PDA

View Full Version : SicEm's 4th of July Celebration

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 04:34 AM
For the past 22 years my grandparents have had this 4th of July thing at their lake place in Salina (OK). I've only missed 3-4 during that time, so that's where I'll be on the 4th.

The night time fireworks display that I put on every year though is spectacular if I do say so myself (well spectacular for what you can do small-time and solo).

My routine usually involves loading up on patriotic music. The stuff from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is great. I spend the 3rd of July every year having a movie marathon. It usually includes any combo of the following titles:

-The Patriot
-Independence Day
-The Alamo, yes I know Texas history but they were redblooded Americans (and a few independence loving messicans).
-Patton
-The Longest Day
-Saving Private Ryan
-War of 1812 (HC; docu)
-Red Dawn
-In the Face of Evil: Reagan's War in Words and Deeds
-Gettysburg
-Gods and Generals
-The North and the South (well parts of it).
-Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
-Last of the Mohicans (James Fenimore Cooper was not just a great fiction writer but also a political/constitutional theorist. His book "American Democrat" should be required reading in high school.)
-The Right Stuff

I'm also loading up on cigars for the day. Not sure what all Ted's at The Farm has but I'm sure they have a good stock. I'll be a happy camper if they carry the non-vintage H.Upmann coronas. No Zima. My drink of choice on the 4th is Jack and that is it. I'm usually a vodka guy, but vodka is Russian and therefore quite un-American and inappropriate on the day of our Independence.

I'm going to have a "reading" this year of the Declaration of Independence, the preamble to the Constitution, and Patrick Henry's famous "give me liberty or give me death" speech in Richmond. I would love to give a full reading of the Constitution with analysis on the enumerated powers of congress and the reserved powers of the state, but there's simply not enough time in the day. If this were a week long celebration then I would also go over some of my favorites parts of the Anti-Federalist papers and even some selections from the Federalist Papers.

Each holiday I like to not only remember the birth of our nation and my hertiage as an American, but also the following war that sought to preserve those ideals and win a second independence. The right to be free and choose one's own destiny and government is a value that did not cease to exist after 1776 or 1865.

That is all. You all have a good one!

Mixer!
7/3/2006, 04:43 AM
No Zima. My drink of choice on the 4th is Jack and that is it. I'm usually a vodka guy, but vodka is Russian and therefore quite un-American and inappropriate on the day of our Independence.

Whiskey = invented by the Scots.

REAL F'n American hillbillies celebrate with Everclear! :D

A Happy 4th back atcha, SicEm!

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 04:45 AM

REAL F'n American hillbillies celebrate with Everclear! :D

A Happy 4th back atcha, SicEm!

Hmmm...good point. Although, my family has a heavy dose of Scottish so I'll give myself the all-clear. And JD is made very much in these United States.

Let me also make a further point...

THere's no better time than now to point out that I started, long ago, calling this nation "these United States" rather than "the United States." The point should be clear to all and it's definitely one worth making. ;)

BajaOklahoma
7/3/2006, 04:50 AM
Omit the cigars.

Vaevictis
7/3/2006, 05:08 AM

Yeah, but Americans adopted whiskey in the early going something fierce.

Apparently, it was a really good way to store grain that might otherwise rot (whiskey having calories and all), and it could be made pretty much straight from grain and so replaced rum as it didn't require molasses from the British West Indies. :)

(Supposedly, the fact that it didn't rot was apparently especially important before the railroads; for the further out farmers, it was sometimes the only way to get the grain to the markets)

Melo
7/3/2006, 05:18 AM
Omit the cigars.

That would be like telling SicEm not to be ghey. The two go hand in hand, and you cant get rid of ghey. (Which should be apparent since Howzit is still around.) :D ;)

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 06:24 PM
No way do I give up the cigars.

I get two enjoyments out of life. Politics and cigars.

yermom
7/3/2006, 06:26 PM
:texan:

soonernation
7/3/2006, 06:26 PM
No way do I give up the cigars.

I get two enjoyments out of life. Politics and cigars.

Bill?

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 06:29 PM
Bill?
I have better taste in women.

soonernation
7/3/2006, 06:31 PM
I have better taste in women.

Hillary?

Okla-homey
7/3/2006, 06:38 PM
True States Rights Southerners don't celebrate the 4th of July, at least they didn't when I was in South Carolina. That whole getting their ar$e kicked by Sam Grant at Vicksburg which tore the Cornfederacy in two combined with the defeat at Gettysburg -- all on the 4th of July weekend in 1863, kinda spoiled it for 'em.

Just saying.

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 06:49 PM
True States Rights Southerners don't celebrate the 4th of July, at least they didn't when I was in South Carolina. That whole getting their ar$e kicked by Sam Grant at Vicksburg which tore the Cornfederacy in two combined with the defeat at Gettysburg -- all on the 4th of July weekend in 1863, kinda spoiled it for 'em.

Just saying.

Totally absurd. If, as I believe, the south was fighting to preserve our revolutionary ideals then there is no reason not to celebrate what was won from Britian and we later fought to preserve in the South.

I've never thought the Union, in and of itself, should be celebrated on the 4th but rather the principles which that union is suppose to be based upon Anyone who says those things aren't worth celebrating on the 4th of July obviously never read the Confederate constitution...

King Crimson
7/3/2006, 07:19 PM
I would add the Big Red One to the movie list.

Okla-homey
7/3/2006, 09:59 PM
Totally absurd. If, as I believe, the south was fighting to preserve our revolutionary ideals then there is no reason not to celebrate what was won from Britian and we later fought to preserve in the South.

I've never thought the Union, in and of itself, should be celebrated on the 4th but rather the principles which that union is suppose to be based upon Anyone who says those things aren't worth celebrating on the 4th of July obviously never read the Confederate constitution...

I agree, especially that revolutionary principle captured by the sentiment, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all (even black folks).

In the beauty of the Lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me;
As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.

SicEmBaylor
7/3/2006, 11:17 PM
I agree, especially that revolutionary principle captured by the sentiment, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all (even black folks).

In the beauty of the Lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me;
As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.
:sigh:
Homey, my good man, if this were 150 years or so ago then I'd challenge you to a duel. ;)

GottaHavePride
7/4/2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but Americans adopted whiskey in the early going something fierce.

Apparently, it was a really good way to store grain that might otherwise rot (whiskey having calories and all), and it could be made pretty much straight from grain and so replaced rum as it didn't require molasses from the British West Indies. :)

(Supposedly, the fact that it didn't rot was apparently especially important before the railroads; for the further out farmers, it was sometimes the only way to get the grain to the markets)

there you go. I'm old-school, then. rum = my favorite. Nothing against a good whiskey (or whisky, as those across the pond call it).

setem
7/4/2006, 12:23 AM
What are some good, fair priced cigars?