PDA

View Full Version : The Flaming Lips and Pete Townsend

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 12:22 PM
You'll need Real Player for this. A couple of days ago, the Lips played the Leeds Wireless Festival with The Who as headliner, the Lips second on the bill. Pete Townsend's girlfriend does a regular webcast TV show called "The Attic," generally from his studio. During the festival, they did the show from there. Think SNL's Wayne's World with Townsend as a co-host.

Most Lips fans probably know that music from The Who was integral in the development of the Lips as a band. Wayne specifically has talked about how much the working class rocker thing influenced him personally. The Lips have played music by The Who in the past, and have also performed with them.

Anyway, the Lips get to rap with Townsend and Rachel for about a half hour, and perform an incredible, acoustic, piano-only cover of Can't Explain. And yes, Wayne's voice is warbly sometimes. Get over it.

It's really quite entertaining and funny. If you only want to see the Lips' part, start at nine minutes in.

As you listen to the cover, imagine how intimidating it must have been to perform that song, radically changed, acoustically, in that tiny space, with Townsend sitting two feet away and singing backup.

Pure awesomeness (http://mfile.akamai.com/25795/rm/creativetank.download.akamai.com/25795/real.creativetank/archive/ITA_LEEDS_25_06_2006_Upload.ram).

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 12:32 PM
You coward one-star anonymous thread-rater.

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 01:17 PM
BTW, most people know of my Lips obsession, but most of you probably don't know that The Who is one of my all-time favorite bands, too.

Yes, I'll admit it: my pants did tighten up a bit while watching.

Jimminy Crimson
6/27/2006, 01:21 PM
Yes, I'll admit it: my pants did tighten up a bit while watching.

That's what she said.

sooneron
6/27/2006, 01:24 PM
I would like to stab someone's eyes with cocktail forks for making this only avail thru real playa. suckage

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/27/2006, 01:26 PM
Neat.

King Crimson
6/27/2006, 03:00 PM
i look foward to watching that when i get home.

can't explain is one of my earliest "favorite songs". i'm guessing jimmy page doesn't play the solo this time.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/27/2006, 03:12 PM
You know that guitar player for the Lips that disappeared, like 10 years ago and never came back? He was in some of my engineering classes at OU.

He would come into class about 10 minutes late with his headphones blaring and just sit down like it was nothing. Was hilarious.

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 04:54 PM
Was it this guy?

http://www.flaminglips.com/media/band/people/rogues/RonaldJones.gif

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/27/2006, 04:57 PM
yup.
He wore a big army coat.

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 05:03 PM
It was probably to shield himself from the invisible demons that tormented him.

VeeJay
6/27/2006, 06:14 PM
Pete has a girlfriend?

yermom
6/27/2006, 06:20 PM
yeah, i thought he was pederast ;)

eight year olds dude.

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 06:39 PM
Well, his girlfriend is about 30 years younger than he is. That's gotta count for something.

BigRedJed
6/27/2006, 11:35 PM
If you take the time to watch this thing, stick around after the Lips' part. They show a replay of an earlier episode where Martha Wainwright does the show and they play Factory together. It kicks all kinds of ***. I think I'm going to start watching these webcasts on a regular basis.

BigRedJed
9/30/2006, 10:57 AM
The Lips were back on ITA last week, at a festival in Baltimore from earlier in the month, where they shared the bill with the Who again. This time they played Baba O'Riley, with Pete. Steven glommed onto Pete's twelve string, sortof ballsy-like. I wasn't sure if Pete was ****ed or not at first when he walked in and Steven was playing on what he said is one of his favorite twelve strings ever.

Interesting interview, also. Plus, Wayne reveals they've been comissioned to do a song for the new Shrek movie and talks about Christmas on Mars.

Click on the "ITA from Virgin Festival, Baltimore" link (http://www.intheattic.tv/watch/).

Also on the episode, Jack White.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2008, 02:15 PM
movie and talks about Christmas on Mars.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/christmasonmarstheflaminglips/

Scott D
10/10/2008, 02:57 PM
a title with Flaming and Pete Townsend in it makes me snicker.

crawfish
10/10/2008, 04:15 PM
I thought Townshend was gay...

Frozen Sooner
10/10/2008, 04:34 PM
Well, his girlfriend is about 30 years younger than he is. That's gotta count for something.

Which makes her about the same age as Stormchaser's wife, I guess.

def_lazer_fc
10/11/2008, 12:36 AM
its gotta be intimidating playing that in front of him. especially since pete is well known for being a complete dick.