PDA

View Full Version : I'm New to Ebay and May Have Gotten Screwed

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 12:38 AM
So, I just made my second purchase ever from ebay.
I got a 20gig iPod to replace my beloved 20 gig Philips HDD120 which went KAPUT. Anywhoo, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320002689573&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Now, as you can see the title says "Video" yet I'm thinking this is a 4th generation photo iPod. I think this because apparently they didn't make a 20 gig video iPod.

So my question is, considering that it isn't a video iPod (likely) and only comes with a USB cable and headphones, did I get screwed for that price?

OUAndy1807
7/1/2006, 12:45 AM
that's a good price for a 20gb ipod. I was just looking at a site that'll give you 135 for them and resell them for 165.

just tell him that he falsely advertised by putting video in the title and needs to keep the music on the ipod to make up for it.

Octavian
7/1/2006, 12:55 AM
:les: SCREWED!!1

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 01:00 AM
I have a fear that this thing won't work when I get it.
I e-mailed the seller (a she..don't have pics..don't know if she's hittable) and she said it worked as well as it did straight out of the box.

She has good feedback so I'm cautitously optomistic. Question, if something I buy is inconsistent (not the video thing which doesn't bother me but I mean if it didn't work at all)with what was advertised then what is my recourse?

Octavian
7/1/2006, 01:02 AM
I have a fear that this thing won't work when I get it.
I e-mailed the seller (a she..don't have pics..don't know if she's hittable) and she said it worked as well as it did straight out of the box.

She has good feedback so I'm cautitously optomistic. Question, if something I buy is inconsistent (not the video thing which doesn't bother me but I mean if it didn't work at all)with what was advertised then what is my recourse?

First you should worry about it even existing...and then coming in the mail.

As for recourse...I dunno.

Melo
7/1/2006, 01:15 AM
First you should worry about it even existing...and then coming in the mail.

As for recourse...I dunno.

Like that helps SicEm. You're not really good for anything... ;)

Octavian
7/1/2006, 01:23 AM
Like that helps SicEm. You're not really good for anything... ;)

I can triple-fold my tongue.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/1/2006, 01:28 AM
So, I just made my second purchase ever from ebay.
I got a 20gig iPod to replace my beloved 20 gig Philips HDD120 which went KAPUT. Anywhoo, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&item=320002689573&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Now, as you can see the title says "Video" yet I'm thinking this is a 4th generation photo iPod. I think this because apparently they didn't make a 20 gig video iPod.

So my question is, considering that it isn't a video iPod (likely) and only comes with a USB cable and headphones, did I get screwed for that price?

Press on her a little bit and see if she'll agree to back out. She lied in the listing call her out on it. If she won't you still got a decent deal. Then neg her. People HATE to be negged on Ebay. Even more than they do here.

And shame on you, too, for not researching before bidding.

Melo
7/1/2006, 01:29 AM
I can triple-fold my tongue.

How is that going to help SicEm? :confused:

Octavian
7/1/2006, 01:37 AM
How is that going to help SicEm? :confused:

oh it doesn't....but Sic's an anti-Federalist Baptist who enrolled at a school w/ a bear mascot that makes Snuggles the Bear look like a Lord of the Rings villain.

I never really thought about actually helpin. ;)

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 01:42 AM
Press on her a little bit and see if she'll agree to back out. She lied in the listing call her out on it. If she won't you still got a decent deal. Then neg her. People HATE to be negged on Ebay. Even more than they do here.

And shame on you, too, for not researching before bidding.

Well, I don't want her to backout because my primary motivation here is having a new mp3 player. The video features isn't a huge deal. But, I like the idea of making a fuss and pressing her on the issue. Even if she'd agree to send me back maybe $10-$15.00 or even reimburse me for the shipping fee would make me much happier.

And as for the research thing; yeah I'm a dumbass on this but I learned my lesson. I jumped on it a little too fast though because there was only 4 minutes left before the auction ended.

walkoffsooner
7/1/2006, 04:53 AM
Beano's right talk neg to her. They can't stand that.

Sooner24
7/1/2006, 07:10 AM
First no where in the description does it mention video..........

THIS IS AN ACTUAL APPLE IPOD THAT HAS A 20 GB HARD DRIVE. NOT A GENERIC VERSION LIKE OTHERS I HAVE BEEN FOOLED INTO PURCHASING. THIS IPOD IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER. IT IS COLOR SCREEN AND CAN STORE PHOTOS AND MUSIC. IT IS WHITE AND IS A DEAL TO HAVE. IT IS SOLD AS IS WITH NO REFUNDS. IT HAS SCRATCHES BUT IT WORKS JUST AS IT SHOULD. IT HAS GAMES STORED INTO ITS PROGRAMMING ALONG WITH OTHER FEATURES. IT COMES WITH A USB CABLE AND THE HEADPHONES. GOOD LUCK TO WINNING THIS ITEM. HAPPY EBAYING!!!

It does say video in the title but IMO you should have e-mailed her to find out before bidding. NEVER just go by the title but ALWAYS read the description carefully. Looking at her feedback she has 17 out of 17 on the positive side but 0 of these feedbacks are from Buyers they are all from Sellers. Digging a little farther it looks like she has just started selling items and sold her first one on June 17th and probably just made an honest mistake.

Secondly even if I had wanted this item I would not have been willing to pay $20 for shipping and $5 for insurance. She can probably ship it, just guessing, USPS for around $10-$12 insurance and all. A lot of people jack-up the price of shipping to make some extra money on their item. I am not saying this is wrong but I avoid items that have big shipping cost unless the item I am buying is heavy and going to cost a lot to ship.

All-in-all I don't think you got screwed but would recommend in the future you do a little homework on the items you are bidding on. As for telling her if she doesn't come down on the price you will leave her a negative feedback, which IMO is blackmail, and I just don't see you being that type of person. No one twisted your arm to buy this item so Caveat Emptor.

I also noticed while checking out this seller she just recently sold this. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66676&item=7775765170

OUinFLA
7/1/2006, 09:30 AM
You can afford to be taking chances on some POS from ebay but you balk at a full sponsorship fee for Soonerfans.com?

Im gonna talk to the HMFIC to see if he will send you a bag of coal for your sponsor gift once you come to your senses. There's no reason for him to be wasting a new 20gig IPOD as a gift to someone so shallow.

:D

OCUDad
7/1/2006, 10:44 AM
Shallow, maybe. Stupid, certainly. Nothing in the item description indicates that this is a video iPod. The picture of the item proves that it's not a video iPod. Only the word "video" in the title, possibly put there to increase the number of searches that would bring up this item, is questionable. The shipping costs are listed clearly; if you didn't like them, you shouldn't have bid on the item. Had you used 30 seconds of the 4 minutes remaining in the auction to actually read the item description, you wouldn't have this problem.

If you paid for the item with PayPal and it doesn't arrive, or arrives in non-working condition, you can work with eBay and PayPal to resolve the issue. PayPal offers buyer protection, which might result in partial or total refund if the item isn't functional.

I do not recommend negging the seller. Most sellers today don't leave feedback for the buyer until the buyer has left feedback first. If you neg her, she will probably neg you right back, and you don't have enough eBay "spek" to accommodate a 50% approval rating. (The "I won't leave feedback for you till you leave feedback for me" ploy is often explicitly stated on some sellers' listings -- talk about blackmail.)

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. Chalk this up to experience. Next time, RTFM.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 11:15 AM
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. Chalk this up to experience. Next time, RTFM.

if you think you (sic em) can get her down on the price or comp the shipping then it might be worth it...but otherwise i'm with Dad. I've bought maybe 20 things off ebay....mostly music...but for last Christmas i bought my pops a set of hand-knitted yarn headcovers which were purportedly to be the same quality of elastic yarn numbers some of the tour guys use (and i have a link to those)...but this woman claimed to make the same product (she said) and it was cheaper.

when they came, they were just off the rack yarn and not nearly the quality i felt i was led to believe. and the Driver and the 3 wood were almost the same size. they looked great in crimson and "white" yarn with the big pompons on the top. but, they won't last for 6 months of regular use without falling apart.

she wasn't a golfer, just a knitter making a little money with a cottage industry on the side. caveat emptor.

just move on. i doubt you'll get screwed on the iPod. i, personally, would not buy used electronics off ebay or new shoes on line (unless you know exactly what you are getting).

edit: and obviously if you get screwed, do something about it.

MamaMia
7/1/2006, 11:30 AM
I won some antique mixing bowls from Ebay once and that Pay Pal wouldnt take my credit card. I dont know why. I have used that card for years and never had any trouble. Well, I refused to send the person the money any other way so now I'm on the bad people list.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/1/2006, 11:46 AM
While he is wiser for having had this happen, it doesn't make putting "video" in the title when it obviously isn't a video iPod right. She knew what she was doing and it's sort of like a mini-scam.

And even if this was my first ebay purchase, I'd still neg her for misrepresenting the item. And even though SicEm should have done the research, she still was wrong too.

And, next time, utilize the board here. There's a ton of people like OCU and 24 and jk with experience in these matters and are willing to help a noob. ;)

slickdawg
7/1/2006, 11:53 AM
You're screwed.

OCUDad
7/1/2006, 02:49 PM
And even if this was my first ebay purchase, I'd still neg her for misrepresenting the item. And even though SicEm should have done the research, she still was wrong too.Beano, I respectfully disagree about negging her. It may make SicEm feel better, but in the end it will be more pain than it's worth, especially if she negs him back, which will give him a 50% approval rating. Sellers can, and many do, refuse to do business with buyers with lousy approval ratings.

I've been an eBay buyer for many years, with a feedback total over 1000, and 99.9% approval rating. The one neg I received was from a seller who I felt misrepresented his item in the title. The eBay problem resolution process eventually ended up with "The title was borderline but not fraudulent. It is open to interpretation. The description itself is accurate." And I made the mistake of negging a seller who had not yet left me positive feedback. Fortunately, I had enough positive feedback by that time to "absorb" his neg. SicEm doesn't, at least not yet. Live to fight another day. JMHO.

Boarder
7/1/2006, 03:00 PM
The key thing there is to read the ad first. Don't just see the pretty picture and go "I MUST BUY NOW!!!" like a spaz. I get goobers all the time who buy and then go, "Hey, will this fit my truck?"

I'm like, "Well, doesn't matter now, since you ALREADY BOUGHT IT!" (I still work with them, but I call them names to myself...horrible rude names)

Buyers don't realize that the sellers have listing fees, final value fees, and not to mention the time it takes to deal with it when someone "accidently" buys it without looking at it first.

The girl did nothing wrong except putting the word video in the title (which I don't do for this same reason). (This is assuming it comes in and doesn't work or something) It's your fault for:
a)not reading the description and looking at the pictures closely
b)buying too quickly without doing a)
c)being too impatient (like 99% of everyone else)

If you give her a neg because of your impatience, that's not very good. If it's not as she described that's a whole other story.

Anyway, that's a good price for that iPod, what's your gripe? It's like you think you caught something and want a prize for it. No way should she drop the price or anything.

Sorry for being so harsh, but once again...

The public has no idea how stupid the public can be until the public has to deal with the public.

Boarder
7/1/2006, 03:04 PM
ut, I like the idea of making a fuss and pressing her on the issue.

You like that idea? How? Why? Why would it be fun to you to bug someone? Like all she has time to do is listen to some impatient person whine about how they didn't read the auction.

Even if she'd agree to send me back maybe $10-$15.00 or even reimburse me for the shipping fee would make me much happier.

I bet she'd be happier if you sent her an extra $10-15, but since there's an agreed on price already, you both should be happy, pay for it and ship it, and be cool about it.

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 03:15 PM
First no where in the description does it mention video..........

THIS IS AN ACTUAL APPLE IPOD THAT HAS A 20 GB HARD DRIVE. NOT A GENERIC VERSION LIKE OTHERS I HAVE BEEN FOOLED INTO PURCHASING. THIS IPOD IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER. IT IS COLOR SCREEN AND CAN STORE PHOTOS AND MUSIC. IT IS WHITE AND IS A DEAL TO HAVE. IT IS SOLD AS IS WITH NO REFUNDS. IT HAS SCRATCHES BUT IT WORKS JUST AS IT SHOULD. IT HAS GAMES STORED INTO ITS PROGRAMMING ALONG WITH OTHER FEATURES. IT COMES WITH A USB CABLE AND THE HEADPHONES. GOOD LUCK TO WINNING THIS ITEM. HAPPY EBAYING!!!

It does say video in the title but IMO you should have e-mailed her to find out before bidding. NEVER just go by the title but ALWAYS read the description carefully. Looking at her feedback she has 17 out of 17 on the positive side but 0 of these feedbacks are from Buyers they are all from Sellers. Digging a little farther it looks like she has just started selling items and sold her first one on June 17th and probably just made an honest mistake.

Secondly even if I had wanted this item I would not have been willing to pay $20 for shipping and $5 for insurance. She can probably ship it, just guessing, USPS for around $10-$12 insurance and all. A lot of people jack-up the price of shipping to make some extra money on their item. I am not saying this is wrong but I avoid items that have big shipping cost unless the item I am buying is heavy and going to cost a lot to ship.

All-in-all I don't think you got screwed but would recommend in the future you do a little homework on the items you are bidding on. As for telling her if she doesn't come down on the price you will leave her a negative feedback, which IMO is blackmail, and I just don't see you being that type of person. No one twisted your arm to buy this item so Caveat Emptor.

I also noticed while checking out this seller she just recently sold this. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66676&item=7775765170

I don't disagree with any of that. Normally, I wouldn't have rushed into it so fast, but like I said there was only about 4 minutes left in the auction so I didn't have a whole lot of time. I did e-mail her after the fact to make sure the thing totally works.

bri
7/1/2006, 03:31 PM
Better be careful, Sic'em. It's a slippery slope of shirking personal responsibility you're on now. First, you're demanding a discount because you couldn't read one paragraph in 4 minutes...next thing you know you're trying to sue McDonalds for eleventy kitrillion dollars because the hot coffee your purchased from them was hot.

Jerk
7/1/2006, 03:32 PM
Better be careful, Sic'em. It's a slippery slope of shirking personal responsibility you're on now. First, you're demanding a discount because you couldn't read one paragraph in 4 minutes...next thing you know you're trying to sue McDonalds for eleventy kitrillion dollars because the hot coffee your purchased from them was hot.

He already slipped completely off the slope when he admitted to drinking Zima here.

Boarder
7/1/2006, 03:34 PM
Normally, I wouldn't have rushed into it so fast, but like I said there was only about 4 minutes left in the auction so I didn't have a whole lot of time.

See, here's the problem. Why did you rush into it so fast? Because it only had 4 minutes? Or because it was a good deal? If you're not sure about it, don't buy it! You did notice this right above the "Confirm Bid" button, didn't you?
By clicking on the button below, you commit to buy this item from the seller if you're the winning bidder.

Notice it doesn't say "By clicking on the button below, you commit to buy this item from the seller if you're the winning bidder...unless of course you are just doing this in a hurry and may or may not want it after you step back and look at it."

That's why it's totally your fault on this one.

I did e-mail her after the fact to make sure the thing totally works.

Again, too late! If you had a tiny thought that it doesn't work...DON'T BUY IT! It's not like a regular store, it's an auction with ending times.

Now, do you see that she did nothing wrong and you should just pay for it and be happy? And if she sends it to you, it works, and is just as the description said that you should give her a positive feedback?

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 04:06 PM
Well, I emailed her about it so I'll see what she says. I've thought it over some more, and why I initially thought I may have been "screwed" was because if she put video in the title when it clearly wasn't then perhaps the unit itself didn't work as advertised either. She's assured me it works great though, so I feel pretty confident right now.

And I'm not trying to backout or anything. I got a pretty good price on an iPod which is what I wanted. So long as it works then I'll be please. :D

But, like I said it'd help coming down maybe $5.00 on the shipping but if not then whatever. :D

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/1/2006, 04:34 PM
I have given this some serious thought.

Insted of a neg, give her positive rating, but only a B- in the comment. That ought to stir things up a bit.

That's what you should do. I'm still going to buy whatever item she lists next and back out and neg her.

SicEmBaylor
7/1/2006, 05:20 PM
I have given this some serious thought.

Insted of a neg, give her positive rating, but only a B- in the comment. That ought to stir things up a bit.

That's what you should do. I'm still going to buy whatever item she lists next and back out and neg her.
If for no other reason than selling a breast pump on ebay. :eek:

hurricane'bone
7/1/2006, 05:22 PM
I don't disagree with any of that. Normally, I wouldn't have rushed into it so fast, but like I said there was only about 4 minutes left in the auction so I didn't have a whole lot of time. I did e-mail her after the fact to make sure the thing totally works.

4 minutes is foreva in eBay time.

Sooner24
7/1/2006, 06:06 PM
I'm like, "Well, doesn't matter now, since you ALREADY BOUGHT IT!" (I still work with them, but I call them names to myself...horrible rude names like calling them Chuck Long)

;)

tbl
7/1/2006, 07:26 PM
I still think she was wrong for putting video in the title when it's not a video ipod. That ought to get you some free shipping. Otherwise, you can back out...

Widescreen
7/1/2006, 10:41 PM
SicEm learned a lesson without being out a bunch of money. That's a good thing.

My favorite auction was about 9 months ago when someone was selling an iPod Video box on ebay. The auction clearly stated it was the box but the bidding got up over $300. The wording was a little deceptive but certainly not untrue. I'm not sure what happened or if the winner actually paid or not.

hurricane'bone
7/1/2006, 11:05 PM
SicEm learned a lesson without being out a bunch of money. That's a good thing.

My favorite auction was about 9 months ago when someone was selling an iPod Video box on ebay. The auction clearly stated it was the box but the bidding got up over $300. The wording was a little deceptive but certainly not untrue. I'm not sure what happened or if the winner actually paid or not.

Used to happen all the time with x-box boxes.

people would just think it was a mistake and they put box twice.

SicEmBaylor
7/7/2006, 02:23 AM
Well, the ipod comes in tomorrow (or maybe saturday). I got an adapter for it tonight.

One thing that I am not going to like about the ipod..

You can't plug it into the wall while uploading your music to the player. I could do this on my Philips 120 but not on the ipod. I hope the battery isn't the succ and I have to use up an entire charge just download my music to the player.

SicEmBaylor
7/7/2006, 04:10 AM
Holy toledo! I just realized that if this thing will store photos then it'll store pr0n!

Positive feedback is surely heading the seller's way.

;)

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 05:27 AM
If for no other reason than selling a USED breast pump on ebay. :eek:

I would neg her for that to. One thing I would be worried about is the battery life. I don't know if they finally fixed the problem, but on the older Ipods, the battery life will decrease over time. My 15GB went from 8 hours to 3 in a year and a half.

Boarder
7/7/2006, 10:26 AM
When you plug it into the computer with the USB cable the computer charges it. You don't have to plug it into the wall.

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 11:16 AM
No it doesn't. You have to have a firewire port for it to charge from the computer (or at least on the one I have)

TopDaugIn2000
7/7/2006, 12:11 PM
reminds me of this (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60949&highlight=ebay)
at least you aren't this buyer. heh

Boarder
7/7/2006, 01:18 PM
Firewire, usb...same thing. :D

Boarder
7/7/2006, 01:19 PM
Now that I think of it, my usb connected one charges from the computer. But, it's a VIDEO! hehe

jeremy885
7/7/2006, 02:22 PM
you lucky bastard. To get mine to work at work, I have to use this USB cable that has a connector to the Ipod, usb port, and power outlet.