PDA

View Full Version : SI article on Adrian

Octavian
6/30/2006, 04:27 PM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8100/peterson3wb.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Back fire:
Heisman Trophy isn't Peterson's only motivation

As Reggie Bush accepted his Heisman Trophy, Adrian Peterson was nowhere near New York. He watched Bush and finalists Matt Leinart and Vince Young on television, and it hit him: He'd gone from 2004 runner-up to completely out of the equation -- and it left him with a chip on his shoulder.

"I was sweeping my floor. It kind of just dawned on me that anything can happen and you've got to be able to handle what happens and take it for what it is," Peterson said. "I just take it for what it is and try to make up for it in any way you can."

Fully recovered from a high ankle sprain that limited his production last season, the Oklahoma junior tailback isn't making a return trip to NYC his driving force (but it's a given he'll be back if he can stay healthy). There's proving that a Peterson-led Sooners team that ended the year as one of the hottest teams in the country is again worthy of being in the national championship discussion.

"We go through workouts, all these guys. We bust our butts. Guys are sweating, blood, tears sometimes, trying to get ready for this upcoming year," Peterson said. "It's a team sport.... Winning a national championship is what matters."

And there's his family.

When Adrian was seven, he saw his brother Brian die at the hands of a drunken driver while the two were riding a bicycle. His father, Nelson, went to federal prison when Adrian was in seventh grade for laundering money obtained through the distribution of crack cocaine. He also said his grandfather had recently passed away.

"I just want to do good for them and make those people proud," Peterson said. "Stuff like that keeps me motivated and keeps me on the straight and narrow."

Come Sept. 2, though, Nelson Peterson may get to see his son play in person at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium for the first time. Adrian is hopeful that his father, who is in a halfway house, will be out in time for the season opener against UAB.

"It's going to be crazy just being able to look in the stands and see him in the stands," Peterson said. "I don't know. That's maybe going to give me the extra drive that I need."

Peterson has put on 13 pounds from last year -- he's now up to 223 -- and was able to go through spring practice for the first time: He missed last spring after having offseason shoulder surgery and wasn't on campus before his first season.

"I was able to knock off a lot of rust, get better in shape and put on a little weight also," Peterson said. "Being able to go through spring for the first time really helped me out a lot."

During a freshman campaign in which he ran for 1,925 yards and finished second behind Leinart in the Heisman voting, Peterson had the luxury of playing in the same backfield as Heisman winner Jason White. A year later White was gone, the offensive line had lost three four-year starters and the focus was on the Sooners' only real threat: Peterson. He mustered 63 yards on 22 carries and injured his ankle in a shocking season-opening loss to TCU. Though he missed one game and had a three-week stretch in which he ran for 57 yards, Peterson still finished with 1,108 yards and 14 touchdowns, including 626 over the last four games of the year.

"I thought he handled [the injury] incredibly well," head coach Bob Stoops said. "Obviously I was watching very closely to see what his reactions would be dealing with the frustration. Through it all, what I appreciated, was how many times he kept trying to come back. There's a lot of superstars who would protect themselves, but that was never him."

Much of Peterson's late production was due to the emergence of then-freshman quarterback Rhett Bomar, who threw for 1,008 yards over the last five games. If Peterson is to approach the production of his first season, Bomar will have to continue to take the pressure off the running game and free Peterson up to do his thing, and Stoops is making it his main priority.

"We have to come out from Day One and have a good, strong passing game," Stoops said. "If we do, it will help our offense. We're always doing our best to be a balanced football team."

That "balance," though, will include more than a healthy dose of Peterson, who has worked during the spring on his pass catching to become a complete back.

"We're going to try to get him 2,000 yards like he did his freshman year, and we're going to try to get him another 500 or so receiving," Stoops said. "We'd like to see the guy make a lot of big plays, gain a lot of yards."

This season is not without its questions. Once again the Sooners will have to play offensive-line Sudoku as they have only one returning starter from last year -- senior left tackle Chris Messner -- and will have three sophomores and a freshman among this season's projected starters. The youth movement is forcing Peterson, who is known for his quiet demeanor and for shying away from the spotlight, to take on a more vocal approach.

"You have to start accepting the role of a leader," Peterson said. "Now I'm looking around, I look at the offensive line and I'm looking at the quarterback and the receivers and I'm seeing young guys, and you realize it came fast, but it's time for you to be a leader and be more vocal."

The Sooners' schedule should be a boost to Peterson's Heisman campaign, as well as the team's national-title chances. Oklahoma went 7-4 while playing the toughest schedule in the country last season, rebounding from a 2-3 start to reach the Holiday Bowl, where it beat Oregon. This year its only foreseeable challenges are a Sept. 16 trip to Oregon and, of course, the Red River Shootout with Texas -- though last season no one would have expected an early collapse from a team that opened the season ranked seventh in the country.

If last season's strong finish and the spring are any indication, the Sooners learned from the frustrations of last year's rocky start, but whether this is a championship-caliber team is uncertain. One thing is for sure: Adrian Peterson doesn't want to be concerned with house cleaning when the Heisman is awarded this year.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6782/adrianpeterson7ke.jpg ("[URL=http://imageshack.us)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/cory_mccartney/06/29/peterson.oklahoma/index.html

GDC
6/30/2006, 04:58 PM
Peterson adds fuel for Sooners' revival in '07
By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist
6/30/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops may have some concerns about his team for the upcoming season.

None of those would involve running back Adrian Peterson.

Stoops and Peterson were on a teleconference with national college football writers and broadcasters Thursday.

Yes, Stoops admitted, there is some concern about a young team being ranked No. 1 or very high in the polls.

No, Stoops said, he had no concerns about using Peterson, who missed part of last year with injury.

In fact, the more Peterson is used is better for the Sooners, he said.

And, Stoops sounded like a coach who wants to put the ball in Peterson's hands at every possible moment.

That's a great idea, given what Peterson has done when healthy during his first two seasons.

There's a reason why Peterson finds himself as the Heisman Trophy preseason favorite. His sensational freshman season, followed by what he did when healthy as a sophomore, makes him the college football player to watch this season.

If Stoops has his way, you'll be watching a lot of Peterson this fall.

"We'd like to get him 2,000-yards like he did as a freshman and another 500 yards receiving," said Stoops.

To a large degree, Oklahoma's success the past two years has risen and fallen with Peterson's health.

Still, there is no reason to worry about his health. His ankle injury was the result of a freak play.

It was not from over-use or too many carries. It was just one of those things that sometimes happen in football.

So, Stoops sees no reason for any alteration of the plan.

If you have the best running back in college football, and he is, then you need to be putting the ball in his hands.

"Until he was hurt he had a lot of success," said Stoops. "We plan to give him the ball a lot. Hopefully he'll stay healthy.

"I can't compare him to anybody. I haven't seen anything like him."

Peterson has no lack of motivation to get back to his freshman form.

He was the Heisman Trophy runner-up to Matt Leinart two years ago. Last season he didn't make the final group after he limped through about half the season.

Peterson said he watched last year's Heisman Trophy presentation at his home. He thought about the previous year when he was a part of the final group at the presentation and his team was headed to the national championship game against Southern California.

All of those things have served as extra motivation the past winter and spring.

"I want to make up for it," said Peterson. "I've used that as motivation for this year.

"It was painful last year to have to watch our team and not be able to go out there and play. It wasn't something I wanted to do."

As a result, Oklahoma got off to a 2-3 start with a limping Peterson and a new quarterback. As Peterson got healthy, the passing game finally started to blossom.

By the end of the season, a Holiday Bowl victory over Oregon, the Sooners appeared to be back at the level we've come to expect in the Stoops era.

"We had to come off some losses the whole season," said Peterson. "We just have to learn from it.

"It will help us focus on what needs to be done to win the Big 12 and play for the national championship. We want to get back to winning the Big 12 and playing for the national championship."

If the early polls are right, OU will be back in the national hunt this fall. Some preseason magazines have Oklahoma ranked No. 1.

"Right now that's just a ranking," said Peterson. "We haven't played any games."

Stoops was quick to add that being No. 1 is something the program and staff has dealt with often in the past.

However, dealing with those kind of expectations is something he'll have to work on with his young players.

He wants those young players to understand what it takes in reality to get to be No. 1.

"Whether we've won or lost I've always said the team coming back is different," said Stoops. "You start from ground zero. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. You have to deal with them differently.

"Our guys are fairly young. We have by no means earned that position. We will talk to them about that. It should be pretty simple to understand."

But Stoops knows exactly what to expect from Peterson.

"If he's fresh and healthy he'll be out there," said Stoops..

stoopified
6/30/2006, 05:06 PM
Now that is a well written,thoughtful piece of journalism.AD has proven you can be talented like Marcus Dupree and be a team player in the mold of Spencer Tillman.True class person.

sooner94
6/30/2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for posting those articles. Nice reads. As great a physical talent as AD is, he's also a great kid and great teammate.

I like the plan to get him 500 yards receiving. They were going to try to do that last year but the ankle injury nixed that. I liked what they did throwing the ball to him in the spring game.

AzianSooner
6/30/2006, 10:20 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6782/adrianpeterson7ke.jpg ("[URL=http://imageshack.us)

Is that AD run ove a guy named TRUCKS?

Just like a forward train at the top speed.