PDA

View Full Version : I could totally be a baker.

GottaHavePride
6/30/2006, 11:27 PM
You know, if this musician thing doesn't work out. ;)

Homemade hamburger buns? Rawk.
Homemade tortillas? Rawk.
Homemade French bread? rising in the fridge right now - I'll bake it in the morning.

I haven't bought bread in two weeks. :D

SoonerBorn68
6/30/2006, 11:42 PM
I'll bet that's the only thing rising at your place. :D

I keed, I keed.

Tailwind
6/30/2006, 11:45 PM
You gotta try english muffins and bagels next.

BajaOklahoma
6/30/2006, 11:56 PM
Sourdough bread.
Croissants.

I love the smell of bread baking.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2006, 12:04 AM
Sourdough is one I'm contemplating - I need to look up how to make and feed a starter and keep it alive.

The only thing that slightly limits me is I don't have a stand mixer - I have to do everything by hand.

MamaMia
7/1/2006, 12:15 AM
You know, if this musician thing doesn't work out. ;)

Homemade hamburger buns? Rawk.
Homemade tortillas? Rawk.
Homemade French bread? rising in the fridge right now - I'll bake it in the morning.

I haven't bought bread in two weeks. :DWhy not do both? Baking is a great talent that should be shared with the masses. I will be your taste tester. :)

BajaOklahoma
7/1/2006, 02:09 AM
Kitchenaid mixer.
Absolutely no metal items (bowls, spoons, measuring cups) to be used in making the starter.

Okla-homey
7/1/2006, 07:43 AM
Can you make a Pop-Tart? Pull that off and you will be truly worthy of baking praise.

VeeJay
7/1/2006, 07:47 AM
Johnny cakes?

47straight
7/1/2006, 08:55 AM
GHP - how does bread rise in the fridge? I'm a one-trick pony when it comes to baking, and i have to keep it really warm (85 degrees or so) to keep it rising.

GottaHavePride
7/1/2006, 01:08 PM
GHP - how does bread rise in the fridge? I'm a one-trick pony when it comes to baking, and i have to keep it really warm (85 degrees or so) to keep it rising.

Um, buy better yeast? It would have risen in about 3 hours if I had left it out at room temperature, or in the oven with just the oven light on (that's a good trick to use for rising). Instead, I did the first stages last night so I could put it in the fridge and it took more like 9 hours to rise.

slickdawg
7/1/2006, 01:11 PM
Slickwife's cousin in Fairhope, AL, married a gal who is one of them
perfessional kullinerry specheliststs.

She trained in New York and France, and makes stuff that is
magazine cover worthy, and totally satisfies the tummy.

I'm surprised they don't weigh 1,000 pounds each.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 01:27 PM
there's a pretty decent chapter in the Il Fornaio baking book about how to get a starter/biga going......you might take yer phone camera to Barnes and Noble and "check it out"....or google Biga. a friend and former Prof of mine had a continuous starter in his fridge that was "generationally" over 10 years old. he makes great foccacia and middle eastern style flatbread.

tortillas aren't baked, by the way. ;)

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 01:31 PM
dude, kitchen aid: one of VERY FEW home kitchen products that has a real motor and is designed to be used more than once a month.....ahem, Cuisineart (made of plastic). plus you can grind yer own beef and sausage and such with the attachment on the front.

http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/images/B00006L58I.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

GottaHavePride
7/1/2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, see, the thing is those KitchenAid mixers cost way more than is in my budget right now. I am a graduate student - which is Spanish for "broke all the time". ;)

BajaOklahoma
7/1/2006, 02:02 PM
Christmas present.
I just figured you put the dough in the frig to put the rising on hold..... unless your frig is unusually warm.

King Crimson
7/1/2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, see, the thing is those KitchenAid mixers cost way more than is in my budget right now. I am a graduate student - which is Spanish for "broke all the time". ;)

slick, i was a grad student for 7 years. don't think i don't know. i still live on an Adjunct salary...because i like where i'm at.....i know what poverty or suffering for yer "art" is like.

i will say that you can nickel and dime your way into having good kitchen stuff....i've got 4 pieces of All-Clad stuff, very good german knives, a couple calphalon pieces (don't do a lot for me, really), a chantal omellete pan, a Romertompf terracotta baking oven (great for birds), and 2 pieces of Le Creuset...just by hunting sales (especially around Xmas at department stores--companies always put out a teaser item at a much diminshed cost)....all in the last 5-6 years or so.

I despise Emeril, but that All-Clad entry line that bears his name is A-OK. i hate the glass lids....but overall that's a good value and all the shapes are right and the bottoms are heavy (and that's what makes the rocking world go round! :D)....when they put them on sale....piece by piece....i'm gonna pick some up.

a 2 qt sautee here, a sauce pan there, a stock pot...and all of sudden you are in business.

you are young enough to put the holiday squeeze on your parents for a kitchen aid (:D). if you think kitchen aid is costly, check out the price on a robot-coupe food processor....another item with a REAL motor.

but baking is cool, i wish i was more skilled at it. if i ever lived someplace with a real workspace...i'd do more with it.