PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns

mrowl
6/27/2006, 06:05 AM
I am so IN that I may have to hit up the 10pm show tonight.

rock.

Hatfield
6/27/2006, 08:27 AM
please to explain this 10pm show that is tonight?

and as far as the superman continuum goes...this one acts like III and IV never happened. Takes up after II

mrowl
6/27/2006, 08:41 AM
there is a showing tonight at 10pm at several theaters around DFW.

Hatfield
6/27/2006, 08:48 AM
nebermind...got a soccer game at 9...so i might have to just catch it first thing in the morn

Scott D
6/27/2006, 09:36 AM

and as far as the superman continuum goes...this one acts like III and IV never happened. Takes up after II

III and IV never happened, they are figments of your imagination....the same with Highlander 2: The Quickening.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/27/2006, 10:23 AM
Highlander>Supergheyman

Hatfield
6/27/2006, 10:47 AM
favorite part of highlander 3 was that it completely ignored highlander 2.

how that movie was ever made is beyond me

NormanPride
6/27/2006, 11:02 AM
This movie had better not suck.

Hatfield
6/27/2006, 11:04 AM

truer words were never spoken

White House Boy
6/27/2006, 11:04 AM
If it does, Dolemite may bite a bullet.

GDC
6/27/2006, 01:45 PM
DC comics suck

NormanPride
6/27/2006, 01:55 PM
DC comics suck

I can't really tell which is which, honestly... I know Justice League is DC and the X-Men are Marvel... but beyond that I'm not sure. Green Lantern is neat, as is Iron Man... aren't those both DC?

GDC
6/27/2006, 02:06 PM
I can't really tell which is which, honestly... I know Justice League is DC and the X-Men are Marvel... but beyond that I'm not sure. Green Lantern is neat, as is Iron Man... aren't those both DC?

Iron Man is Marvel, but I always liked Green Lantern the best of the DC characters.

RacerX
6/29/2006, 09:08 PM
http://yirmumah.net/strips/superman20060627.gif

picasso
6/29/2006, 09:10 PM
I heard it sucked thoroughly and the dude was just Chris Reeves as Clark Kent.

yermom
6/29/2006, 10:12 PM
i got a VERY strong Chris Reeves vibe

the music and titles at the beginning was creepily similar to the Christopher Reeves flicks, it was kinda cool at first, but it kinda got to me

tulsaoilerfan
6/29/2006, 10:46 PM

Considering how bad they were, that's a pretty good idea IMO

yermom
6/29/2006, 11:34 PM
without Superman III there is no Office Space :D

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2006, 11:37 PM
I thought that was part of II, not III.

yermom
6/29/2006, 11:39 PM
what part are you thinking about?

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2006, 11:45 PM
Never mind, you were right. I'm assuming you're talking about the taking pennies from the jar concept.

yermom
6/29/2006, 11:50 PM
yeah

me, i like to take my pennies to the bank ;)

GottaHavePride
6/30/2006, 12:12 AM
Speakin of bad sequels, the Godfather Part 3 was on AMC the other night. WTF? I thought Part 3 was supposed to be one of the most horrible bad movies ever made. Why was it on AMC?

King Crimson
6/30/2006, 12:27 AM
Speakin of bad sequels, the Godfather Part 3 was on AMC the other night. WTF? I thought Part 3 was supposed to be one of the most horrible bad movies ever made. Why was it on AMC?

that's not a sequel, that's a threequel. c'mon?

scene where Andy Garcia is making gnocchi on the marble pasta table top is worth checking out (right before he and cousin Sofia C. start macking out). food wise.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/30/2006, 02:17 AM

Is General Zod in this new version and who plays him? Don't think he would be quite as good as Terence Stamp in the original.
Or is Kevin Spacey Lex Luthor acting like General Zod?

Octavian
6/30/2006, 03:48 AM
i got a VERY strong Chris Reeves vibe

the music and titles at the beginning was creepily similar to the Christopher Reeves flicks, it was kinda cool at first, but it kinda got to me

Yep. It was 80s.

I didnt research anything about it so I didnt have a clue as to what was gonna happen...

When he said:

Flying is still the safest mode of travel statistically...

I knew this wasn't going to be like Batman Begins.

GottaHavePride
7/2/2006, 01:07 PM
that's not a sequel, that's a threequel. c'mon?

scene where Andy Garcia is making gnocchi on the marble pasta table top is worth checking out (right before he and cousin Sofia C. start macking out). food wise.

Along those lines, check out "Big Night" with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub. They run a restaurant and one scene is an entire long shot of the two of them in a kitchen and one of them makes an omelette and the other one eats it. Continuous shot, a TON of lines, and obviously the omelette was edible. Good movie for the cooking.

Oh, and a friend of mine said this movie totally rocked - even his 4-year-old kid didn't say a word. Although he said he was forced to buy the kid a Superman costume immediately after watching the movie.

Hatfield
7/2/2006, 01:54 PM
i really wasn't that impressed. (however i was hella tired and almost fell asleep 3 times...through no fault of the movie)

the pacing was awkward (thought the movie didn't have a good flow) and it just didn't feel like anyone was the main character.

might have to give it a second viewing but thought it was very lackluster. The action scenes were great but just not a lot else going on.

Ruuuuuufus
7/2/2006, 04:52 PM
if you get a chance check it out at the imax. I was kinda skeptical at first but the 3d parts were pretty well done.

My Opinion Matters
7/2/2006, 06:53 PM
It wasn't very good. It's inherently flawed though, Superman just isn't a very interesting character.

King Crimson
7/2/2006, 07:41 PM
Along those lines, check out "Big Night" with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub. They run a restaurant and one scene is an entire long shot of the two of them in a kitchen and one of them makes an omelette and the other one eats it. Continuous shot, a TON of lines, and obviously the omelette was edible. Good movie for the cooking.

the best restaurant related scene in Big Night is when the dumbasses send back the seafood risotto and Primo goes nuts. i've seen that scene with my own eyes.....live and in person. and with someone far more dangerous.

the making of the "timballo" is really cool, as well.

the last part of Babette's Feast is mos def worth seeing. good food stuff.

there's a Spanish film called Vengo which is excellent...and some pretty cool paella scenes.

AllAboutThe'O'
7/2/2006, 09:11 PM

I watched that movie a couple of years ago; I was under the impression that it was going to be a comedy but it turned out to be more of a heavy-handed drama, which disappointed me. However, Minnie Driver was smokin' hot in that film.

GottaHavePride
7/3/2006, 02:03 AM
For comedy you want "The Imposters" - basically the same cast but classic "stowing away aboard a cruise ship" shenanigans.

Hatfield
7/3/2006, 07:14 AM
i walked out of the theater during the succ that is the imposters

Norm In Norman
7/3/2006, 07:31 AM
I liked Superman returns. Maybe not as good as the forst two, although there weren't any "can you read my mind" or "look ma! I can turn back time when I really want to" scenes.

StoopTroup
7/6/2006, 10:41 PM
I liked it. My little boy & I just got back from seeing it.

He's putting on his Superman PJs and getting in his Batman Bed and stuggling up with Spiderman, King Kong and Spongebob as we speak.

Gotta go help him say his prayers.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2006, 04:31 AM
It wasn't very good. It's inherently flawed though, Superman just isn't a very interesting character.

Proving that while your opinion matters, it only matters in the context of not being correct. ;)

Superman, when written well, is a very compelling character. You have someone who travels around the world saving people regardless of race, color, or creed in a desparate attempt to find the acceptance and belonging that he'll never find as an alien. He knows that the adulation he receives is false, because they don't know that he's not one of them.

The other compelling point about Superman (which is something I think Harlan Ellison talked about, I know it's not original thought to me) is that he's the only superhero whose secret identity is the one that goes around in civilian clothes. Superman is the real identity-this is the person that Kal-El is supposed to be. Clark Kent is the secret identity, the person that he pretends to be in order to protect his loved ones.

What does Clark Kent tell us about Superman?

When Peter Parker chose a secret identity, he took on a stylized representation of a spider and emphasized the speed and power of a spider.

When Steve Rogers chose a secret identity, he took on the name of Captain America and turned the flag into his costume-striving to be the symbol of what America should and can be.

Superman chose to be a human as his secret identity. He chose someone that to him was the epitome of humanity. Weak. Ineffectual. Clumsy. Slow. Nearsighted. The alter ego of Clark Kent shows Superman's underlying contempt for the people with whom he can never feel a true connection.

NOW tell me that Superman is an inherently uninteresting character.

Oh, yeah, I liked Superman Returns. Mainly because Singer didn't take the easy route of turning Lois' fiancee into a bad person and because he did a great job of showing Superman's sense of displacement and lonliness.

dolemitesooner
7/7/2006, 05:52 PM
It got the Dolemite Approval Stamp

Vaevictis
7/7/2006, 06:46 PM
Superman chose to be a human as his secret identity. He chose someone that to him was the epitome of humanity. Weak. Ineffectual. Clumsy. Slow. Nearsighted. The alter ego of Clark Kent shows Superman's underlying contempt for the people with whom he can never feel a true connection.

I never bought this particular argument. Contempt is one way of looking at it, but there are other interpretations.

First off, a lot of those are inheritances from when he was a kid; the weakness, the clumsiness, the slowness. His parents probably encouraged him to adopt those "traits" so as to reduce the chances of giving away his powers.

But mostly, he kept those powers because they make Clark Kent more human. Humans have flaws, and by adopting "flaws", Superman can better understand what it's like to be human. And he despirately wants to be more human. He's lonely, and because of all of his powers, he can't have many of the things that a normal human can have. Because of the powers, he must stand alone. For example, the Lois Lane issue would be way less complicated without all trappings of Superman.

It's not contempt on Superman's part; just like every human wants to be Superman, Superman just wants to be human. Flaws and all.

That's part of what makes him great. If he really wanted to be Superman, after a fashion, he'd be lusting for power (as Superman *is* power). And lust for power corrupts. Superman, on the whole, doesn't corrupt.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2006, 07:24 PM
Again, I submit-he wants to be more human, so he emulates our weaknesses? What does that do but show contempt?

Vaevictis
7/7/2006, 07:35 PM
Again, I submit-he wants to be more human, so he emulates our weaknesses? What does that do but show contempt?

You're just taking something and seeing bad where there is none. The weaknesses are the one part of humanity that Superman doesn't have, and so they are the one part he needs to be more human.

It's not contempt. It's just logic.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2006, 07:41 PM
The one part of humanity Superman doesn't have is a normal life without the responsibility to save people. Had he wanted to be "human" he could have emulated a regular guy, or even an athletic one.

I don't think that it would be possible for someone with godlike powers who spends an inordinate amount of time saving people from generally avoidable peril to NOT develop at least a subconscious contempt for them-and Superman's contempt is very much part of his subconscious mind.

Part of Superman's nobility is that he rises above that contempt and recognizes how wrong it is.

However, our discussion proves my original point: Superman is very much an interesting character once one looks behind the obvious.

Vaevictis
7/7/2006, 07:51 PM
The one part of humanity Superman doesn't have is a normal life without the responsibility to save people. Had he wanted to be "human" he could have emulated a regular guy, or even an athletic one.

I'd say that would require Superman to have the human weakness of selfishness. Again, the weaknesses are the one human thing he can't have.

However, our discussion proves my original point: Superman is very much an interesting character once one looks behind the obvious.

Well, what really makes Superman interesting to me is that the dude really does have the power to do anything and take anything he wants. But he doesn't. He basically never falls off the wagon of his own accord (sometimes things beyond his control push him over), but on the whole, the dude is just incorruptable. That, more than any of his powers, makes him "Superman" in my book.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2006, 07:55 PM
I'd agree to that second statement.

FWIW, Superman has, under the influence of various forms of kryptonite, been shown to have an underlying disdain for several people who he considers friends and humanity in general. Now, you can choose to believe that Black Kryptonite actually alters his personality, or like any OTHER mind-altering drug that it just reveals personality that you normally hide. :D

Vaevictis
7/7/2006, 07:58 PM
Meh, you're just cynical.

(so am I, but not with regard to Superman, dammit.)

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2006, 08:01 PM
Heh. Actually, I don't like deconstructionism applied to Superman. I was just illustrating how Superman can be seen as much more complex than people normally look at him.

And nobody ever better try to deconstruct Captain America.

(As an aside, I was on another board the other day and Ed Brubaker was asking people where he could find a T-shirt that said "Rule #1: Bucky is Dead" to wear to the San Diego Comic Con.)

dolemitesooner
7/7/2006, 08:09 PM
ok you guys are gay...lol do I need to show you a real superman thread?

proud gonzo
7/7/2006, 09:20 PM
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not, but i thought the movie was pretty dang good. I was surprised. I expected it to suck.

carry on.

GDC
7/8/2006, 12:44 AM
I still dont understand how Superman shaves, or cuts his hair and fingernails.