PDA

View Full Version : Semper Fi Devil Dog

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 07:38 AM
Sgt. Rafael Peralta

http://patriotfiles.org/images/SGTRafaelPeralta.jpg

"It's stuff you hear about in boot camp, about World War II and Tarawa Marines who won the Medal of Honor," Lance Cpl. Rob Rogers of the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment told the Army Times. Cpl. Rogers was describing the actions of his fellow Marine, Sgt. Rafael Peralta, a Mexican immigrant who enlisted in the Marine Corps the day he received his green card.
Most readers of this column probably haven't heard about Rafael Peralta. With the exception of the Los Angeles Times, most of our mainstream media haven't bothered to write about him. The next time you log onto the Internet, do a Google search on Rafael Peralta. As of this writing, the Internet's most used search engine will provide you only 26 citations from news sources that have bothered to write about this heroic young man. Then, just for giggles, do a Google search on Pablo Paredes. Hundreds of media outlets have written about him. The wire services have blasted his story to thousands of newspapers. Television and radio debate programs gladly provide the public with talking heads that can speak eloquently on the actions of Pablo Paredes.
You see, Pablo Paredes, a Navy petty officer 3rd class, did something the liberal elites consider "heroic" and the media consider "newsworthy" - he defied an order. Last week, Petty Officer Paredes refused to board his ship bound for Iraq along with 5,000 other sailors and Marines. He showed up on the pier wearing a black T-shirt that read, "Like a Cabinet member, I resign."
We know this because Petty Officer Pablo Paredes had the courtesy and forethought to notify the local media he would commit an act of cowardice the following day. Perhaps he hoped to follow the lead of another famous war protester who went on to become a U.S. senator and his party's presidential nominee by throwing away his military medals.
Petty Officer Paredes stopped short of trashing his military I.D. in front of the cameras because he said he didn't want to be charged with destroying government property. The media, we are promised, will continue to follow this story intently.
It is a shame the media focus on such acts when they could tell stories about real-heroes like Rafael Peralta who "saved the life of my son and every Marine in that room," according to Garry Morrison the father of a Marine in Sgt. Peralta's unit - Lance Cpl. Adam Morrison.</STRONG>
On the morning of Nov. 15, the men of 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines awoke before sunrise and continued what they had done seven days previously - cleansing the city of Fallujah of terrorists house by house.
At the fourth house they encountered that morning, the Marines kicked in the door and "cleared" the front rooms, but then noticed a locked door off to the side that required inspection. Sgt. Rafael Peralta threw open the closed door, but behind it were three terrorists with AK-47s. Peralta was hit in the head and chest with multiple shots at close range. </STRONG>
Peralta's fellow Marines had to step over his body to continue the shootout with the terrorists. As the firefight raged, a "yellow, foreign-made, oval-shaped grenade," as Lance Cpl. Travis Kaemmerer described it, rolled into the room where they stood and stopped near Peralta's body.
But Sgt. Rafael Peralta wasn't dead - yet. This young immigrant of 25 years, who enlisted in the Marines when he received his green card, who volunteered for front-line duty in Fallujah, had one last act of heroism in him. </STRONG>
Sgt. Rafael Peralta was the polar opposite of Pablo Paredes, the petty officer who turned his back on his shipmates and mocked his commander in chief. Peralta was proud to serve his adopted country. In his parent's home, on his bedroom walls hanged only three items - a copy of the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights and his boot camp graduation certificate. Before he set out for Fallujah, he wrote to his 14-year-old brother, "Be proud of me, bro ... and be proud of being an American.">
Not only can Rafael's family be proud of him, but his fellow Marines are alive because of him. As Sgt. Rafael Peralta lay near death on the floor of a Fallujah terrorist hideout, he spotted the yellow grenade that rolled next to his near-lifeless body. Once detonated, it would take out the rest of Peralta's squad. To save his fellow Marines, Peralta reached out, grabbed the grenade, and tucked it under his abdomen where it exploded.
"Most of the Marines in the house were in the immediate area of the grenade," Cpl. Kaemmerer said. "We will never forget the second chance at life that Sgt. Peralta gave us."
Unfortunately, unlike Pablo Paredes, Sgt. Rafael Peralta will get little media coverage. He is unlikely to have books written about him or movies made about his extraordinarily selfless sacrifice. But he is likely to receive the Medal of Honor. And that Medal of Honor is likely to be displayed next to the only items that hung on his bedroom wall - the Constitution, Bill of Rights and his Boot Camp graduation certificate. </STRONG>
Yes, Virginia, there are still heroes in America, and Sgt. Rafael Peralta was one of them. It's just too bad the media can't recognize them.
Sgt. Rafael Peralta</STRONG> has been nominated for the nation's highest honor: the Medal of Honor.

yermom
6/28/2006, 07:43 AM
that is some training they put you guys through

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2006, 07:49 AM
SALUTE!

nice work Gunny.....god bless troops like Rafael Peralta, and all of them who face the natural fear of going into a combat zone and actually overcoming it

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 07:58 AM
SALUTE!

nice work Gunny.....god bless troops like Rafael Peralta, and all of them who face the natural fear of going into a combat zone and actually overcoming itRight back @ yah Chief...It is too damn bad more people don't know about how unselfish troops like Sgt Peralta are. These are GREAT AMERICANS!!!! Fu*k political affiliation. They are GREAT AMERICANS and shame on the press for not finding more stories like this.

God Bless our troops.
http://patriotfiles.org/images/ST_appreciateourtroops.jpg

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2006, 08:01 AM
yep, but hey...you know, we should applaud a young man for standing up for what he believes is right, even when it means he's a coward :rolleyes:

SoonerStormchaser
6/28/2006, 08:03 AM
Salute to him and everyone else who put on the uniform...excluding John Kerry...

yermom
6/28/2006, 08:04 AM
i'm not sure why standing up for what you believe in makes you a coward

i'm guessing you don't believe said sailor's reason for not following his orders?

Vaevictis
6/28/2006, 08:06 AM
How about we all take the high road on this one, and give the dude the props he deserves instead of threadjacking this thing into the ****fest that every other thread seems to decend into?

SoonerStormchaser
6/28/2006, 08:08 AM
You sign up for the military FULLY KNOWING you're gonna be sent into harms way and possibly DIE FOR YOUR COUNTRY.

If you have a change of heart later...TOO DAMN BAD!!!

I'm headed to Air Force OTS in another week...fully knowing that when I leave Oklahoma on July 9th, it could be the last time I ever set foot here...fully knowing that I might be ordered to die for my country. And I will follow that order to the letter if it is ever given!

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 08:14 AM
LEAVE YOUR POLITICS in other threads...This is for our brave and UNSELFISH HERO!!!

yermom
6/28/2006, 08:17 AM
well to be fair, the article is a bit political...

just for clarity, i was NOT belittling The Corps with my initial response to the thread, there was no sarcasm intended

jk the sooner fan
6/28/2006, 08:23 AM
to quickly answer yermom's question.........the war has been on going for nearly 4 years......if you're so objected to it, why wait till right before you're supposed to deply to do it?

so he objects to the war yet remains on active duty the entire time, collecting pay and benefits, and when he's asked to serve in harms way, he stomps his feet

sniff sniff, smells like a coward to me....

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 08:28 AM
well to be fair, the article is a bit political...

just for clarity, i was NOT belittling The Corps with my initial response to the thread, there was no sarcasm intendedOK...the article is a bit political.

Like JK said...the squid is a worthless piece of dog$hit...the wants the money and the benefits that come from serving in our beloved armed forces. If you want the pay and the training...which you are going to use to better yourself...then you had better follow your brothers and sisters into combat. Pure and simple he is a p*$$y!

UNLIKE the main focus of the article.

yermom
6/28/2006, 08:34 AM
he had already been there for a year once, right? i can see the ethical problems with continuing to recieve benefits for being in the military if he doesn't believe in what they are doing, but i'd say he deserves something for that. of course he is also then prolonging his time before he goes to the brig or whatever.

if he is simply afraid of going back into combat, then yeah, i agree he is acting shady bringing the media circus with him

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 09:02 AM
he had already been there for a year once, right? i can see the ethical problems with continuing to recieve benefits for being in the military if he doesn't believe in what they are doing, but i'd say he deserves something for that. of course he is also then prolonging his time before he goes to the brig or whatever.

if he is simply afraid of going back into combat, then yeah, i agree he is acting shady bringing the media circus with him
No...He was in Japan for sometime and this is where he started his anti-war beliefs.

In 2000, Paredes was working two jobs and attending college but he still couldn't afford his tuition. He considered getting a third job but, on his military recruiters' promises of educational opportunities, he opted to join the Navy instead.
Two years later, he went to Japan where he met people outside the military who spoke critically about US military interventions. Paredes had not given much thought to political issues before; the Navy was simply a job for him.
"It pushed me to get very educated as far as political ramifications of the military, especially as a Latino," Paredes said. "It was a birth of a different identity for me." By the time he returned to the United States in 2004, Paredes was wrestling with his participation in the military and his moral opposition to all war. To avoid any involvement with the Iraq war, he unsuccessfully tried to switch jobs to work as a military police officer, checking Identifications stateside.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/28/2006, 09:48 AM
I can't believe this story is nearly two years old.

picasso
6/28/2006, 09:54 AM
I can't believe this story is nearly two years old.
all you see and hear in the news is the daily casualty list.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/28/2006, 10:02 AM
all you see and hear in the news is the daily casualty list.

or that traitor who refuses to ship off.:mad: . . . and is being called "a patriot" for doing so.

usmc-sooner
6/28/2006, 10:26 AM
Semper Fi

yermom
6/28/2006, 10:29 AM
No...He was in Japan for sometime and this is where he started his anti-war beliefs.

i must have been thinking of someone else...

still being opposed to war isn't really the same as being a coward

calling him a "patriot" sounds like a bit of a stretch :rolleyes:

Sooner in Tampa
6/28/2006, 12:27 PM
all you see and hear in the news is the daily casualty list.Pic...this is my point. To bring to light one of our heros. The selfless acts that are not brought up when all that is reported is the casualty list. I just wanted to spotlight good news.