PDA

View Full Version : Truck driver says to four wheelers...

Jerk
6/27/2006, 08:47 PM
-I don't mind you passing me. My 80,000 pound semi can't keep up with your Honda Civic. But for the love of God and all that is holy, after you pass me....KEEP GOING! Don't slow down!! This happens to me over and over and over again all day (people slow down after they pass me) I'm so tired of it. It's going to drive me into alcoholism. Sure I can go 80mph on the pike, but do you realize it takes me 2 or 3 minutes to get up to that speed? Sometimes it takes several miles to recover my speed after just taking my foot off the accelerater (this is why trucks suddenly switch lanes in front of you to pass someone- I try not to do this - they don't want to lose their momentum by getting cut off and having to hit their brakes)

I don't know why people do this to me all the time. They also speed up when i begin to pass them, which can create all sorts of problems.

Mini vans give me more hassle than anything else. I have no idea why. And old people don't know why I pass them going down hill and they pass me going up hill. Uhhh...it's probably that 26 tons of powder in the back

opksooner
6/27/2006, 08:51 PM
Stay safe out there, Jerk, and............keep the greasy side down.

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 08:55 PM
And why do those truck drivers whip out, in the passing lane, and drive side by side with another truck, going 60 mph, on the interstate for five or six miles, holding up traffic for ten minutes?

picasso
6/27/2006, 08:56 PM
c'mon back and talk, ta teddy bear...

Hoosier Dynasty
6/27/2006, 08:57 PM
Jerk, people do that to everybody all the time, no matter what you're driving. I don't understand it! People will pass you like you're standing still, only to cut in front of you and sit one car length ahead.:rolleyes:

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 08:58 PM
Gitty Up Go Good Buddy!!!

Jerk
6/27/2006, 08:59 PM
And why do those truck drivers whip out, in the passing lane, and drive side by side with another truck, going 60 mph, on the interstate for five or six miles, holding up traffic for ten minutes?

I don't like that either. But I have the luxary of a truck that is governed at 95mph. My last truck wasn't governed at all)

Usually happens when you have one truck governed at 68 mph, and another governed at 65 mph, but the fast truck has a bigger load and slows down on hills more. So faster truck tries to pass slower truck, but the next hill (and it can be a slight upgrade that you normally wouldn't notice) slows the faster truck down more than the slower truck, so the slower truck catches up. Then they crest the hill and the faster truck tries to overtake the slower truck again. If he can't do it by the next hill, the process repeates, and people start getting very angry.

yermom
don't worry Jerk, if i pass you, i'm gone :P

i hate driving near you guys

Sooner24
Ya gottcha ears on good buddy? Over.

Jerk

That's the way to do it.

SicEmBaylor
6/27/2006, 09:00 PM
Truck drivers are invaluable.

I always drive like a bat out of hell. I've had so many speeding tickets that the state of Oklahoma has literally threatened to revoke my license.

My mode operendi (sic) is something like this...
I wait for some other car to pass that is going faster than even I am. I then speed up and then use them as "cover" for any traffic cops. If I see them slow down because of a cop or think one is near then I slow down and "hide" behind a semi.

Thanks Jerk!

Harry Beanbag
6/27/2006, 09:01 PM
People think they are more important than any other human being and are completely oblivious to anybody else's wants, needs, wishes, or presence. This character flaw is increased exponentially when they are behind the wheel of a moving vehicle with one hand on the radio controls and the other holding a phone to their ear.

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 09:01 PM
That was not directed at you Jerk. Just the "jerks" that do it. ;)

Hoosier Dynasty
6/27/2006, 09:02 PM

I concur:D

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 09:04 PM
http://media.movieweb.com/news/old/02_04/bandit.jpg

picasso
6/27/2006, 09:05 PM
I'll pass a tractor trailer if I have to go 90 to do so.

don't weep for Jerk, they still own the road. especially on I-40 way out west.

Jerk
6/27/2006, 09:06 PM
That was not directed at you Jerk. Just the "jerks" that do it. ;)

Don't worry, I understand. It makes me mad, too. I finally got on the radio a few weeks ago and told a guy who was doing that "Look, this has gone on long enough! Have you seen how much traffic is backed up behind you?" LOL that was the first time I had ever done that in 3.5 years of trucking. The two trucks were side by side in a 75mph zone for about a 10 miles stretch, and they were going around 65mph...if that.

I might do it myself, but it will only last until the next downhill slope. At most you'll have to be patient as I get up the hill.. It's over when I get going down.

yermom
6/27/2006, 09:07 PM

that's basically my method as well...

StoopTroup
6/27/2006, 09:10 PM
http://www.washtimesherald.com/portal_assets/images_sizedimage_279115052/lg

Jerk
6/27/2006, 09:11 PM

You'll have to go over 80mph to get by me, but most people don't seem to have a hard time doing it.

We have a truck in our inventory that will do 125 mph, but it's not mine. 15 forward gears and a 500 HP cat!

Mine was hooked up to a computer at Peterbilt and they discovered that it had been up to 126 mph...TWICE...and that's when they governed it at 75mph. Then that driver left, and the next driver some how got someone to re-set it to 95mph.....he recently got a new truck, so I get this one. I got it to 95mph on 412 last week north of Stillwater. Only time I've ever done it...I guess I got bored. I told a friend about it on the phone, wife was listening, and got very disturbed and upset, made me promise to never do it again. Blow a steering tire while doing this and it's kiss your a** goodbye. I was the only one for miles- road all to myself. I had an opportunity and I took it.

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 09:12 PM

Is that Norm standing next to the fireman looking over his smashed car? :eddie:

Boarder
6/27/2006, 09:14 PM
People do that because they have no idea about what a pain it is to you. I have never driven an 18=wheeler, but I have pulled a heavy trailer behind the truck. People have no idea how much different you have to drive.

It is like a lot of things, people do not understand what goes on until they have to do it themselves.

picasso
6/27/2006, 09:16 PM
You'll have to go over 80mph to get by me, but most people don't seem to have a hard time doing it.

We have a truck in our inventory that will do 125 mph, but it's not mine. 15 forward gears and a 500 HP cat!

Mine was hooked up to a computer at Peterbilt and they discovered that it had been up to 126 mph...TWICE...and that's when they governed it at 75mph. Then that driver left, and the next driver some how go someone to re-set it to 95mph.....he recently got a new truck, so I get this one. I got it to 95mph on 412 last week north of Stillwater. Only time I've ever done it...I guess I got bored. I told a friend about it on the phone, wife was listening, and got very disturbed and upset, made me promise to never do it again. Blow a steering tire while doing this and it's kiss your a** goodbye. I was the only one for miles- road all to myself. I had an opportunity and I took it.

ever been to that huge truck stop near Gallup? I'll never forget stopping there when I was in art school. restaurant, showers, moive theatre. saweet.

OUHOMER
6/27/2006, 09:17 PM
my aunt was driving to ardmore and pulled that BS on some trucks. they blocked her in, 1 in front, 1 in back and one on the side of her.. Took her all the way to Denton.. she could'nt figure it out. I had to explain trucks and hills to here with trucks. She thought her cruise control was cool, now she wont use it.. LOL

Hoosier Dynasty
6/27/2006, 09:19 PM
People do that because they have no idea about what a pain it is to you. I have never driven an 18=wheeler, but I have pulled a heavy trailer behind the truck. People have no idea how much different you have to drive.

It is like a lot of things, people do not understand what goes on until they have to do it themselves.

I've driven a 36 foot Pace Arrow and it's a b#@% to get back up to speed when some #@%le pulls one of those moves.

Sooner24
6/27/2006, 09:19 PM
ever been to that huge truck stop near Gallup? I'll never forget stopping there when I was in art school. restaurant, showers, moive theatre. saweet.

Ladies of the night??? :eek:

JohnnyMack
6/27/2006, 09:38 PM
The way I see it, everything you own you have because a truck brought it to you. Be it your car, your toothpaste, your DVD player, whatever it is, at some point a truck brought it a little bit closer to you. So I always try and remember that and cut 'em some slack. That and the older I get the less important driving like a jacksmoke has become.

OCUDad
6/27/2006, 10:02 PM
It's going to drive me into alcoholism.Pfft. Like you needed an excuse. :D

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2006, 10:06 PM
OK, I'm going to say this right now:

It would scare the bejesus out of me to have one of those damn things up to 125. I didn't like it when I got a RICE ROCKET to 125.

TopDaugIn2000
6/27/2006, 10:12 PM
I stay far away now. for obvious reasons.
http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/7106/im0018362nf.jpg

GottaHavePride
6/27/2006, 11:43 PM

I remember one year I saw a tractor-trailer that had a5sploded on my way to OU/TX. I don't know what it hit (I think someone said head-on with a minivan but I don't believe it) but there was nothing left of the trailer except a couple of bent vertical pieces of metal where the corners of the trailer were. The cab looked like Optimus Prime had got ****ed off and stepped on the front of the truck. Flat as a pancake, about as tall as a Honda. Oh, and the whole thing was black and smoking.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/28/2006, 09:50 AM
I remember one year I saw a tractor-trailer that had a5sploded on my way to OU/TX. I don't know what it hit (I think someone said head-on with a minivan but I don't believe it) but there was nothing left of the trailer except a couple of bent vertical pieces of metal where the corners of the trailer were. The cab looked like Optimus Prime had got ****ed off and stepped on the front of the truck. Flat as a pancake, about as tall as a Honda. Oh, and the whole thing was black and smoking.
:D

crawfish
6/28/2006, 09:58 AM
Those idiots don't just do it to semi's...they like annoying the rest of us, too.

Why the ^#%$ would somebody who wants to drive 70 drive 80 to pass somebody doing 75? Makes no sense to me.

NormanPride
6/28/2006, 10:06 AM
I love driving around the big guys. I use them as blockers to shed off annoying people and avoid the crazies. If at all possible, I try and prevent people from passing them on the inside so they can get back over. I also try to prevent people from passing when they need to get over to avoid something. I realized long ago that truck drivers to most everything for a very good reason - because it's too much of a pain in the *** to drive any other way in those huge things.

49r
6/28/2006, 11:55 AM
c'mon guys....we *all* know it's a race out there! First one there wins! Wheeeeeee!

:rolleyes: