PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: Avoid Pakistani meat market in Tulsa

Okla-homey
6/29/2006, 04:47 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tulsa Business Owner Investigated For Selling Diseased Meat

KOTV - 6/29/2006 9:55 AM - Updated: 6/29/2006 4:29 PM
A specialty grocer is in the Tulsa County jail accused of selling tainted meat. State investigators raided his market and restaurant and now he faces felony charges.

News on 6 anchor Scott Thompson says investigators from the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry say they've been putting a case against Tariq Mahmood together for almost a year.

His Khyber International Pakistani Restaurant and Grocery at 36th and Sheridan is locked up. Agriculture inspectors shut it down after they raided the store Wednesday. They say they were first tipped off when a meat inspector found Mahmood was selling meat that hadn't passed inspection.

In the months that followed, investigators say they found Mahmood would go to livestock auctions and buy diseased animals. Several butcher shops tell the News on 6, Mahmood would bring the animals to have them butchered.

The state Agricultural Department says sometimes, he'd even butcher the animals himself and sell the meat in his store. But inspectors say they didn't find any tainted meat during Wednesday's raid. Jack Carson with the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry: "the store was in compliance with the laws. We feel like he knew this was coming, and he had everything in order yesterday."

The News on 6 talked to two stockyards where Mahmood bought animals. They told us he had always been a frequent customer up until 6 months ago, when they think he figured out he was being investigated.

The state Agricultural Department says it seems no one has gotten sick from eating the diseased meat. Still, Mahmood is facing 6 criminal charges.

yermom
6/29/2006, 04:49 PM
yeah, thanks for letting him continue to sell it to people for almost a year ;)

NormanPride
6/29/2006, 04:49 PM
...How diseased? A cold? Or like... ebola?

C&CDean
6/29/2006, 04:52 PM
Huh. The cattle sales I go to do not sell "diseased animals." Now some of them look pretty raggedy, but I've never once heard the auctioneer go "hummana hummana who'll pay $1.50 for the sick cow...."

toast
6/29/2006, 04:54 PM
"the store was in compliance with the laws. We feel like he knew this was coming, and he had everything in order yesterday."

What??? The NY Times tip him off?? :)

Okla-homey
6/29/2006, 05:12 PM
...How diseased? A cold? Or like... ebola?

Well, its kinda gross but the story in the paper said his usual MO was to buy the cows with big 'ol honkin' face cancers covering an eye and stuff. Whether eating meat from cancerous cows can hurt you or not is somebody else's call I guess. That said, he allegedly bought cows designated "do not sell" at the stock sales, trailered 'em up then went trolling for butchers.

Imagine the scenario, guy rolls up to your butcher shop with some disgusting cow who looks like she could be cast as a mutant in a "Mad Max" flick and asks you to process her. Yikes!

49r
6/29/2006, 05:32 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about singles bars in Tulsa frequented mainly by folks of Pakistani origin.

That might have been more interesting...

slickdawg
6/29/2006, 05:33 PM
Well, at least they weren't mad cows.

StoopTroup
6/29/2006, 05:38 PM
I've never bought meat from a Pakistani...

The dual citizenship types of folk I worked for at one time in my life...well...lets just say I think they are very big on cost cutting...

I think it's good to actually know someone who works in the kitchen when you go out to eat...matter of fact...if the owner or manager wouldn't give me the tour of his operation...I might not even eat there.

Homey...

I'm pretty sure Kilkenney's is OK. :D

Stay out of the third world restaurants until you talk to me...;)

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 05:43 PM
Well, at least they weren't mad cows.

Two of them were pretty miffed though.

picasso
6/29/2006, 06:23 PM
I saw that on the news. who the hell would buy meat form that place anyway? did you see the sign out front? goat and pig meat? oy.

BudSooner
6/29/2006, 06:49 PM
Oh the stories I could tell as a former butcher(no, not that kind either)from years past.

picasso
6/29/2006, 06:56 PM
last night on modern marvels they did the butcher. even showed a guy that has a portable butcher set-up. quite a rig!
he does the killing, butchering and wrapping on location! pretty cool.

Jimminy Crimson
6/29/2006, 06:59 PM
I saw that on the news. who the hell would buy meat form that place anyway? did you see the sign out front? goat and pig meat? oy.

aka pork ;)

picasso
6/29/2006, 07:02 PM
aka pork ;)
yes, that sounds better.

AlbqSooner
6/29/2006, 07:22 PM
Goat makes EXCELLENT Barbeque.

lefty
6/29/2006, 07:29 PM
Did you have to send him/her to school to learn how to cook? Or do goats just know how to do it?;)

BudSooner
6/29/2006, 09:01 PM
Goat makes EXCELLENT Barbeque.

A bit on the greasy side isn't it????