PDA

View Full Version : Played some golf today

Newbomb Turk
6/27/2006, 03:20 PM
The wife is out of town all week for the BIL's funeral. Jr. & I stayed home, and he wanted to go play golf.

We played 9 holes at Brookside. It's not exactly Pebble Beach, but it's golf.

IB4OU2
6/27/2006, 03:23 PM
The wife is out of town all week for the BIL's funeral. Jr. & I stayed home, and he wanted to go play golf.

We played 9 holes at Brookside. It's not exactly Pebble Beach, but it's golf.

I've played there before, good place to take a kid.

Newbomb Turk
6/27/2006, 03:25 PM
I've played there before, good place to take a kid.

absolutely. That's the reason we went there. And no tee times - just walk up and play.

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 03:29 PM
i've played brookside several times in high school...for kicks. it's still in business, so they must be doing something right. 9's kind of a fun little par 3, as i recall. there used to be a semi-decent mexican place right south on shields...and when i frist got my driver's license me and a buddy used to go up and play 9 after Jr. High and have enchiladas....before heading back to Norman.

Newbomb Turk
6/27/2006, 03:35 PM
Yep - Brookside is still kickin. I think it is Duffy Martin's first course. It's in decent shape - the greens are pretty good. They still have two holes cut on each green, so when you pull the pin you move it to the other hole.

I have no idea of that Messican place is there or not. I'm not a southsider.

We had fun - the kiddo got a kick out the 8th hole. Par 5 with a pond in front of the green. He skipped a shot over the water and it ended up just in front of the green. :)

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 03:47 PM
Yep - Brookside is still kickin. I think it is Duffy Martin's first course. It's in decent shape - the greens are pretty good. They still have two holes cut on each green, so when you pull the pin you move it to the other hole.

I have no idea of that Messican place is there or not. I'm not a southsider.

We had fun - the kiddo got a kick out the 8th hole. Par 5 with a pond in front of the green. He skipped a shot over the water and it ended up just in front of the green. :)

that's awesome about the skip. isn't there also a pond on maybe 5 or 6? a hole that plays north and doglegs west (curves may be more accurate) around a stand of trees and maybe a pond. i don't think the mexican place is there anymore. it may have not even been very good, who knows? i've taken Shields from Will Rogers a few times over the years and don't remember seeing it.

Newbomb Turk
6/27/2006, 03:52 PM
5 is a dogleg left that starts north and doglegs to the west. There is a pond to the left of the green but it's not in play (for any decent golfer).

6 is a par 3 where you hit over part of that pond. Kiddo got lucky on that hole and pushed hit tee shot way to the right - where the pond wasn't.

Tiptonsooner
6/27/2006, 05:58 PM
I played River Bend today, was a beautiful day for golf.