PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car...

Norman Sooner
6/29/2006, 12:31 PM
Im fixin to buy my first car and am looking for somewhere to shop that wont screw me over. I knw that most places will but im sure someone has had a positive experience with a dealership..Im already approved through capitol one and dont need all the financing stuff..Anyone a car dealer on here or know ofsomewhere that will give me a good deal? Any help would be appreciated, im trying to get a head start as my father is coing and well lets just say that we are polar opposites.A fight is surely to occurr tomorrow..In which he will throw his temper tantrum and i will feel bad..At any rate, any help with buying a car would be helpful...

Sooner in Tampa
6/29/2006, 12:32 PM
www.carmax.com

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 12:32 PM
You're not married to CapitalOne....seems like the dealers have the best rates when it comes to new vehicles. Give them a shot and take whichever is the best.

royalfan5
6/29/2006, 12:33 PM
DuTeau Chevorlet in Lincoln, Nebraska is great to work with. Find a low pressure place, and you will be able to tell if they are, and stick with them for your first car.

NormanPride
6/29/2006, 12:34 PM
One of you stay outside. When the dealer gives you an offer, say you have to confer with the person outside. Always come back with a no. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/29/2006, 12:35 PM
What are you buying?

Jimminy Crimson
6/29/2006, 12:37 PM
If you don't want to be screwed, don't buy new.

I suggest carmax as well.

Never bought from them, but I've never heard a complaint. I'm looking at them for my new ride though.

XingTheRubicon
6/29/2006, 12:45 PM
Car dealers will pull 2 bureaus: TransUnion and Equifax (CSC)

Auto lenders will pull both of these or just one. Never Experian (almost never)

You should pull your credit on truecredit.com and see which score (TU or EQ) is the highest. Then get approved online with a lender that pulls your best bureau.

FWIW: Bank of America: pulls only TU for auto loans
Chase-TU
HAFC-EQ
Diamlar Chrysler- Both
GMAC- Both
Ford Motor Credit - EQ
and so on....

BTW, Capitol One is anal warts with cute commercials

Last, figure up your payment with a payment calculator before you let a Finance Dept quote you anything. That way you know if they are slipping anything in on you.

Last, Last....Dealerships can and will charge you up to 3% over what you are approved for. That's why it's to your benefit to get approved before hand and then beat them to death on price, and don't tell them you have your own financing until you get to finance.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/29/2006, 12:48 PM
Go to freecreditreports.com

Boarder
6/29/2006, 12:54 PM
WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU WANT? ANY BRAND IN PARTICULAR?

I like:
Mike Hellack Chevrolet in Davis
Classic Hummer in Grapevine
Sewell Hummer in Grapevine

I detest:
Bob Moore Hummer (if you buy one there you are getting a)screwed, b)lied to...no exceptions)
Ferguson Pontiac (try to get them to give you a straight answer...go ahead try)

sooneron
6/29/2006, 12:58 PM
What is this financing that you speak of? Just show up with a suitcase full of cash. Worked for us.

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:08 PM
WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU WANT? ANY BRAND IN PARTICULAR?

I like:
Mike Hellack Chevrolet in Davis
Classic Hummer in Grapevine
Sewell Hummer in Grapevine

I detest:
Bob Moore Hummer (if you buy one there you are getting a)screwed, b)lied to...no exceptions)
Ferguson Pontiac (try to get them to give you a straight answer...go ahead try)

Toby Keith buys his stuff in Oklahoma.

sooneron
6/29/2006, 01:10 PM
Aren't you kind of getting screwed if you buy a hummer anywho?

Sooner in Tampa
6/29/2006, 01:14 PM
Toby Keith buys his stuff in Oklahoma.sssshhhhhhh...they don't want to hear that. He is just a white-trash hillbilly who wears crocs:rolleyes:

Boomer.....
6/29/2006, 01:15 PM
Aren't you kind of getting screwed if you buy a hummer anywho?

You are not getting screwed if your getting a hummer, duh. ;)

sooneron
6/29/2006, 01:16 PM
You are not getting screwed if your getting a hummer, duh. ;)
Yes, but getting and buying are two different stories.:texan:

usmc-sooner
6/29/2006, 01:18 PM
just don't let em catch you ridin dirty

1stTimeCaller
6/29/2006, 01:31 PM
try www.edmunds.com to do a little research on the vehicle that you are planning on buying.

fadada1
6/29/2006, 01:38 PM
i've always heard bringing an atractive woman who knows business works. i'm taking my dad's girlfriend's sister on my next buy. she's a top sales person for oracle, and can drive a hard bargain. i'm just going to sit quietly and let her do the talking.

yermom
6/29/2006, 01:38 PM
Big Red Subaru ;)

they have always treated me well...

but like 1TC said, figure out what you want before you go, i'd drive as much other stuff before buying

what price range are you talking? sedans? trucks?

if you wait a few months you'd probably be able to find some 06 models for cheap after the 07 models come out... some might already be that way

i also use edmunds.com excessively, even when i'm not in the market for a new car :O