35 PM
Apparently gas prices are still too low. People are still buying SUV's.

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 11:37 PM
We're turning in our 2004 Pacifica in 3 months.

Once the warranty went out things start happening.

I don't care for Chrylser.

Honda and Toyota are on our shopping list now.

What ever we get will be 30+ MPG.

hurricane'bone
7/4/2006, 11:42 PM
Apparently gas prices are still too low. People are still buying SUV's.

Or the people buying SUV's work in the OIL/GAS business.

nanimonai
7/5/2006, 03:49 AM
If people will pay $20 per gallon for ranch dressing, they can scrape together $4 a gallon for gas.

noleamite
7/5/2006, 04:20 AM
Don't think Ranch will get you to far on the freeway.

Okla-homey
7/5/2006, 06:42 AM
Ever notice that Christmas cards cost more before Christmas than they do right afterwards? It's kinda the same dealio with gas prices.

Capitalism=charging the highest price people are willing to pay for stuff. Stockholders get a bit miffed when companies don't do that.;)

soonerjoker
7/5/2006, 09:13 AM
O-H
good points.

all the market will bear.

Okla-homey
7/5/2006, 10:10 AM
O-H
good points.

all the market will bear.

For better or worse, that's the way it works and its the best economic system yet invented so WTF are ya gonna do but pay it?...and perhaps consider purchasing more efficient vehicles.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/5/2006, 10:25 AM
See I don't mind them saying "we are a capitalist country and we are going to hand you your *** on a very expensive platter" But when they are like "A tree in Pakistan was disturbed by northeasterly wind, so gas prices went up 2.34, we wish it didn't happen but what are we supposed to do" is when i get ****ed.

Okla-homey
7/5/2006, 10:34 AM
See I don't mind them saying "we are a capitalist country and we are going to hand you your *** on a very expensive platter" But when they are like "A tree in Pakistan was disturbed by northeasterly wind, so gas prices went up 2.34, we wish it didn't happen but what are we supposed to do" is when i get ****ed.

Exactly. In most areas of life, honesty is the best policy...except for voluntary disclosures of marital infidelities when the opposite spouse would never find out otherwise.;)

StoopTroup
7/5/2006, 10:39 AM
Gas Companies are like drug dealers.

Get em hooked and then make em pay.