PDA

View Full Version : Who is overconfident OU or Texas?

soonervegas
7/4/2006, 08:59 AM
This is going to be one of those years where every person in the Cotton Bowl is absolutely convinced that their team will be walking away with a victory. Rarely, in the recent history of this rivalry have I seen two fan bases so confident (even though both teams will be ranked in the Top 8 preseason) about their chances of winning the RRS. So that begs the question, who is overconfident? Is it OU or Texas?

OU - has a very strong defense, great runningback, capable receivers, improving QB and questions at O-line (Lines usually make or break teams close in talent level).

Texas - has a buttload of quality/great returning starters at the skill positions and on both lines, but lacks a proven field general (Which usually does not bode well against an experienced defense)

So which is more of a liability O-line or inexperienced QB? Who is overconfident about their liability and who is not? Is this the year Stoops cements his mastery over Brown or has Brown improved his coaching staff to the point that they are now better than OU's?

Thoughts?

JohnnyMack
7/4/2006, 09:13 AM
I'll respond to this post on 09/17/06.

Once we've played Oregon and Saxet has played tOSU.

AlbqSooner
7/4/2006, 09:19 AM
Against a strong defense an unproven QB can be a tremendous liability. By the time October 7 rolls around I expect OU to have answered many of the questions about its O-line. Additionally, with both a running threat and a passing game threat, defenses will have problems enough even if the line is not at top notch.

On the other hand, I do not expect tejas QB to have experienced enough to have the game slow down.

Defense for OU will make this kid's RRS debut a very forgettable experience.

Just my humble pre-season opinion.

RooseveltRoughRider
7/4/2006, 09:44 AM
I think if either team loses to anyone other than eachother in the regular season, it would be a disappointment.

You all think it is bad THIS year.....wait until NEXT year...

Especially if Peterson stays..neither team will have a weakness.
Texas will not lose any Running Backs or Receivers in 2007 except Selvin Young....
they wont lose any Linebackers, and they lose 1 D-lineman...plus that new QB will be back.
2007 RRS is what I am looking forward to....

But this year...
In the Pre-Season..I think OU is being slightly overrated and Texas slightly underrated.
Going wth the mindset that the only reason they were good is because they had Vince will break alot of people's hearts, returning 14-16 starters from an undefeated team is a big deal period. Also, the lofty expectations everyone has for OU can come true if everyone stays healthy and everything goes best case scenario. One or two injuries for OU could equal one or two losses...

That being said...does anyone here think OU could win the RRS without AD???

JohnnyMack
7/4/2006, 09:50 AM

Yes.

soonervegas
7/4/2006, 09:55 AM
Agreed on the yes. This year if AD goes down we will not be firing out Jacob G. We will be firing out Allen Patrick.

I think our chances do decrease with an AD injury, but Allen is much more than capable backup.

FlatheadSooner
7/4/2006, 11:31 AM
I'll respond to this post on 09/17/06.

Once we've played Oregon and Saxet has played tOSU.

Ditto.

OUr OL will have more experience going into this season than last, just younger.

Patrick will be awesome compliment to AD's RB style and D. Murray will show why he'll be the next great OU RB.

Hook 'em

SouthFortySooner
7/4/2006, 11:47 AM
It seems to me the hornboards are making more of our totally inexperienced young fumblebritches Oline than we are of the inexperienced QB.

Besides they have scoreboard on us so, NO WAY will we be overconfident.:mad:

I expect the comments and furor to increase right up to season start. :D

BASSooner
7/4/2006, 12:52 PM
I think if either team loses to anyone other than eachother in the regular season, it would be a disappointment.

Especially if Peterson stays..neither team will have a weakness.
Texas will not lose any Running Backs or Receivers in 2007 except Selvin Young....
they wont lose any Linebackers, and they lose 1 D-lineman...plus that new QB will be back.
2007 RRS is what I am looking forward to....

But this year...
In the Pre-Season..I think OU is being slightly overrated and Texas slightly underrated.
Going wth the mindset that the only reason they were good is because they had Vince will break alot of people's hearts, returning 14-16 starters from an undefeated team is a big deal period. Also, the lofty expectations everyone has for OU can come true if everyone stays healthy and everything goes best case scenario. One or two injuries for OU could equal one or two losses...

I can disagree with the bold part up there. OUr secondary will be to our fullest extent(everytime we've had a great secondary, texas has never stood a chance:D). Yeah, we lose defensive ends but I doubt that will be a problem. Look what thibs and Ah You did after Jackson and Cody. Linebackers....oh please don't go there. We lose latimer and ruuuuuuuuuufus but as long as we have BV, there is no such thing as a recovery year for LBs. Offensively, we may be equal, saxet advantage would be the line and OUrs would be the bomar. We still win overall.

to answer the underlined part, yes we can win without AD. he's the best weapon we have obviously, but not the only one. i would be more concerend on what is going on over there. my question would be "can we win without VY?"

soonerinabilene
7/4/2006, 02:21 PM
Agreed on the yes. This year if AD goes down we will not be firing out Jacob G. We will be firing out Allen Patrick.

I think our chances do decrease with an AD injury, but Allen is much more than capable backup.
dont forget, we got demarco murray also. that being said, if ad is hurt, it will be up to bomar to lead them on the field, and that is the big question-can he do it this year? i think with a spring and summer with josh being his position coach, he will have a much better chance of being able to do so this year.

SoonerJedi
7/4/2006, 08:12 PM
Of course it is Texas that is overconfident. How can you be overconfident when you are going to win? :)

Actually, it is a good question.

So which is more of a liability O-line or inexperienced QB?

Texas has very talented QBs. I'm sure they will end up being just fine. Oklahoma has very talented O-linemen, they will end up being just fine. The only thing either lack is experience really.

Given that, I'd rather have a talented O-line with no experience over a talented QB with no experience. But it's really not a big edge one way or the other.

Is this the year Stoops cements his mastery over Brown or has Brown improved his coaching staff to the point that they are now better than OU's?

I think Stoops is obviously the better coach. Until last year Mack Brown was known as the coach that always had the most talent but kept underacheiving.

Still possible. Neither offense will score much against those defenses so I would guess it will not take a lot of points to win.

I prefer Oklahoma’s passing game over what Texas has. Bomar and Kelly look extremely comfortable together. It takes a while for that to happen. Meanwhile Oklahoma’s secondary improved over last year while Texas’ secondary got worse.

However the NC game exposed that Texas did not have a great run defense (which is also evidenced by their run defense stats), so Peterson is the easiest way for Oklahoma to win. (He did whip them the previous year.)

Texas Golfer
7/4/2006, 11:49 PM
I agree that it is premature to be discussing confidence factors for a game that is three months away. Anything can happen between now and then for both teams.

william_brasky
7/5/2006, 12:18 AM
Yes.

AzianSooner
7/5/2006, 12:33 AM
But this year...

I can't hold my fa.rt when i read a whorn post. Where was AD when we beat the hell of 65-13 of Whorn's asss?

Snrfn4ever08
7/5/2006, 12:07 PM
texas, hands down.Hook 'em

sooneron
7/5/2006, 01:03 PM
Didn't we have about 14-16 starters back after the 00 season? Josh and the D saved us from a few scrapes that year, Josh graduated and we lost 2 games with a better D than the previous year.
Talk about starters returning all you want, but when you lose the intangible (you know who that is), you lose a lot.

RedstickSooner
7/5/2006, 02:23 PM
I think the fanbases are going to be (as is probably the case) a lot more overconfident than the respective coaching staffs.

Our fanbase is the one I'm more familiar with, as I've never seen the appeal in hanging out on a Horn board.

That being said, as is the case most years, OU fans seem convinced that we'll definitely win the RRS. Personally, no matter how great our team, no matter how good Stoops is, I will ALWAYS worry most about the RRS for one simple reason: Texas is (with the demise of Nebraska) the most talented team on our schedule. Hence, it's our greatest threat -- and therefore the game I'm least confident about.

Do I think we're capable of winning? Abso-frickin'-lutely. However, when you go up against a team with the talent to match up with you, the fact is that you can't win purely on your own merits -- you're also partially at the mercy of the other team.

If we make a mistake early in the game, we can lose inertia and quickly go down in flames -- as we did in the Game Which Should Not Be Spoken Of. (Speaking of which, what's the official abbreviation / nickname for that most vile of games, anyhow)

Fact is, we had the talent and experience to win that particular game, and as we all know, the outcome was a long way from a win. You can lose pretty much any game you play, but when you play the most talented team on the schedule, you're obviously at much greater risk of loss.

Conversely, when it's the best team on your schedule (and a rivalry game) you can expect your players and coaches to be totally up for it -- still, that ain't always enough. Not against an elite foe.

I'll never be sure we're gonna win the RRS until time expires in the fourth quarter.

...Well, okay, in 2003, I had an inkling we might pull off the win a bit prior to the fourth :D

Snrfn4ever08
7/5/2006, 02:26 PM
I think the fanbases are going to be (as is probably the case) a lot more overconfident than the respective coaching staffs.

Our fanbase is the one I'm more familiar with, as I've never seen the appeal in hanging out on a Horn board.

That being said, as is the case most years, OU fans seem convinced that we'll definitely win the RRS. Personally, no matter how great our team, no matter how good Stoops is, I will ALWAYS worry most about the RRS for one simple reason: Texas is (with the demise of Nebraska) the most talented team on our schedule. Hence, it's our greatest threat -- and therefore the game I'm least confident about.

Do I think we're capable of winning? Abso-frickin'-lutely. However, when you go up against a team with the talent to match up with you, the fact is that you can't win purely on your own merits -- you're also partially at the mercy of the other team.

If we make a mistake early in the game, we can lose inertia and quickly go down in flames -- as we did in the Game Which Should Not Be Spoken Of. (Speaking of which, what's the official abbreviation / nickname for that most vile of games, anyhow)

Fact is, we had the talent and experience to win that particular game, and as we all know, the outcome was a long way from a win. You can lose pretty much any game you play, but when you play the most talented team on the schedule, you're obviously at much greater risk of loss.

Conversely, when it's the best team on your schedule (and a rivalry game) you can expect your players and coaches to be totally up for it -- still, that ain't always enough. Not against an elite foe.

I'll never be sure we're gonna win the RRS until time expires in the fourth quarter.

...Well, okay, in 2003, I had an inkling we might pull off the win a bit prior to the fourth :D
i couldn't have said it better myself. but we'll still win:D

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!Hook 'em

RooseveltRoughRider
7/5/2006, 02:46 PM
I can't hold my fa.rt when i read a whorn post. Where was AD when we beat the hell of 65-13 of Whorn's asss?

In Texas in High School. Dude...are you really a Sooner fan??:confused:

Snrfn4ever08
7/5/2006, 02:47 PM
In Texas in High School. Dude...are you really a Sooner fan??:confused:
that was rhetorical, it required no response from you:cool:

RooseveltRoughRider
7/5/2006, 02:49 PM

Wow..great post. Probably the most honest post i have seen.

RooseveltRoughRider
7/5/2006, 02:52 PM
that was rhetorical, it required no response from you:cool:
Damn, I misread it...lol