PDA

View Full Version : Official 'What have you eaten for the 4th?' thread

Ike
7/4/2006, 12:26 PM
Saturday: Ate at Kaiserhof, a German restaurant in Bradford, IL. Had the duck which was frickin awesome, wife had Sauerbraten. Listened to their accordion man...who was pretty good.

Yesterday: Ate at the Naperville Rib fest. Between the 5 meat-eaters of us that went we went through 3 full racks of ribs and a half dozen chicken wings. The ribs were from: 17th Street (some rib place in Ohio that had a nice apple-ish BBQ goin), an Aussie Ribery who somehow managed to make ribs that stayed hot forever, and Johnsons (the home of the thermonuclear BBQ sauce...seriously, its frickin hot). Also had a big *** plate full of fried veggies. Yummy ****. Oh, and somehow they managed to drag the Doobie Brothers from beyond the grave to play there as well.

Today: will be grillin with some of my friends and watching fireworks from the backyard.

dolemitesooner
7/4/2006, 12:28 PM
I drank beer last night.....PACIFACO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Newbomb Turk
7/4/2006, 12:31 PM
Smoked ribs yesterday.

Chicken on the grill today.

King Crimson
7/4/2006, 01:03 PM
had a couple burgers at a BBQ last night. a couple Murphy's Irish Stouts.

making some cilantro garlic mashed potatoes for a backyard party later on. got some brats for the grill will probably hit the store for some more Murphy's and onions, hoagie rolls, and cherry pepper relish here in a bit.

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2006, 01:04 PM
So far today, a bowl of cold spaghetti to tide me over until the 5pm cookout.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 04:55 PM
Yesterday: Crusted porkchop with red beans & rice.

Today: I'm about to throw a kielbasa and some hot links on the grill. More red beans & rice will be forthcoming.

No booze for me - I'm still on the roids. ;)

Oldnslo
7/4/2006, 05:54 PM
Yesterday: cookout: grilled burgers

Today: Just made cheesy poofs and have been cajun potato salad all day. See, "spare gallon of potato salad" thread.

urgh.

TopDaugIn2000
7/4/2006, 05:57 PM
had fish last night for dinner (I'm in LA so I eat a TON of fresh fish..mmmm)

had french (freedom) toast for breakfast (guess that's a little ironic, but oh well, it was good)

we just had cherry vanilla diet dr. pepper floats out by the pool as a 'cool down' before we grill out later. having CHILI DOGS. hehehehe it's the relative's tradition to have chili dogs on the 4th, I think it's the ONLY time they will eat them.

Newbomb Turk
7/4/2006, 05:58 PM
chili dogs kick azz.

TopDaugIn2000
7/4/2006, 06:00 PM
ehhh, she bought the "hebrew national all beef" ones, which are chewy and REALLY salty (Achmed has bought them before). but oh well. I'll just drown it in chili (even if it doesn't have any beans :()

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 06:00 PM
Yesterday: a soccer-field polish sausage that burned the crap out of my mouth, followed by beef jerky, the great American road food for the last 300 years or so.

Today: a Persian stew of beek and okra in a rich and tangy red-brown sauce. Not exactly the traditional 4th of July food, but then I didn't have to cook out in the rain, either

TUSooner
7/4/2006, 06:02 PM
Yesterday: cookout: grilled burgers

Today: Just made cheesy poofs and have been cajun potato salad all day. See, "spare gallon of potato salad" thread.

urgh.
Ahh the famous cheesy poofs. You may have to post that recipe again.

hurricane'bone
7/4/2006, 06:02 PM
I had some Baby Spinach earlier.

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 06:05 PM
A turkey and bacon samich with banana pepper rings and hot pepper cheese.

King Crimson
7/4/2006, 06:10 PM
beek?

Jimminy Crimson
7/4/2006, 06:15 PM
Her name was... :texan:

Oldnslo
7/4/2006, 06:33 PM
Ahh the famous cheesy poofs. You may have to post that recipe again.
Nothing better than a fresh-from-the-oven cheesy poof!

1 cup grated Swiss or Gruyere
1 cup water
5 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup flour
5 large eggs at room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 425. Grate cheese
2. Bring the water, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a boil in a saucepan. When the butter is all melted, remove from heat.
3. Add all the flour to the water and stir it up with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the side of the pan clean. Yes, a wooden spoon.
4. Dump in the grated cheese and stir it in. When all of the cheese is incorporated into the ball o'dough, beat in 4 of the eggs, one at a time, until they're absorbed into the dough. Keep on a-stiring until the mixture is smooth, shiny and firm. This part, by the way, requires Great Fortitude with the Wooden Spoon.
5. Drop small spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Leave room for the poofs to expand. Beat the remaining egg with 1/2 tbsp water and wash over the tops of the uncooked poofs.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and all poofy. Immediately remove the poofs from the cookie sheet, or they'll stick like peanut butter to the roof of yo'mouf.

This goes from "Can I please have cheesy poofs" to "Thanks, Dad" in about 35 minutes.

Plus, I got a really big hug.

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 06:42 PM
Thread = bookmarked. I'll have to try this one sometime.

bri
7/4/2006, 06:44 PM
Oh lord....can't.....move.

Just had a couple of burgers off the grill with cheddar (actually, cheddar, colby and jack) fries and the previously-mentioned pasta salad. Washed down with a cold, delicious Shiner, and I'm a happy man.

A happy man who has to go take a nap now.

Mrs. Norm
7/4/2006, 06:49 PM
Norm made babyback ribs and spare ribs. They were sooooooo good!! I made potato salad, baked beans, and a blackberry cobbler. Yummy!

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 06:53 PM
We had the BBQ/4th of July food last night and set off $$$ fireworks until 11pm and until we smelled like a keg of gunpowder.

Tonight...

Homemade Enchiladas!

Mmmmmm....I smell them cooking right now...my belly is craving me to gorge myself until my eyes look like 10" tortillas. :D

olevetonahill
7/4/2006, 08:00 PM
Smoked a big ole doob for breakfast Im on my 2nd 12 pack for dinner ;)

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 11:11 PM
For the record, if it was ever in doubt: hot dogs are tasty goodness, but they are totally pwned by a Polish kielbasa. I'm still freakin' full.

I tried those Schwab's hot links from the store. Pretty good. Anyone know what kind of links they use at Van's Pig Stand? Those are about the best hot links I've had. The Schwab's were close, but not quite.

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 11:13 PM
I think there is a baby in my belly.

http://www.gabbyattic.com/truepix/fat%20bastard.jpg

ChickSoonerFan
7/4/2006, 11:49 PM
I have eaten too much today....WAY too much....'nuff said.

StoopTroup
7/4/2006, 11:51 PM
http://www.somersetmedicalcenter.com/magphotos/he-AlkaSeltzer.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
7/5/2006, 12:06 AM
had our chili dogs. they were good

just had some good ole strawberry shortcake for dessert. ahhh

we could even see a few fireworks from the house too

noleamite
7/5/2006, 12:28 AM
BBQ

Melo
7/5/2006, 01:02 AM
Sunday was brisket and everything that goes with it.

Today, I had... chinese food. :(

IB4OU2
7/5/2006, 08:01 AM
I smoked riblets and a rack of spare ribs to take to a friends July 4th cookout, we had the riblets and ribs with fried chicken, potato salad, baked bbq beans, homemade rolls and fresh chow chow on the side. This was topped off with homemade icecream and cake. That was some good hillbilly eatin' and there wasnt a rib leftover.

Mjcpr
7/5/2006, 08:41 AM
We grilled a flank steak, corn on the cob and grilled veggies.

If you've never tried flank steak, like me, I recommend it. We've had it twice and it was really good both times. Find a good marinade, marinade it overnight and grill it to medium rare (pink in the middle) and enjoy!

1stTimeCaller
7/5/2006, 08:41 AM
don't tell me what to do, Pat.

picasso
7/5/2006, 08:50 AM
tuna melt. same as every 4th day of the month.

Mjcpr
7/5/2006, 09:59 AM
don't tell me what to do, Pat.

Just try it and report back, dip****.

:D

7/5/2006, 10:18 AM
I had vitamins for breakfast, cottage cheese, salsa and wheat thins for lunch and cold water for dinner.

picasso
7/5/2006, 10:20 AM
I had vitamins for breakfast, cottage cheese, salsa and wheat thins for lunch and cold water for dinner.
no rice cakes? whuss.

Boarder
7/5/2006, 10:24 AM
For the record, if it was ever in doubt: hot dogs are tasty goodness, but they are totally pwned by a Polish kielbasa. I'm still freakin' full.

I tried those Schwab's hot links from the store. Pretty good. Anyone know what kind of links they use at Van's Pig Stand? Those are about the best hot links I've had. The Schwab's were close, but not quite.
Next time use the Slovacek's. They have regular and Jalapeno. I know they have them at Sam's, but I'm not sure where else in Norman.

They rule. They're what Dean uses at tailgates.

LoyalFan
7/6/2006, 04:52 AM
Launched the bassboat at 0500, 7/4/06, at Boerne (Ber-nee) Lake, Texas (Tex-***)fished until around 1PM, then repaired to the Long Branch saloon in Boerne (Ber-nee) for BBQ (Bee-Bee-Cue), brew (Broo), and various delightful side dishes provided by bar regulars.
Came home, ate chocolate ice cream, passed out.
Life is good.

LF

For an even better Glorious Fourth event, see thread entitled "A Knock at The Door"

GottaHavePride
7/6/2006, 09:25 AM
Next time use the Slovacek's. They have regular and Jalapeno. I know they have them at Sam's, but I'm not sure where else in Norman.

They rule. They're what Dean uses at tailgates.

those are good eating. I may try those next time. I thought about trying the Earl Campbell ones but the smallest pack they had was 12 or so, and I'm the only one here.