PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Worth-Dallas Peeps

Taxman71
6/28/2006, 08:52 AM
I will be driving the family to Austin on Friday (don't ask) and usually take I-35 West through Ft. Worth to save an hour. I have heard that there is construction that is slowing that route down quite a bit.

Any of you locals know if this is true and, if so, a good escape route? I will be passing through the area at the ideal time (5:00 - 5:30 p.m.) on Friday. TIA

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2006, 08:53 AM
there's construction on 35E as well, its a pick your poison type thing......if i'm coming from up north, i'd probably take the route thru fort worth

colleyvillesooner
6/28/2006, 09:10 AM
Ditto. Even if there is traffic, there will be less people going that way than 35E.

Take the Fort Worth route.

Or just don't go to Austin. :D

Howzit
6/28/2006, 09:17 AM
3 votes for 35W. Approaching downtown on 35E anytime after about 3:00 pm on a Friday is not good.

<edit> It sounds like you understand that 35W is also not going to be good...it's probably just less not good than 35E.

SeattleOUstudent
6/28/2006, 09:21 AM
FTW is always the wiser choice! Plus, it will save you like 15 miles.

BeetDigger
6/28/2006, 09:22 AM
I will be passing through the area at the ideal time (5:00 - 5:30 p.m.) on Friday. TIA

Pack at least four videos, just in case. I hear that Blazing Saddles is on sale for $5.99 at Best Buy. If the kids haven't seen it before, this trip should be an ideal time to introduce them to the classic.

1stTimeCaller
6/28/2006, 09:23 AM
35W all the way. There is some construction south of FW that will slow you down a little bit.

Sooner24
6/28/2006, 09:25 AM
Boy 35W at Ft Worth sucks. I have driven south through FW on weekends and the traffic comes to a dead stop. There is one spot where traffic is merging from the east and people are trying to exit towards downton. The only problem is I don't know of any quicker way to get around it. But 35W is way better then 35E by far.

Sooner24
6/28/2006, 09:26 AM
Pack at least four videos, just in case. I hear that Blazing Saddles is on sale for $5.99 at Best Buy. If the kids haven't seen it before, this trip should be an ideal time to introduce them to the classic.

Plus their portable DVD players are discounted $15. :D

colleyvillesooner
6/28/2006, 09:27 AM
Boy 35W at Ft Worth sucks. I have driven south through FW on weekends and the traffic comes to a dead stop. There is one spot where traffic is merging from the east and people are trying to exit towards downton. The only problem is I don't know of any quicker way to get around it. But 35W is way better then 35E by far.

Yep, that's the 121 interchange. But not nearly as bad as the cluster **** known as the I-45, I-35, I-30 interchange in Dallas.

Sooner24
6/28/2006, 09:32 AM
I will be driving the family to Austin on Friday (don't ask) and usually take I-35 West through Ft. Worth to save an hour. I have heard that there is construction that is slowing that route down quite a bit.

Any of you locals know if this is true and, if so, a good escape route? I will be passing through the area at the ideal time (5:00 - 5:30 p.m.) on Friday. TIA

The traffic going through FW will just get you prepared for the mess you will be getting into at Austin. Just consider it good training.

Howzit
6/28/2006, 09:36 AM

Abandon ye all hope...

crawfish
6/28/2006, 09:43 AM
Take the FW route.

Of course, you'll still have to deal with Austin. A few weeks ago when returning from San Antonio, I thought I'd finally get through Austin ok because it was 11:00 at night. Silly me, they had half of I-35 down to one-lane for nighttime repairs, and one area where they shut ALL lanes down for an hour (fortunately, I exited and took the access road).

There is NO good time to go through Austin, obviously, though as an OU fan I already realized that. :)

Taxman71
6/28/2006, 09:52 AM
We will be eating in Ft Worth around rush hour time so I am not too concerned about what traffic is like south of there. Also, won't be in Austin until Saturday morning since we are stopping in Waco for a night.

And, yes, the portable DVD is already stocked with Wiggles, Disney and about 30 episodes of Spongebob. Please pray for me.

Taxman71
6/28/2006, 09:54 AM

I already use the phrase Excuse me while I whip this out daily without anyone in my household having a clue what I mean. However, I think Spaceballs might be a better intro to Brooks. Plus, I might get some helmet when it gets dark outside.:D