PDA

View Full Version : AD To Win RRS on His Own

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:50 PM
Think he might be up for that one? :)

By Berry Tramel
NORMAN -- Adrian Peterson's father, incarcerated since his son was in the seventh grade, has been moved to a halfway house in Dallas and has a projected release date of Oct. 5.
Two days later, in that same city, the Oklahoma Sooners play Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

"If everything goes good, he should be there," the OU tailback said. "It's going to be crazy, being able to look in the stands, see him. Maybe be the extra drive I'll need."

Nelson Peterson was convicted on federal charges of laundering money acquired from the distribution of crack cocaine. He was sentenced to the Federal Correctional Institute in Texarkana, Texas, and hasn't seen his son play football since, other than televised games.

But Nelson and Adrian have remained close.

"His father's still been a strong influence on his life," said OU coach Bob Stoops. "Under difficult circumstances, he has helped discipline with Adrian, has been a big factor with Adrian, has stayed in close contact with him.

"I've talked with Nelson on occasion. He's been nothing but supportive for his son."

Adrian Peterson on occasion has revealed guidance he has received from his father, either through phone calls or prison visits to Texarkana.

Last season, during which Peterson was bothered by nagging injuries after an All-American year as a 2004 freshman, Peterson told The Oklahoman of wisdom imparted by his father. Success, Nelson Peterson told his son, is like a light switch, "Any moment, the light switch can be cut off. It was cut off for a while. Now that I'm back, I'm gonna go out there and hopefully get it cut back on."

Stoops said the release of Nelson Peterson should be a positive for Adrian.

"To have an opportunity to meet with him during the week, being close by, has to be a great thing," Stoops said. "I look at it as a big positive.

"More than anything, it will help him as a young man, having another support figure right here he can visit with and that can help him.

"Let's face it, Adrian has a lot of demands and expectation and whatnot. So he has somebody that he's close to that he's got a chance to share with."

Adrian Peterson remains close with his mother and stepfather, who during Peterson's freshman year at OU moved to Purcell from Palestine, Texas, where Peterson went to high school and where he has a daughter.

In a teleconference Thursday, Peterson was asked what motivates him during summer workouts.

"A lot of things motivate me," he said. "My dad, my parents, my daughter. I want to do good for them."

Nelson Peterson was a standout basketball player at Lon Morris Junior College in Jacksonville, Texas, in 1982. He signed with OU and coach Billy Tubbs but never arrived in Norman. Peterson ended up playing at Idaho State.

sooneron
6/29/2006, 01:51 PM
I was going to post the usual -uh hm mm, shouldn't this be on the football board, but then I realized, Pat is never on the football board.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/29/2006, 01:52 PM
I didn't know he had a daughter.

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:53 PM

Actually, doesn't he have more than one?

JohnnyMack
6/29/2006, 01:53 PM

Pat or AD?

sooneron
6/29/2006, 01:54 PM
Wait, Pat is ADs daughter?

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:55 PM
Wait, Pat is ADs daughter?

Why do they call me PD?

OU4LIFE
6/29/2006, 01:56 PM

i'm a little shocked at myself for not knowing that as well.

BlondeSoonerGirl

See, if I didn't know he had the one how would I have more detal on any others?

You wear me slick sometimes, Pat.

Mjcpr

OU4LIFE
6/29/2006, 01:57 PM
You wear me slick sometimes, Squeek.

Howzit

I knew it. You're all a bunch of pseudoSooners.

Mjcpr
See, if I didn't know he had the one how would I have more detal on any others?

You wear me slick sometimes, Pat.

You wish.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/29/2006, 01:58 PM
You wish.

Heh.

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:58 PM
You wear me slick sometimes, Squeek.
You wish.

TopDaugIn2000
6/29/2006, 02:26 PM
I didn't know it either. wow

OU4LIFE
6/29/2006, 02:53 PM
You wish.

Heh?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/29/2006, 02:56 PM
I didn't know he had a daughter.You didn't know I had one either.

SoonerInKCMO
6/29/2006, 02:59 PM
AD is SBSB's baby daddy? :confused:

Partial Qualifier
6/29/2006, 03:08 PM
well maybe you guys should read the FOOTBALL BOARD every now & then :mad: ;)

TopDaugIn2000
6/29/2006, 03:20 PM
well maybe you guys should read the FOOTBALL BOARD every now & then :mad: ;)

there's a football board?

OUinFLA
6/29/2006, 08:35 PM
What's the big deal, I have a daughter and none of you knew that either.
I bet many of you have a daughter and most of us dont know it.

TopDaugIn2000
6/29/2006, 09:40 PM
but YOU aren't AD :P

OUinFLA
6/29/2006, 10:04 PM
but YOU aren't AD :P

are you sure?
:D

soonerboomer93
6/29/2006, 11:41 PM
I knew you had a daughter :D

olevetonahill
6/29/2006, 11:52 PM
I knew you have a wife
and to the rest of you pervs , Shes Hawt ;)

OUinFLA
6/30/2006, 09:46 AM
I knew you had a daughter :D

soonerboomer93
I know nothing...

Im shocked
:eek:

Thanks olevet, she thinks so too. :D

sooneron
6/30/2006, 09:50 AM
Surprisingly, this story has even made the NY Post-

June 30, 2006 -- Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson began dreaming of winning the Heisman when he was seven. That's motivation.

Peterson finished second to USC's Matt Leinart in the 2004 voting, but a shoulder injury prevented him from being one of the Top 4 players invited to New York last season. That's motivation.

Peterson's father, Nelson, has never seen his son play a college game. Nelson Peterson was sentenced to 10-years in a federal prison for drug money. Nelson probably will get to see his son play this season.

Now that's motivation.

"Actually he's in a halfway house right now so maybe in a couple of months," Peterson said on a conference call yesterday, letting the end of the sentence hang.

Nelson Peterson was Adrian's first hero, first mentor and first male figure to let him down. Nelson was a Florida high school basketball star and still is one of Idaho State's Top 10 scorers.

"It was tough," Peterson said before the 2004 Orange Bowl. "I just try to use it in a positive way. Instead of holding my head down, I lifted my head up, just used that to motivate me to keep going and have the will and the drive to do the stuff that I want to do for him."

There is one thing Peterson can't do for his father. He can run for 1,925 yards as he did as a freshman but that does not matter to parole boards. He can suck it up and run for 1,108 yards last season, until the shoulder injury shelved him midway through the season, but that wasn't going to help his father walk out of the prison in Texarkana.

If Nelson Peterson was going to see his son play, he had to carry the ball. Unless Nelson fumbles away what might be a last chance, he should be in the stands this season when the Sooners, led by the 6-2, 233-pound Peterson, makes a run for the national championship.

"It's going to be crazy," said Adrian Peterson. "Being able to look in the stands and see him in the stands, I'm going to use that as the extra drive that I need. If everything goes right, he should be there."

[email protected]