PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sooner NBA Prospects

the_ouskull
6/29/2006, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by the_me near the end of Febuary:

Taj Grey's NBA Prospects:

By: the_ouskull

Here's the deal... Does he have the size and athleticism to play in the NBA? Yes, he does... At the 3. (For the uninitated, the '3' means small forward. '1' is point, '5' is center, '2' is shooting guard, '4' is power forward.)

HOWEVER, at the NBA level, there are some other things that are required out of the '3' position. Tell me how many of these are things that Taj not only does well, but does NBA-caliber well...

- A consistant jump shot with 18' range and the ability to catch it and shoot it with no hesitation.
- Ball handling capabilities... not well enough to run an offense, but well enough to allow an offense to run through you.
- The ability to face the basket from 15 - 18 and drive to the hole, spot up shoot, or turn around and post it. (All of these require the aforementioned ball-handling.)
- When posting, the ability to pass well out of the post.
- The ability to move well without the basketball and create scoring opportunities through floor placement, setting good picks, and second-chance opportunities.
- The ability to defend both 4's and, occasionally, 2's... generally on defensive switches, even just for short periods of time. (Keep in mind that, in the NBA this could very well mean Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson... not to mention other 3's, like Paul Pierce.)

Taj Grey has the athleticism to play in the NBA, yes... but he lacks almost every other major category. Now, if he were able to put on 20-30 pounds of muscle, without losing any of his explosiveness, he could play the 4 in the NBA with many fewer problems...

...although he'd still have to work on passing out of the post and his 15' jumper.
...and his defense, specifically his post defense.
...and his rebounding.

Taj is a great college player, or at least he has the potential to be when he's not tiring and / or in foul trouble at the end of games. Taj has a LOT of work to do to stick in the NBA.

...and don't me started on Terrell Everett.

Well, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that I knew what I was talking about. So, anyway, on to Terrell:

Lacks NBA range on his shot, decent ball-handler, but would get ripped by NBA point guards at least 1 or 2 times per game due to his high, unprotected dribble. (He's no Magic Johnson...) Passes poorly, especially for his position. (Assist totals nonwithstanding... he has a lot of trouble making the post entry pass, and often times makes too many passes when he's in transition.) No work ethic. Takes absolutely terrible shots at times. Ignorant of the shot clock. Not a good defender, even though his arms should allow him to be. Plays out of position too often, especially on defense, going for steals that his athleticisim won't allow him to make, hurting his team on their defensive rotations. Not a good on-the-ball defender. Lacks strength and stamina, especially late in games. (See also: Turnover ratio, 1st to 2nd half...) Good free-throw shooter, but doesn't get to the line NEARLY often enough. (He'd rather shoot a crazy-assed shot than draw the contact and go to the line, proving my next point.) Lacks the maturity to consistantly run an NBA offense.

Sound about right?

Yeah, I can live with my assessments of our players. Now, here's to hoping that they get into a good camp and are given a legit shot to try to do what they can do.

the_ouskull

GDC
6/30/2006, 01:08 PM
Skull, it's not that new threads don't get noticed, it's just you have to be part of certain cliques for them to get any play.

the_ouskull
6/30/2006, 02:09 PM
Oh well, I'm smart enough that I don't mind talking to myself. With all of the Whorns around here, I'm some of the only good company left. :D

the_ouskull

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/30/2006, 02:16 PM
This thread does have two of my favorite posters in it ;)
I am sorry I didn't post but usually these threads turn into bashing on our coaches and players and I usually just get frustrated. But yeah I think Terrell is going to be a really good European type player. I think that if Taj got in the right system he could play in the NBA...I think he can put some muscle on definetly.

GDC
6/30/2006, 03:12 PM
Oh well, I'm smart enough that I don't mind talking to myself. With all of the Whorns around here, I'm some of the only good company left. :D

the_ouskull

I need to talk to you about that other board some time.

GDC
6/30/2006, 03:13 PM
This thread does have two of my favorite posters in it ;)
I am sorry I didn't post but usually these threads turn into bashing on our coaches and players and I usually just get frustrated. But yeah I think Terrell is going to be a really good European type player. I think that if Taj got in the right system he could play in the NBA...I think he can put some muscle on definetly.

Same here, Gandalf, on all points.

stoopified
6/30/2006, 06:19 PM
Can't really argue your assessments.It does however beg the question,how DID we win 20 games?

GottaHavePride
6/30/2006, 07:57 PM
[Calvin Simpson Hater] We bored the other team into submission! [/ Calvin Simpson Hater]

;)

NormanPride
6/30/2006, 09:31 PM
Blame the coaches if you want, just like students can blame their schools and teachers for not getting them into Harvard.

Everybody has a responsibility to themselves. We can blame Kelvin for awhile, but 10 years from now, it will be the hard work that our alums put in on and off the court that will matter, not how much tie-jerking simpson did during their college careers

(this is badger, not np. Don't tell np)

SoonerDood
7/1/2006, 10:04 AM
(this is badger, not np. Don't tell np)
too late. he's reading it now.