PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons NBA Draft Diary

colleyvillesooner
6/29/2006, 11:54 AM
There is some really good, funny stuff here: ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060629

10:20 -- The Mavs take Maurice Ager at No. 28. He puts his head in his hands and starts sobbing hysterically as his entourage congratulates him. It's about time we had some emotion tonight, dammit. Ager walks up to the stage in a triple-breasted, oversized beige suit, goes to shake hands with Stern and immediately gets whistled for a foul on Dwyane Wade.

8:56 -- Note to the ESPN guys: Next year, just tell us which guys in the draft AREN'T athletic. Much easier.)

8:20 -- Here's why you have to love the NBA draft: It's the only show where you could ever see a graphic like, "WOULD MOST LIKE TO MEET: HIS PARENTS."

8:13 -- Genius idea by ESPN to stick a microphone on Rudy Gay when he's about to slide out of the top seven. Just a lot of mumbling and head shaking so far. That's followed by a debate about Gay's potential, with Greg Anthony arguing that Gay will be better than people think and Stephen A. countering with, "I haven't seen him play that much." Take THAT, Greg Anthony. Mess with the bull, you get the horns!

Dio
6/29/2006, 12:32 PM
I wonder who sucks worse: The Isaiah era Knicks, or us in the Blake era?

GrapevineSooner
6/29/2006, 03:27 PM
The Blake error was never this bad.

I can't believe some people are duped into thinking Isaiah knows what the hell he's doing.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 03:33 PM
Isaiah is by far worse.....at least blake had never been a head coach before...Zeke has managed to fail at being a coach (Indiana), a GM (Toronto/Indiana), an owner (CBA).

although to be fair, he does have a pretty decent record of drafting players.

colleyvillesooner
6/29/2006, 03:37 PM
although to be fair, he does have a pretty decent record of drafting players.

That's the only nice thing anyone said about him last night.

Scott D
6/29/2006, 03:39 PM
That's the only nice thing anyone said about him last night.

yeah, I thought that was amusing. Especially with that first pick he made.

hurricane'bone
6/29/2006, 04:02 PM
7:42 -- Already, our first trade! Andy Katz (looking like Tony Bennett) reports that Chicago will pick LaMarcus Aldridge second, then trade his rights to Portland for the No. 4 pick, Victor Khryapa and future considerations. Meanwhile, Aldridge makes an incredulous Stern put on a Texas Longhorns hat for 2.3 seconds during their photo op, inadvertently messing up the commish's hair. That's it, Aldridge isn't getting one call from Bennett Salvatore or Dick Bavetta for the next 10 years.

heh.