PDA

View Full Version : One Year Old Wedding Cake

Mongo
7/2/2006, 09:59 PM
Today marks the first year of marriage for me and Mrs. Mongo. She saved the top layer of our wedding cake to be eaten this day. Anybody else hear of this, or do this?? Holy sh!t it was nasty. I guess it soaked up every flavor we had in our fridge. I should have just licked the inside of a bum's pocket, would have gotten the same effect.

Boarder
7/2/2006, 10:02 PM
We took one bite and then had a cake food fight.

reevie
7/2/2006, 10:15 PM
We ate ours about 3 or 4 months after the wedding. It held up fairly well. I think we ate it early because we were thinking of going somewhere over our anniversary. But more importantly, we wanted to free up some space in the freezer!

OUAndy1807
7/2/2006, 10:34 PM
ours was great

oumartin
7/2/2006, 10:38 PM
Congrats Mongo.. Today is my 12th Anniversary..
don't eat the cake for your 12th.. its not good.

Jimminy Crimson
7/2/2006, 10:44 PM
I don't plan on freezing the cake.

I'm going to call up the bakery making the wedding cake and have them make a 'top layer' of the same cake for the anniversiary.

critical_phil
7/2/2006, 10:52 PM
i had an elvis impersonator wedding, so i just stop by 7-11 if i want some wedding cake (moon pie).

TopDaugIn2000
7/2/2006, 10:57 PM
there was a lady at the OKC airport yesterday morning taking the top layer to her daughter. it had been in the mom's freezer all year and the anniversary is coming up next week so she was taking the flipping cake to her. heh

Preservation Parcels
7/2/2006, 11:12 PM
A lot of bakeries and cake decorators are now offering a certificate to be redeemed for a fresh cake for the first anniversary celebration.

Mongo
7/3/2006, 12:51 AM
A lot of bakeries and cake decorators are now offering a certificate to be redeemed for a fresh cake for the first anniversary celebration.

Thanks PP, this notice did not save me from having the trots.:D

welcome to the board.

BajaOklahoma
7/3/2006, 01:00 AM
The lady who made our wedding cake gave us the stuff to wrap the the cake top. The wedding planner wrapped it up for us. My parents were glad to get it out of their freezer. And it was great.

StoopTroup
7/3/2006, 07:52 AM
Mine was awesome. As I remember it had that Frozen Crappie/Venison taste.

Very Yummy. :D

GrapevineSooner
7/3/2006, 11:53 AM
As I recall from four years ago, mine was OK.

Scott D
7/3/2006, 12:43 PM
hah today is my two year anniversary and our cake was gone the day of the wedding thank god.

Okla-homey
7/3/2006, 12:44 PM
IMHO, the problem with this here marital tradition is it started back in the day when wedding cakes were essentially liquor-laden fruitcakes and thus better able to withstand a year's storage even before the advent of refrigeration.

These modern airy-white cakes with buttercream frosting just aren't up to the challenge of remaining edible a year later--even if frozen solid.

Just saying.

StoopTroup
7/3/2006, 12:46 PM
It's even worse when your Modern Day Bride needs thawing out.

Mongo
7/3/2006, 12:53 PM
Congrats Scott!! I only took two bites of it. One to celebrate the anny, and another to prove that it was horrible. Homey, your right on. My great grandma made these dense cakes laced with booze. They had the same half life as uranium.

Okla-homey
7/3/2006, 12:55 PM
It's even worse when your Modern Day Bride needs thawing out.

No kiddin' Back in Victorian England where most of these wedding traditions got their start, wives were taught to simply grab ahold of the headboard, brace themselves for the inevitable, smile sweetly and "think about England!"

GDC
7/3/2006, 01:27 PM
I generally don't stay married long enough for this tradition to even matter.

Ike
7/3/2006, 02:30 PM
we were gonna freeze ours, but due to the severe drunkeness at our reception, the top layer wound up upside down on the floor rather than in the freezer. Judging from the posts here, that may have been a good thing.

PVSoonerFan
7/4/2006, 07:37 PM
My wife still has the top tier of our wedding cake in the freezer..... circa august 15, 1970. Not sure why.... guess it's a girly thing.

Mongo
7/4/2006, 07:43 PM
My wife still has the top tier of our wedding cake in the freezer..... circa august 15, 1970. Not sure why.... guess it's a girly thing.

I will pay you $100 to eat that thing. Put it on video, upload it, and collect the money.:)

Rhino
7/4/2006, 08:48 PM
What a weird-*** tradition.

Newbomb Turk
7/4/2006, 08:53 PM
Congrats Mongo.. Today is my 12th Anniversary..
don't eat the cake for your 12th.. its not good.

holy crap - I just saw this post.
Was the 2nd really your 12th anniversary?

The 2nd was Mrs. Turk & my 13th!

Sooner_Bob
7/4/2006, 08:58 PM
I know we froze ours, but I don't remember eating it. I think we may have just tossed it.

Okla-homey
7/4/2006, 10:08 PM

I dare you to do the "American Pie" thing with it. Defrost it first of course.;)

Mongo
7/4/2006, 10:13 PM
I dare you to do the "American Pie" thing with it. Defrost it first of course.;)

Come on Homey, We all know warm cobbler is the best:D

the_ouskull
7/5/2006, 03:14 AM
I generally don't stay married long enough for this tradition to even matter.

Now THIS is one of those, "funny because it's true" moments that could be awkward if the object of the attack wasn't also the one doing the attacking.

Very nice...

the_ouskull