PDA

View Full Version : OK...I can finally talk about it...

StoopTroup
7/2/2006, 08:10 PM
Yesterday morning my best friend of 13 years died.

We had our good moments and our bad, but I already miss him.

Beavis was the best dog I've ever had in my life.

He has been so good to the kids. He was my 3 year old boy's buddy.

In the last year he had taken to sleeping at the foot of our beds. He would move from room to room in the night like he was making sure everything was OK.

A week ago before I went to work, he had a seisure and seemingly was over it after about an hour. Yesterday morning he evidently had another one during the night and he couldn't get up again. I could tell he was suffering.

I was OK when we put him to sleep until I looked at my Wife and she was streaming tears down her face.

Anyway...

Rest in Peace Beavis.

Thanks for being such a wonderful part of OUr Family.

You will always be in our hearts and our memories.

My avatar goes out to your memory.

Mongo
7/2/2006, 08:19 PM
A dog is truly man's best friend, Sorry to hear that ST.

Soonerbabeinbama
7/2/2006, 08:22 PM
I'm so sorry ST. I know how badly that hurts.:(

oumartin
7/2/2006, 08:25 PM
sorry about that S.T.

Jerk
7/2/2006, 08:30 PM
oh man, sorry to hear this.

OCUDad
7/2/2006, 08:37 PM
Condolences, ST. I'm sure Beavis is still checking on the family from wherever he is.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 08:45 PM
avatar spek. my Dad had bird dogs too when i was also a pup.

loyal as the day is long.

VeeJay
7/2/2006, 09:04 PM
Condolences. It is tough to see them suffer, tougher to have to give them up.

Newbomb Turk
7/2/2006, 09:25 PM
sorry to hear that ST. :(

He looks like a Springer Spaniel. We had one of those when I was young.

Best.
dog.
evar.

Your thread makes me miss him.

StoopTroup
7/2/2006, 09:28 PM
He was a Brittney Spaniel.

I've not heard of many spaniels that weren't the most loving Dogs.

Beavis was the Best.

Newbomb Turk
7/2/2006, 09:33 PM
He was a Brittney Spaniel.

I've not heard of many spaniels that weren't the most loving Dogs.

Beavis was the Best.

nut uh - my dog, "Kegs" was the best. ;)

My dad named him "Kegs" because when he was a pup, he was so fat and round he looked like a little beer keg. :)

OUinFLA
7/2/2006, 09:38 PM
Im sad for you.
It has happened to me several times, and twice Ive had to put down a family pet that I truly loved. I still miss the one from 10 years ago.
I have a pic on the wall over my desk of my Dad and that dog, both napping on my back porch. I hope they are together.

Sooner24
7/2/2006, 10:00 PM
We have a 13 year old Mini-Dachshund and he is slowing down every day. He is hard of hearing, half blind.............wait a minute I could be describing me! :eek: We have had him since he was weaned and it is going to be like losing one of my kids. He truly is mans best friend.

Deepest regrets on your lose ST. :(

OKC Sooner
7/2/2006, 10:13 PM
I'm truly sorry for your loss, ST... I've been there recently, and it hurt like hell. :(

All you can do is be thankful for the years you had together. God bless our pets and the happy memories we've shared with them.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/2/2006, 10:38 PM
RIP, Beavis

BajaOklahoma
7/2/2006, 10:56 PM
So sorry ST. They are a part of the family and it hurts to lose them.

pb4ou
7/2/2006, 11:18 PM
Condolences to you bud.

SCOUT
7/2/2006, 11:27 PM
I have two big dogs that are 11 and 13. It is a scenario I know I can't avoid but I dread it deeply.

I am sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how difficult it actually is.

Keep a stiff upper lip and whatnot.

bigdsooner
7/2/2006, 11:36 PM
dang that sucks st, sorry for your loss.

Mixer!
7/3/2006, 04:34 AM
Condolences, ST. Lost my dog & cat (15 & 16 years) last winter. The pain will pass in time.

olevetonahill
7/3/2006, 10:33 AM
I to can feel your pain
As i look out my window at Bears grave , the only dog Ive ever made a headstone for

OUHOMER
7/3/2006, 09:19 PM
Sorry man, I went through this a few years ago. vet gave us some medcine for the dog but it didnt help. it was one of the hardest things to watch.

Now we have MOE, AKA monkey butt, catfish lips, or little sh!t

TUSooner
7/3/2006, 09:22 PM
That is sad. Losing a good dog always is, but especially a companion for 13 years. Sincere condolences, man.

SoonerSid
7/3/2006, 09:30 PM
So sorry to hear your loss ST.. i can feel your pain.. having lost alot of very close friends in my life..

slickdawg
7/3/2006, 09:36 PM
StoopTroup, that's terrible news. I'm very sorry that Beavis has gone
to heaven, the loss of a close pet is as bad as losing immediate family to me.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

ChickSoonerFan
7/3/2006, 10:20 PM
So sorry...the loss of a family pet and best friend is heartbreaking. I hope you pain eases with time. You did a good thing, I let one of my pets suffer too long one time hoping he would recover and swore I would never do that again...but it is still a horrible thing to go through..again..so sorry.

XingTheRubicon
7/3/2006, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear that, I hope the kiddos take it okay...

AlbqSooner
7/4/2006, 10:04 AM
Putting a pet to sleep when the time comes is one of the most painful things we will ever endure.

Putting a pet to sleep when the time comes is one of the most loving things we will ever do.

GDC
8/5/2006, 03:34 PM
My sister's husband rotated back to Germany and she was afraid her 13 yo (or more) cat might not be able to make the trip, so she left it with us. The cat got depressed and had diabetes it turns out, so I had to be there while they put it to sleep today. I don't particularly care for cats, but watching a longtime member of the family get put down is rough.

StoopTroup
8/5/2006, 05:41 PM
My sister's husband rotated back to Germany and she was afraid her 13 yo (or more) cat might not be able to make the trip, so she left it with us. The cat got depressed and had diabetes it turns out, so I had to be there while they put it to sleep today. I don't particularly care for cats, but watching a longtime member of the family get put down is rough.
Sorry to hear GDC...

Remember the good times...

MamaMia
8/5/2006, 06:06 PM
I just went through this a few weeks ago. I can still feel Punky. I know he visits because we can hear his dog tags jingle. My heart grieves with those of you who have lost a loved one. I know that they will be among many who will greet you when its your time. :(

Howzit
8/5/2006, 06:20 PM
Dang, Stoop, I was on vacation when you posted this. Sorry I missed it and sorry for your loss. I've got a lab that is 9 years old, and like your Beavis is the best dog I've ever had. When she goes it is going to be really hard.

I think I remember reading about your pooch, Mom, really tough. gdc, sorry to hear it. That's never easy.

VeeJay
8/5/2006, 08:18 PM
I remember when I was 13, I lost the best dog ever. We'd had him since I was probably 5. In was the summer of 1973, and our dog was a collie - looked just like Lassie - his name was "Timmy" - we named him after the little boy on the show.

I had a habit, when Timmy was sleeping in the shade on our patio, of opening the screen door suddenly, waking him up. I knew he was getting old, but I was unprepared for the day I did it and he didn't wake up. I went out on the patio, and he wasn't moving - I ran to my sister, who didn't seem concerned - then I called my mom and my dad at work.

Well, later that afternoon, my Dad wrapped Timmy in a hideous looking bedspread that belonged to me - it was brown, red and white - and had little toy soldiers on it. Buried Timmy in the backyard. I cried like a baby later that night.

That may be one reason I haven't gotten another dog - even though I love dogs. I don't think I want to deal with their death.

My 6 y.o. wants a dog really bad. And she is a very perceptive child with a conscience. I'm running out of excuses.

booomer
8/5/2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Troup! We're real attached to our pets too, so I can imagine how you feel.

MamaMia
8/5/2006, 09:30 PM
My 6 y.o. wants a dog really bad. And she is a very perceptive child with a conscience. I'm running out of excuses.Get your sweet little daughter a dog. It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.