PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern head coach Randy Walker dies......

Salt City Sooner
6/30/2006, 01:49 AM
no link yet, but I just saw it in the corner "breaking news" update on ESPN News. Prayers to the Wildcat nation, as well as coaches Wilson & Patton. Apparently, he had a heart attack. He was 52.

Edit: Found a link-

http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/063006aaa.html

Sooner24
6/30/2006, 09:05 AM
That's awful. :(

SOONERKAT
6/30/2006, 09:13 AM
Holy crap! That's terrible. My in-laws are huge Big 10 fans (IOWA) so I watch a lot of thier games. This comes as a huge shock. Prayers to his family and the all of the NU fans out there. He was a hell of a ball coach, no doubt.:(

tru2ou
6/30/2006, 09:23 AM
I hate to say this at such a terrible time for Northwestern and the Walker family but...

Does anyone know if Kevin Wilson will be contacted about this job? He has some strong Northwestern ties and I would think he would be interested. Did he leave under bad circumstances?

Just curious...

- TRU

SoonerStormchaser
6/30/2006, 09:41 AM
The thing that shocks me is that my father is the same age as him...and my father is fast approaching the age where his father died...

Death really is the great equalizer...and definitely puts everything into perspective.

My deepest sympathies to his family and the Northwestern family.

snp
6/30/2006, 11:46 AM
Why couldn't it have been Gary Barnett?

Does anyone know if Kevin Wilson will be contacted about this job? He has some strong Northwestern ties and I would think he would be interested. Did he leave under bad circumstances?

Leaving OU right now for NW would be career suicide for Wilson. He's not going there this year, not a chance.

Edit: And what has Wilson done to deserve a head coaching gig? Nothing yet.

Scott D
6/30/2006, 01:30 PM
I hate to say this at such a terrible time for Northwestern and the Walker family but...

Just curious...

- TRU

One way I heard it put was that people at Northwestern weren't sorry to see him (Wilson) leave.

That's crushing for the Walker family however...the guy nearly died two years ago I understand.

soonerspiff
6/30/2006, 05:48 PM
My brother went to Northwestern and knew Coach Walker's son. My thoughts and prayers go out to that family... He was a great coach and really well liked by everyone. It's just all really sad...

stoopified
6/30/2006, 06:35 PM
That hits close to home as I am 46 ,am 20 pounds overweight and have high blood pressure and cohlesterol.Medication has the condition under control,but I need to lose weight and get more than keyboard exercise.

GDC
7/1/2006, 05:43 PM
Wilson was influenced by Walker
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
7/1/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

NORMAN -- Shockwaves from the death of Northwestern football coach Randy Walker have hit Oklahoma.

"I'm doing what I do because of Coach Walker," said OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, who served with Walker on staffs at Northwestern, Miami (Ohio) and North Carolina for 15 years prior to joining the Sooners in 2001 and who played under Walker as a Tar Heel offensive lineman from 1980-83.

"I am who I am, to a large extent, because of Coach Walker. He was one of the biggest influences on my life."

Out of that respect, Wilson refused to comment when asked about the possibility he'd make a logical successor to Walker, who died Thursday of an apparent heart attack. Wilson kept his comments personal when reached Friday.

"For the better part of 20 years, I probably spent as much time with him as I had with my parents," Wilson said. "From my values to what I believe in, what to do and not to do . . . That was all influenced through him."

Wilson, who said he last spoke with Walker June 22, has been on the phone constantly since hearing the news just before midnight Thursday. For Walker's extended family, reaching as far south as Norman, it is a difficult, reflective time.

"He's as quality a person, with high

character and moral fiber, as I've ever known," Wilson said. "His integrity and values were impeccable. And I'll tell you, he never got his due as a coach.

"I promise there's a little Randy Walker here in Oklahoma football."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

goingoneight
7/1/2006, 06:05 PM
That's terrible in every sense of the word. As far as a coach is concerned, I really thought this coming season was going to surprise the nation under Walker. He is highly thought of by many conference opponents as well as his students working as they said in the article, some as far as south Norman...

Rest In Peace...