PDA

View Full Version : I have a beautiful tin can

MamaMia
7/1/2006, 12:18 PM
It has an autumn scene on it and would make a beautiful planter for some mums to add to my Halloween porch display this fall. I was thinking about drilling some holes in the bottom for drainage but am afraid of rusting.

Is there a clear spray or an application of some kind that any of you know of that I could use to prevent rusting?

Newbomb Turk
7/1/2006, 01:02 PM
I would think that if you bought some rustoleum spray paint and sprayed the inside and bottom of the can, that would stop it from rusting.

slickdawg
7/1/2006, 01:15 PM
I'd offer it to soonerbabeinbama to spit her watermelon seeds in so she
doesn't have to swallow any more.

:D

MamaMia
7/1/2006, 02:07 PM
I would think that if you bought some rustoleum spray paint and sprayed the inside and bottom of the can, that would stop it from rusting. Do they make a clear paint?

I'd offer it to soonerbabeinbama to spit her watermelon seeds in so she
doesn't have to swallow any more.

:D That would'nt make for a very pretty display. She should save the seeds from the good ones and grow a watermelon vine. :D

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2006, 02:19 PM
Just use a oil based polyurithane.

Preservation Parcels
7/1/2006, 03:35 PM
You can buy spray polyurethane almost anywhere. It should help a lot to seal and protect the metal, especially around the drainage holes. Also, if you can affix some vinyl "dots" to the bottom to keep it from sitting directly on a damp surface, it will help protect it. You might want to consider putting a smaller plastic pot with a saucer inside your tin can. It will keep most of the moisture from directly touching the metal. I'm just hoping fall is a long way off.:)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/1/2006, 04:16 PM
I love copycat threads.

MamaMia
7/1/2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll get some polyurethane and also try to find a pot to fit into the can as well. It would have to be shrubery pot since my can is fairly deep. I wouldnt know where to get any vinyl dots.

Preservation Parcels
7/1/2006, 04:52 PM
Anything that will lift the bottom of the can off the surface on which it sits will work. Try affixing three flat rocks, three milk bottle lids, or anything else with super glue to the bottom of your can. Technically, you don't even have to glue them; just rest the can on them. The idea is just to raise it enough to allow a little air to circulate underneath.

To raise your mums to the height you'd like, place an upside down plastic bowl or container of the right height inside the can. Add a saucer right side up, and place the mums in their pot on top of the saucer. Air will circulate and keep your tin can from rusting prematurely. You're really thinking ahead. ;)