PDA

View Full Version : 85Sooner, a word with you please...

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2006, 05:01 AM
So as the other thread said, I picked up a Panasonic Viera series 42" plasma the other day and I've been goofing around with it trying to get the best picture out of my stuff. I still need to look for my AVIA disc, which I last used about 3 years ago...

Anyhow, I'm playing with the DVD player right now. I have two DVD players in the house-one is a Pioneer that doesn't have a digital output (it's a couple of years old) and one is a Philips that has HDMI output. Since this is the first TV I've had with HDMI, the Philips was actually in the bedroom hooked up to the smaller TV.

Now that I've got the new TV with HDMI input, I'd like your advice here:

#1-I've had guys at various electronics stores tell me that there's no real difference between using component cables and HDMI if I'm not worried about getting an audio signal to the TV. True? False?

#2-Well, I KNOW there's one difference-the DVD player will upscale to 720p or 1080i from 480p source material. Is this worth the hassle, and if it is, which mode would you suggest? I mean, I know what the formats MEAN, but are either of them going to make a difference? I've always thought that the source material was pretty much as good as any display is going to get-the old you can't polish a turd theory.

#3-Well, I guess there's the advantage as well that HDMI is going to be all-digital and remain deinterlaced instead of going through a DAC chip and getting interlaced, then being deinterlaced on the way to the component cables, right?

#4-Sweet Jebus HDMI cables are expensive. WTF is with people charging $150 for an 8' cable??

#5-I THINK the cable box has an HDMI slot as well. Obviously no upscaling involved here-is it going to be worth it to go all digital? See #4.

Taxman71
7/4/2006, 06:09 AM
I think most experts agree that the cheap HDMI cables from Amazon or Monoprice ($15) are as good as the uber-expensive ones.

I too want a new DVD player for my Sony A10. I am thinking either Sony S75 or Oppo 970HD. (awesome reviews for the Oppo and it comes with the HDMI included).

SeattleOUstudent
7/4/2006, 07:16 AM
So as the other thread said, I picked up a Panasonic Viera series 42" plasma the other day and I've been goofing around with it trying to get the best picture out of my stuff. I still need to look for my AVIA disc, which I last used about 3 years ago...

Anyhow, I'm playing with the DVD player right now. I have two DVD players in the house-one is a Pioneer that doesn't have a digital output (it's a couple of years old) and one is a Philips that has HDMI output. Since this is the first TV I've had with HDMI, the Philips was actually in the bedroom hooked up to the smaller TV.

#1-I've had guys at various electronics stores tell me that there's no real difference between using component cables and HDMI if I'm not worried about getting an audio signal to the TV. True? False?

#2-Well, I KNOW there's one difference-the DVD player will upscale to 720p or 1080i from 480p source material. Is this worth the hassle, and if it is, which mode would you suggest? I mean, I know what the formats MEAN, but are either of them going to make a difference? I've always thought that the source material was pretty much as good as any display is going to get-the old you can't polish a turd theory.

#3-Well, I guess there's the advantage as well that HDMI is going to be all-digital and remain deinterlaced instead of going through a DAC chip and getting interlaced, then being deinterlaced on the way to the component cables, right?

#4-Sweet Jebus HDMI cables are expensive. WTF is with people charging $150 for an 8' cable??

#5-I THINK the cable box has an HDMI slot as well. Obviously no upscaling involved here-is it going to be worth it to go all digital? See #4.

My step-dad has the same TV you just got. AMAZING picture! Take it from me/us, there is no real difference between HDMI and Component cables...right now. I say go with component and save your money to use towards the DVD player of choice. Now, what you could do is wait for a few months and buy the new PS3 that will be coming out. It will have BlueRay technology with it, plus you can of course play games on it. I think a lot of people will be using it primarily for both.

85Sooner
7/4/2006, 10:08 AM

#1-I've had guys at various electronics stores tell me that there's no real difference between using component cables and HDMI if I'm not worried about getting an audio signal to the TV. TRUE use componant video cables

#2-Well, I KNOW there's one difference-the DVD player will upscale to 720p or 1080i from 480p source material. Is this worth the hassle, and if it is, which mode would you suggest? I mean, I know what the formats MEAN, but are either of them going to make a difference? I've always thought that the source material was pretty much as good as any display is going to get-the old you can't polish a turd theory.your tv already upscales everything to 720p and the upscaler in the tv is probably better than the one in the dvd player,plus to use the upscaler in the dvd player you have to use hdmi. Refer to above.

#3-Well, I guess there's the advantage as well that HDMI is going to be all-digital and remain deinterlaced instead of going through a DAC chip and getting interlaced, then being deinterlaced on the way to the component cables, right? factually correct but digital is not always better and in fact usually is worse than analog. Digital is cheaper and more convenient.

#4-Sweet Jebus HDMI cables are expensive. WTF is with people charging $150 for an 8' cable??correct,because they make a huge huge profit.

#5-I THINK the cable box has an HDMI slot as well. Obviously no upscaling involved here-is it going to be worth it to go all digital? See #4.No, HDMI is flawed with problems.

OK, that said, here is the lowdown on HDMI.
HDMI IS a digital interface that employs HDCP (high definition copy protection) Hint, that is why the industry likes it.

The picture is basically the same and that has been proven in double blind tests.
HDMI requires a "handshake" and this is problematic. You can be using your tv for weeks and then all of a sudden, for no reason, it will say "no signal". HDMI is the culprit. componant video will never do this.

HDMI is constantly changing. ver 1.1,1.2,1.3 because of the problems and it is gonna get worse ie: Blu Ray has a 1080P output. Your TV only has a 720p input so whats the benefit? If you bought a receiver with HDMI switching lately, it will probably switch 720p but won't do 1080p so the reciever was outdated before you walked out of the store with your new high $ toy.

On that note Blu rey and HD-DVD are still in flux. I personally believe that neither one will win and it will be another, mini disc, dat etc.. situation. We will see.

Anything else? Hope that helps.

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2006, 11:22 AM
Well, I tried both the Pioneer and the Philips DVD player last night, and you know what?

I think the picture on the Pioneer using component output looked a little better.

Thank you for the help everyone, 85 especially. Always nice to be able to ask a professional's opinion. And thanks for not yelling at me for not buying Sony. I actually came VERY close to buying the new Sony 42" LCD, but I like the picture quality on plasmas much better.

85Sooner
7/4/2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I tried both the Pioneer and the Philips DVD player last night, and you know what?

I think the picture on the Pioneer using component output looked a little better.

Thank you for the help everyone, 85 especially. Always nice to be able to ask a professional's opinion. And thanks for not yelling at me for not buying Sony. I actually came VERY close to buying the new Sony 42" LCD, but I like the picture quality on plasmas much better.

No Problem, Glad I could hep!

Taxman71
7/8/2006, 03:43 PM
85, knowing that the HDMI is not really an issue for me and my A10, what DVD player do you recommend with the A10 over progressive (whether it has HDMI and upscaling or not..since it won't get used). I have a Toshiba DR-4 that I freaking hate more than whorn fans.

Besides my A10, I will pair it with a Yamaha RX-V540 (6.1) and listen to CD's and MP3s quite a bit. I would prefer a player that is black, but that is hard to find unless I go over $200 (which I do not want to do) or get a DVD changer (which I also hate).

I am considering the following based SOLELY on internet reviews:
Sony NS-75H
Yamaha DVD-S550
Oppo HD970
Panasonic S52

What do you recommend for the A10? TIA

85Sooner
7/8/2006, 04:26 PM
85, knowing that the HDMI is not really an issue for me and my A10, what DVD player do you recommend with the A10 over progressive (whether it has HDMI and upscaling or not..since it won't get used). I have a Toshiba DR-4 that I freaking hate more than whorn fans.

Besides my A10, I will pair it with a Yamaha RX-V540 (6.1) and listen to CD's and MP3s quite a bit. I would prefer a player that is black, but that is hard to find unless I go over $200 (which I do not want to do) or get a DVD changer (which I also hate).

I am considering the following based SOLELY on internet reviews:
Sony NS-75H
Yamaha DVD-S550
Oppo HD970
Panasonic S52

What do you recommend for the A10? TIA

Sony DVPNS55P around 79.00 will do great.

Taxman71
7/9/2006, 08:13 AM
I saw that one, and it is black to boot (as is everything else in my system). However, it doesn't have optical out, only coax. Not sure if that would make any difference on DTS soundtracks, etc. (I use optical right now).

85Sooner
7/9/2006, 08:19 AM
no difference. Actually Coax is more bandwidth that fiber optic and thus recommended however there is really no audible difference.

Taxman71
7/9/2006, 08:31 AM
Thanks 85, this should take care of me until the next big thing becomes affordable.