PDA

View Full Version : Is Dupree really one of the top OU 100?

stoopified
6/30/2006, 09:51 AM
I was recently perusing through my Sooners Illustrated Top 100 OU players book for about the 999,999 time.It occured to me that there are two players listed that I feel do NOT belong.I have felt like that since I got the book a couple of years ago but decided to bring the topic to SoonerFans now.

The two players that I strongly believe unworthy are Marcus Dupree and Joe Don Looney.Dupree listed at #69 was only at OU lrss than a year and ahalf and while he showed great talent and even GREATER POTENTIAL is not worthy of the HONOR of being a top 100.He was a devisive and disruptive force while at OU.He capped his i 1/2 seasons off by quitting after the UT game his sophomore year.This along with his lack of commitment to the team and poor work ethic should be more than enough to exclude him from the list.After all we have so many great players who ARE worthy.

Joe Don Looney listed at #75 SHOULD ALSO be dropped for many of the same reasons, poor practice habits, unsettling influence on the team which was capped by dismissal from the team for amomg other things ,.assaulting a coach.He too was a GREAT TALENT but talent alone should not place him among the TOP 100 SOONERS of All-time.Scoot Evans,Torrance Marshall,Ray SUGARBEAR Hamilton,Terry Webb to name just a few,are far more worthy IMHO.

For those who don't have a copy of this book,I DO highly reccomend it.It has excellent photos and write-ups on all 100 players as voted on by Brent Clark, Tramel,Barry sr. and Jim Weeks.Great job,other than the two i mentioned.While the order can be argued for the most partI think they did an outstanding job.

fwsooner22
6/30/2006, 11:06 AM
This is not even worth a response.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/30/2006, 11:27 AM
I think it's worth a response.

swardboy
6/30/2006, 11:39 AM
Responding: But they were FREAKS man!

Part of the lore.....

47straight
6/30/2006, 12:33 PM
Dupree no, Looney yes. He actually accomplished some things, he isn't there because of potential/talent. And as far as entertainment value goes, lazy is boring, but looney makes for some great stories.

stoopified
6/30/2006, 03:47 PM
IGuess attacking a coach is exciting?fw 22 you just a punk rookie,what do you know? Noting thats wjat,come back when you got some numbers and some 'spek.

oumartin
6/30/2006, 07:02 PM
that last post really confused me.

where was Patrick Fletcher on that list?

Texas Golfer
6/30/2006, 08:26 PM
I would think he'd be there. He was one of the more exciting Sooner backs.

RokoAnton
6/30/2006, 11:18 PM
Marcus is in the book because of what he did do while he was at OU!! Does anyone remember the excitement he brought that year? I was just a little tiny kid in the fall of '82 and I remember the excitement of watching him play! The first big run he had against Texas. Does anyone remember how much Nebraska out-talented OU that year? Because of Marcus the Sooners ALMOST beat a much more talented Husker team! Doesn't anyone remember jumping out of their seats when he opened the 2nd half of that Nebraska game with an 86 yard cross country jaunt? He made 1982 a tolerable year, and kept OU in the hunt for the Big 8 title ALL YEAR, even though I do not think anyone would argue with me that the 1982 team was probably the LEAST talented team Switzer had! So mabye Marcus did not stay the full four years and I am sure he was hell on Switzer's blood pressure, but I can guanrantee you that it is because of Dupree that the bridge from 1981 to 1983 is gaped with the 8-4 record and the Fiesta Bowl rather than a 6-5..OR EVEN WORSE..A 5-6 LOSING RECORD..and no bowl at all!! Plus I would bet the fact that Marcus was the #1 recruit in the universe at his time, probably got a lot of those players that were on the 1985 National Championship squad, too sign with Oklahoma also! It is just one mans humble opinion, but I would have too say that Marcus Dupree is quite deserving of being on the list of top 100 all time Sooners! As far as Looney goes, I really can not say as I have no memory of him at all..From what I hear though..Great Talent with tons of potential!

fossil
7/1/2006, 11:47 AM
Dupree no, Looney yes. He actually accomplished some things, he isn't there because of potential/talent. And as far as entertainment value goes, lazy is boring, but looney makes for some great stories.
:P One of those 'great things' was punting once for something like minus 10 yards. Windy day, as I understand it, and he didn't keep the ball low. It went almost straight up, wind caught and carried it backwards for a loss on the play. Not a great punter by any means, but he did other things for the team, I guess.

Collier11
7/1/2006, 12:16 PM
NO

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2006, 01:59 PM
Looney was a nut case so he is foregiven. I can never forgive Doo-flea, he was a lazy bum.

Readyfor8
7/1/2006, 02:26 PM
As to Marcus Dupree, I think of him as the first Maurice Clarrett. Talented as hell, strong as a rock, and the softest part of his body is between his ears.

soonerjoker
7/3/2006, 10:01 AM
what about Boz. he was dismissed before his Sr. year. &/or quit.

Snrfn4ever08
7/3/2006, 11:30 AM
what about Boz. he was dismissed before his Sr. year. &/or quit.
blashphemy:mad:

Flagstaffsooner
7/3/2006, 11:47 AM
what about Boz. he was dismissed before his Sr. year. &/or quit.You need to watch this (http://storesense.megawebservers.com/hs105/Detail.bok?no=13).