PDA

View Full Version : red beans and rice and a couple eggs over easy

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 11:58 AM
a lotta Lousiana Hot Sauce...a couple slices of sourdough toast...pretty good breakfast....with a strong cup of black coffee.

I am feeling good. carry on....

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 11:59 AM
I had french toast, made from the leftover french bread I made yesterday. Best french toast ever.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:04 PM
So hey, KC, I tried your recommendation and used roma tomatoes in my recipe from the other day. Unfortunately, the feta and prosciutto overwhelmed the flavor of the tomato.

I think next time I'm going with unsalted goat cheese and cappicola instead to see if it gives a more delicate flavor. Thoughts? Perhaps even go to provolone.

JohnnyMack
7/2/2006, 12:05 PM
3 cups of Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:09 PM
You know, I can't believe that I didn't have ONE Dunkin' Donut when I was in Mass. Dang things are on every corner and I haven't had one for probably 10 years.

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2006, 12:18 PM
a lotta Lousiana Hot Sauce...a couple slices of sourdough toast...pretty good breakfast....with a strong cup of black coffee.

I am feeling good. carry on....WARNING TO ALL DOWNWIND OF KING CRIMSON....TAKE SHELTER AT ONCE.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/civildefense/shelte1.jpg

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 12:20 PM
So hey, KC, I tried your recommendation and used roma tomatoes in my recipe from the other day. Unfortunately, the feta and prosciutto overwhelmed the flavor of the tomato.

I think next time I'm going with unsalted goat cheese and cappicola instead to see if it gives a more delicate flavor. Thoughts? Perhaps even go to provolone.

yeah, feta and prosciutto are both pretty salty. and the etymology of prosciutto is a technique of curing meat with salt. that's one of the reasons that fresh mozz is so often paired with prosciutto....because of it's fairly neutral (albeit delicious) flavor. For thanksgiving, i usually make these herb, garlic and XVOO marinated stuffed cherry peppers with prosciutto and either parmagiano-reggiano or provolone....and the provolone works really well.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:22 PM
OK, I'll go with the provolone and prosciutto next time and tone it down to cappicola if that doesn't work.

I think I'm going to mix some EVOO in as well-I used a bit of peanut oil as a binder and I think that contributed to the heaviness.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 12:28 PM
olive oil always. i don't know, i really like cappicola but prosciutto is where it's at....if you can find a place that has someone who knows how to slice it properly (and they arent' screwing you eight ways at once on the price....AND they sell enough of it that it's rotating and there are new pieces well-trimmed etc.). good soppresseta is hard to beat too....or finochionno which is a fennel flavored hard salami--the real stuff....not the cheapo pinkish "Genoa" stuff. one of the Italian chefs i used to work for used to make and hang cure his own salami (the joke is too easy here)....it was UNREAL.

i'm making myself hungry again.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:35 PM
Found a butcher here in town that will cut prosciuotto to order. He slices in front of you and will ask you if it's thin enough before starting to charge you.

He also sells awesome ground caribou.

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 12:37 PM
Damn you people and your living-near-stores-you-can-actually-find-stuff-like-that. ;)

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:46 PM
GHP, I guarantee you can find a butcher in your area that will do that. It took some searching for me to find the guy, and he's about a 15 minute drive from the house-you can be in OKC in like 20 minutes, right? Or is traffic that much worse than I remember?

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, probably. Depending on what part of OKC.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 12:49 PM
Found a butcher here in town that will cut prosciuotto to order. He slices in front of you and will ask you if it's thin enough before starting to charge you.

He also sells awesome ground caribou.

that's awesome, you are lucky*.....even here we've got people at the gourmet stores who don't have a clue. and one of the things i've always been proud of in my own culinary experience was that i learned how to clean, handle, and slice real Prosciutto di Parma (San Daniele is solid and usually much cheaper...though it's from Canada--and what i usually buy). and it sucks if you are spending 18-22 bucks a lb. and the person is slicing it wrong or just plain badly. i've never actually done it, but i've been *this close* to just saying..."can i just slice it myself?". but, working at restaurants i never had to worry about this stuff. grab a handfull of basil, slice your own prosciutto with the blessing of the chef of course...etc. jeez, and buying herbs.......what a ripoff in the stores. PLUS, i know what stores are paying cost for a piece of prosciutto....jackals.

the expression is that you should be able to read the newspaper through a well sliced piece of prosciutto.

*prosciutto wrapped around fresh figs is killer as is wrapped around a medium slice of fresh mozz with a drizzle of XVOO and balsamic...and small grind of black pepper. and obviously with cantaloupe.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 12:50 PM
Well, there you go. Just look for a butcher or better yet a good deli and tell him exactly what you want. I've found that when you take the time to tell the guy behind the counter EXACTLY what you want and do it in a nice manner, they'll generally do it for you. The good ones see themselves as professionals and like it when they get a customer who knows a good cut of meat.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, probably. Depending on what part of OKC.

there HAS to be a passable italian deli in OKC somewhere. or, you could do like my sis and her bf used to do when they lived in Norman before they moved there.....just drive to Dallas and Whole Foods once every few weeks or so and make a day of it.

i can't imagine it won't be too long til OKC has a Whole Foods....though it'll probably be in North OKC.

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 01:02 PM
I'll have to do some looking. There are a few places that claim to be international delis up around 63rd and May - have to go up there, check a few of them out, lunch at Ted's, and so on.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 01:27 PM
The good ones see themselves as professionals and like it when they get a customer who knows a good cut of meat.

truer words=never spoken. there used to be an excellent butcher on 12th just south of Lindsey in Norman when i was a kid....Tom's Meat Market. now, it's a tag agency.

one other final thing about prosciutto. some companies like Boar's Head are producing a "prosciutto" but i've looked at it and it's hardly the real thing--. they serve it at a pretty deece deli in LoDo Denver we go to when we hit Coors Field....and it's not bad but it's not prosciutto. San Daniele is where the line is, IMO. there's a company that offers a pre-sliced package of prosciutto....if i sit here and think about the name i'll come up with it...but even that is better than the Boars Head et al. stuff. my dad had some in his fridge a couple years ago...so it can had somewhere in OKC/Norman. his wife also always has a ton of italian and imported cheeses so they must come from somewhere in OKC.

mortadella is kind of the same way as prosciutto....the good stuff with pistachios is excellent....the bad stuff is basically Oscar Meyer.

caveat emptor, i guess.

GHP: in my experience international deli usually means middle eastern/Indian...and such. not to say there aren't excellent things to get there and such...because there are and good deals to be had on dried spices, tahini, olives (!), 20 lb bags of basmati rice, etc. they might even have a lunch counter with good stuff. that place in Norman right by Owen Field has killer samosas and falafel. or did a couple years ago.

Frozen Sooner
7/2/2006, 02:11 PM
Believe it or not, I've found deece prosciutto prepackaged at Safeway under their Primo Taglio brand. I mean, it wasn't thin enough to see through, but the actual meat was good.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 02:57 PM
Believe it or not, I've found deece prosciutto prepackaged at Safeway under their Primo Taglio brand. I mean, it wasn't thin enough to see through, but the actual meat was good.

the primo taglio sopressetta isn't bad as well. conversely, they always try and slice *that* too thin. so, the flavor doesn't really come through. it would be better to buy just a chunk and then cut it at home with your own knife ih hunks, not slices.

with prosciutto, i still draw the line at Daniele (which is think is a bargain compared to di Parma). for a sammie i could go primo t or boars head but not for antipasti. i tell you...a thin wood fired pizza cooked at about 700 degrees (not in the oven more than 2-3 minutes...with a small amount of fresh diced mozz and good, real quartered greek naphilion or oil cured black olives and once out of the oven you lay two perfect slices of prosciutto di parma over it and watch the fat melt into the hot pizza.....and enjoy that bad boy is a thing of beauty.

if you can find/get braesola with your butcher i'd recommend that. it rocks. buffalo braesola i see on some menus around here. maybe caribou up there? you just marinate (like carpaccio, it's raw but cured by the acidity in the lemon) it briefly in lemon, XVOO, and black pepper. great with arugula and shaved parm-reg.

YWIA. :D

StoopTroup
7/2/2006, 06:21 PM
I think stuff like this warrants a Recipe Forum. :D

Mixer!
7/2/2006, 06:49 PM
I hate it that I can't eat most of this stuff anymore. :(:mad:

StoopTroup
7/2/2006, 08:41 PM
I'm diving into what's left of last night's hot wings!

YUM....