PDA

View Full Version : I met Barry Switzer tonight.

sooner n houston
6/29/2006, 12:54 AM
I was going thru airport security tonight in Tulsa and the screener said "Barry would like that cap", refering to my OU cap. I said "huh"? He says "Barry Swirtzer just came thru here a few minutes ago, going to Houston".

So I walk on down the terminal toward my gate and as I pass one of the restaurant's I see Barry and his son and daughter sitting at the bar. He was fiddling with his cell phone so I waited till he put it down and then approached.

I introduced my self, shook his hand, and told him I was sorry to interupt his evening but would he mind signing my OU cap. He was very nice and said sure, got a pen? I handed him my pen and he asked how I was doing. Chatted briefly with him then went on my way.

I was standing in line at the Southwest gate when Barry and crew come over and got in line. So I board the plane and am sitting in my seat when he approaches. Someone kidded him about flying first class and he said "Yea, the A line, that's first class on SW isn't it"? Everyone laughed.

He then spots me and say's "Mark, If you lose that cap, you know it will come back to me, and I'm keeping it cause it's got my name on it!" People around us laughed and I told him "don't worry coach this cap is not getting lost! As soon as I get home I'm putting this baby in our Sooner room and locking it up!"

He laughed and moved on to his seat. During the flight he, and especially his son, were playing with a family of little kids that were sitting around them. Kept the whole front of the plane in stitches.

One of my best flight ever!

I took some pictures of them, I will post them tomorrow!

Boomer Sooner to all!

olevetonahill
6/29/2006, 01:00 AM
Sweet , cant wait to see em .

yermom
6/29/2006, 01:12 AM
much better story than seeing Josh Heupel at the movies this evening

SeattleOUstudent
6/29/2006, 07:39 AM
good stories!

hillcountrysooner
7/2/2006, 04:42 PM
still waiting on the pictures.

fadada1
7/2/2006, 05:04 PM
very cool. nice to see when these folks are nice to us peasants. met steve owens once... was very nice. just introduced myself and shook his hand.

cool story.

GDC
7/2/2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30864&highlight=josh+heupel+market

Sooner_Bob
7/2/2006, 05:10 PM
much better story than seeing Josh Heupel at the movies this evening

:confused:

yermom
7/2/2006, 08:21 PM
i saw him walk out of another movie when we were waiting to get into Superman Returns

that's it

it's not much of a story :P

SicEmBaylor
7/2/2006, 08:32 PM
I was on a plane once with former Secretary of Health and Human Services Governor Tommy Thompson. That's far less exciting.

Good going on the cap and way to pick a flight!

StoopTroup
7/2/2006, 08:45 PM
The King and his Family are very nice folks.

SoonerBorn68
7/2/2006, 08:54 PM
WTG SNH! Barry's a hoot. I got introduced the King at Opie's one night (I've known Opie for years) & got invited into a round table drink/story-a-thon with him, Bobby Proctor, Al, & Traber. Good times.

sooner n houston
7/3/2006, 07:42 AM
Sorry to say the pic's didn't turn out so well! My son and I both took pic's with our cell phones, not very good products from either of us.

Tear Down This Wall
7/3/2006, 11:02 AM
WTG SNH! Barry's a hoot. I got introduced the King at Opie's one night (I've known Opie for years) & got invited into a round table drink/story-a-thon with him, Bobby Proctor, Al, & Traber. Good times.

Bobby Proctor f'n rules! Gary Gibbs did the whole Sooner Nation a disservice by firing him. Nothing like old clips of Switzer and Proctor smoking cigarettes on the sidelines back in the day.

fadada1
7/3/2006, 05:26 PM
Bobby Proctor f'n rules! Gary Gibbs did the whole Sooner Nation a disservice by firing him. Nothing like old clips of Switzer and Proctor smoking cigarettes on the sidelines back in the day.
it was amazing how you could hear proctor cussing at someone over 75,000 fans. dude would get mad... i know that much.

Salt City Sooner
7/3/2006, 05:35 PM
it was amazing how you could hear proctor cussing at someone over 75,000 fans. dude would get mad... i know that much.
That imitation of Proctor by Jason Belser that TBS showed at halftime of the '91 Gator Bowl was HILARIOUS.