PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Peterson released from prison

Ruuuuuufus
6/29/2006, 06:01 PM
Peterson's father released from prison

By Berry Tramel
The Oklahoman
NORMAN -- Adrian Peterson's father, incarcerated since his son was in the seventh grade, has been moved to a halfway house in Dallas and has a projected release date of Oct. 5.

Two days later, in that same city, the Oklahoma Sooners play Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

"If everything goes good, he should be there," the OU tailback said. "It's going to be crazy, being able to look in the stands, see him. Maybe be the extra drive I'll need."

Nelson Peterson was convicted on federal charges of laundering money acquired from the distribution of crack cocaine. He was sentenced to the Federal Correctional Institute in Texarkana, Texas, and hasn't seen his son play football since, other than televised games.

But Nelson and Adrian have remained close.

"His father's still been a strong influence on his life," said OU coach Bob Stoops. "Under difficult circumstances, he has helped discipline with Adrian, has been a big factor with Adrian, has stayed in close contact with him.

"I've talked with Nelson on occasion. He's been nothing but supportive for his son."

Adrian Peterson on occasion has revealed guidance he has received from his father, either through phone calls or prison visits to Texarkana.

Last season, during which Peterson was bothered by nagging injuries after an All-American year as a 2004 freshman, Peterson told The Oklahoman of wisdom imparted by his father. Success, Nelson Peterson told his son, is like a light switch, "Any moment, the light switch can be cut off. It was cut off for a while. Now that I'm back, I'm gonna go out there and hopefully get it cut back on."

Stoops said the release of Nelson Peterson should be a positive for Adrian.

"To have an opportunity to meet with him during the week, being close by, has to be a great thing," Stoops said. "I look at it as a big positive.

"More than anything, it will help him as a young man, having another support figure right here he can visit with and that can help him.

"Let's face it, Adrian has a lot of demands and expectation and whatnot. So he has somebody that he's close to that he's got a chance to share with."

Adrian Peterson remains close with his mother and stepfather, who during Peterson's freshman year at OU moved to Purcell from Palestine, Texas, where Peterson went to high school and where he has a daughter.

In a teleconference Thursday, Peterson was asked what motivates him during summer workouts.

"A lot of things motivate me," he said. "My dad, my parents, my daughter. I want to do good for them."

Nelson Peterson was a standout basketball player at Lon Morris Junior College in Jacksonville, Texas, in 1982. He signed with OU and coach Billy Tubbs but never arrived in Norman. Peterson ended up playing at Idaho State.

http://www.newsok.com/article/1880934

zeke
6/29/2006, 06:07 PM
Thats great news. A.D. will be on-fire at the Cotton Bowl.

But better than that he will be able to spend time with his Dad.

sooner94
6/29/2006, 06:18 PM
That's great for AD and his family. Now he can hang out with pops, and pops can see him play.

AD's a great kid.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 06:39 PM
Sweet! Oh, and if pops is out to see him play this coming season, then good luck in the NFL afterwards, AD. ;)

XingTheRubicon
6/29/2006, 09:46 PM
If only he were in clink here, he'd probably be released about Oct 5, 2007.;)

Wishboned
6/29/2006, 10:50 PM
That will be a heck of an atmosphere for a father to watch his son play for the first time.

And I sure hope AD puts on a great show for his dad.

tulsaoilerfan
6/29/2006, 10:52 PM
Poor Texas, they don't stand a chance now

85sooners
6/29/2006, 10:59 PM
Hook 'em they will die!!!!!

Snrfn4ever08
6/29/2006, 11:24 PM
october 7th, 'horns, it's comin', and this year i mean itHook 'em

King Crimson
6/29/2006, 11:27 PM
Tramel's use of the quote about Nelson being in the stands "for UT" is totally out of context: the press conf. transcript doesn't say anything about the Texas game specifically, but the opener and having him back in his life. nice work, Berry.

http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/543574.html

DENNIS DODD, CBS Sportsline - When is your dad getting out?

PETERSON – When is he getting out? Actually, he’s in a halfway house right now so maybe in a couple of months.

DODD – What kind of impact is that going to have now with him back in your life?

PETERSON – It’s going to be crazy, you know. Man, being able to look in the stands and see him in the stands, I don’t know, maybe it will give me the extra drive that I need.

DODD – Yeah, I’m assuming he’s going to be there for the opener and all the games.

PETERSON – God willing, everything goes good, he should be there.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
6/30/2006, 08:22 AM
That's really good news to hear. I'm happy for AD & his dad. AD is gonna explode at the Cotton Bowl! I guess he'll be off to NFL for sure now.

How old is AD's daughter?

Jason White's Third Knee
6/30/2006, 08:28 AM
At least we know that AmfD won't be slacking this time.

I am kinda surprised that money laundering is still a crime.

the_ouskull
6/30/2006, 02:15 PM
So are we.

Sincerely,

http://www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1999/images/officespace_stupididea.jpg

GDC
6/30/2006, 03:33 PM
I thought he wasn't getting out until next year, and that's one of the reasons AD was supposedly considering coming back, so his father could see him play in college.

stoopified
6/30/2006, 04:02 PM
Can't help wondering if AD will be too pumped.Hope not,happy for him that his Dad is out.

GDC
6/30/2006, 05:00 PM
Waiting for dad
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
6/30/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Adrian Peterson will play his first college games in front of his father this season
On Oct. 5, Nelson Peterson is scheduled to be released from custody of a federal community corrections center in Dallas.

Two days later, Adrian Peterson is scheduled to be released on the Texas defense at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

"It's going to be crazy," Adrian Peterson said Thursday morning during a national conference call. "Man, being able to look in the stands and see him in the stands, maybe it'll give me the extra drive I need."

Actually, Peterson's father likely will be able to attend all of his son's games, from the Sept. 2 season-opener against Alabama-Birmingham on. Nelson Peterson was remanded to a halfway house in Dallas earlier this year after serving seven years at the federal prison in Texarkana, Texas, for laundering drug money.

"Maybe in a couple months," Peterson said. "If everything goes good, he should be there."

Peterson has remained close to his father despite his incarceration, and OU head coach Bob Stoops said he has gotten to know the elder Peterson, first during the running back's recruitment and throughout his first two years in Norman.

Stoops said Nelson Peterson's release

this year "has to be a positive thing" for Adrian.

"His father's been a strong influence in his life and still is. Though in different circumstances, (he) has helped discipline Adrian, has been a motivating factor and has stayed in close contact with him. So having an opportunity to be with him during the week and to be close by, it has to be a great thing for him.

"I've talked to Nelson on a lot of occasions and he's been nothing but supporting and strong of his son, and he's been great for me as a person to visit with in regards to his son. So I look at it as a big positive."

Family has been a driving force in every aspect of Peterson's life. He saw his brother run over by a drunken driver when he was a child. His mother and stepfather moved from Palestine, Texas, to Purcell in the summer of 2005 to be closer to him. Peterson also has a baby daughter.

"A lot of things keep me motivated," Peterson said. "My dad, my brother, my parents, my daughter. I just want to do good to make those people proud. My grandfather passed very recently, and stuff like that keeps me motivated and keeps me doing what I need to do."

Peterson was the consensus No. 1-ranked high school football player in the country in 2003, and he set numerous college football records during his freshman season, when he ran for 1,925 yards (an OU single-season record and an NCAA freshman single-season record) and finished second in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy.

Last season, Peterson missed most of four games with a high ankle sprain but still ran for 1,104 yards. With 1,089 yards this season, Peterson -- who said he now weighs about 223 pounds and is stronger and more powerful than he was -- will overtake Billy Sims' record of 4,118 career yards as the Sooners' all-time rushing king.

Peterson said last season's injury and the games he missed were "painful, just not being able to go out there and go to war with my team."

He said he was at home sweeping the floor one day last December when the Heisman Trophy ceremony came on television. With a broom in his hand, Peterson watched USC's Reggie Bush feted as college football's most outstanding player.

"Being at the house last year, watching it on TV -- 'Dang, this time last year I was up there, nervous, sitting in that chair like they are,' " Peterson said. "I use that as motivation to get me prepared for this year."

Peterson took questions for 30 minutes, roughly 20 percent of which was focused on the Heisman. Peterson said he started dreaming of winning college football's top individual prize "when I was a little boy, playing Pee Wee."

Three times, Peterson was asked if he'd rather win the Heisman or: beat Texas, win a national championship, be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. His responses: Beat Texas, win the national championship, win the Heisman.

"It's hard to express what it means, not having (the Heisman) right now, but I'm pretty sure it would mean a great deal," he said.

A national title, he said, would be the best, though.

"No doubt," he said. "Why? Because you go through your workouts with all these guys, we go through the workouts, bust our butts with sweat and blood and tears to get ready for this, for first the Big 12 and then the national championship.

"Winning the national championship is a goal you set as a team and what you do as a team, that's what matters."

Family, too, matters to Peterson. That's why he can't wait until this fall when his father can watch him play football in person for the first time since the seventh grade.

"I think more than anything, I think it'll help him as a young man, to have another support figure right here that he can visit with and that can help him," Stoops said. "Let's face it, Adrian has a lot of demands on his time that can wear on you, expectations and what not. So he has somebody that he's close with that he has a chance to share it with."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].