PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Ineligible for 2006 season?

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/26/2006, 10:04 PM
Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/sioncampus/06/26/college/index.html

A league source with intimate knowledge of the applicable NCAA regulations tells us that Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis might have rendered quarterback Brady Quinn and other incoming seniors ineligible if, as ProFootballTalk.com previously has reported, Weis has directed the seniors with designs on pro football to pick their agents before the start of the 2006 season.

Yeah, right.

As if NCAA would EVER touch ND.

olevetonahill
6/26/2006, 10:42 PM
Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?

Yeah, right.

They will be on em like stink on **** :eek:
Right after they get thru kicking sucs *** ;)

BoomerJack
6/26/2006, 10:45 PM
"As if NCAA would EVER touch ND." 100% agreement here. Question: What "league" is the article referring to? I didn't know the Domers were in a league in football.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/26/2006, 10:51 PM
I think it was an NFL official making the comment.

Snrfn4ever08
6/26/2006, 10:53 PM
Hmm? Hmm? Hmm?

Yeah, right.

no joke. i hope some nukes hit at south bend and then at the usc half of l.a.

Vaevictis
6/26/2006, 10:55 PM
This fills me with indescribable joy.

Snrfn4ever08
6/26/2006, 10:56 PM
This fills me with indescribable joy.
don't get too giddy

Vaevictis
6/26/2006, 11:02 PM
I can't help it. The mere possibility makes me happy.

Snrfn4ever08
6/26/2006, 11:27 PM
I can't help it. The mere possibility makes me happy.
yea, that's how i felt when i read the thread title, i thought maybe he'd already been declared ineligible

Vaevictis
6/26/2006, 11:31 PM
The only way to top Quinn being declared ineligible would be to have CNN report that the entire team was being treated for anal warts.

I could die a happy man at that point, I think. I'm not sure it would be possible to humiliate them further.

Snrfn4ever08
6/26/2006, 11:34 PM
The only way to top Quinn being declared ineligible would be to have CNN report that the entire team was being treated for anal warts.

I could die a happy man at that point, I think. I'm not sure it would be possible to humiliate them further.
add genital herpes to that, it's even better:D

The Consumate Showman
6/26/2006, 11:38 PM
Alright Beano, I thought you were talking about OU's Quinn. Whew!

Vaevictis
6/26/2006, 11:41 PM
It wouldn't even have to be true. The fact that Weiss would have to go on television to deny it would be priceless in and of itself.

Snrfn4ever08
6/26/2006, 11:46 PM
It wouldn't even have to be true. The fact that Weiss would have to go on television to deny it would be priceless in and of itself.
everyone in the media would believe his denial because they think he's the second coming of jesus christ

the_edge
6/27/2006, 12:12 AM
Alright Beano, I thought you were talking about OU's Quinn. Whew!Same here, I was already thinking about bridges to jump off of. :(

Vaevictis
6/27/2006, 12:18 AM
everyone in the media would believe his denial because they think he's the second coming of jesus christ

It doesn't matter. The Notre Dame head coach, on national TV, saying, "My players do not have anal warts."

How can that be anything but pure comedy gold?

sooner518
6/27/2006, 12:34 AM
the NCAA would sooner cancel the entire college football season than let Notre Dame's star player go down to something like this. no chance

silverwheels
6/27/2006, 12:46 AM
That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen. Pick an agent before your Senior year? Charlie, Charlie, Charlie...

Collier11
6/27/2006, 01:17 AM
You guys are missing the big issue here, whether or not any of us hate Notre dame, texas, usc or whoever...this is just another case of the ncaa wasting our time and hurting student athletes for no reason at all. Lets say hypothetically that quinn had picked an agent already, if he hasnt signed(which I doubt the kid is that dumb) what the hell does it even matter. The ncaa needs to worry about kids accepting money from agents, fake grades, or just flat out being hypocrits in general with there procedures. Let me as you this, how is picking who will represent you in your professional career any different than signing a million $ plus insurance policy in case you get hurt to set you financially or not allowing jeremy bloom to accept endorsments or allowing jeff samardjia to sign a pro career in baseball while he is still playing college ball. I am sick of the ncaa and the way that they are ruining college sports

Collier11
6/27/2006, 01:19 AM
How many college students get gaurantees from businesses that are going to hire them ONCE they graduate based on their college academic performance, SAME THING!!! They arent in the national spotlight and that is the only difference

TheGodfather889
6/27/2006, 01:54 AM
If Quinn is ineligible the Heisman Trophy might as well be handed to Adrian Peterson. I mean who is left to win that trophy?

OUDoc
6/27/2006, 08:22 AM
Great, now they'll get sympathy votes in the polls. What's higher than #1?

Beef
6/27/2006, 08:40 AM
Great, now they'll get sympathy votes in the polls. What's higher than #1?
Negative zero.

sooner94
6/27/2006, 08:41 AM
As much as I would love to see Quinn inelgible, it won't happen. This is a classic case of the media blowing something out of proportion.

The real story is that Quinn has narrowed down his prospects for agents to 3 candidates (or close to 3) to eliminate the large number of calls that he and his family have gotten from potential agents.

Again, I would love to see ND hung upside down by their scrotums, but it's not going to happen. They are within the rules as the players have not signed with agents.

OUstud
6/27/2006, 09:30 AM
Screw Pretty Boy Quinn and his attention whore horse-faced sister!

The Consumate Showman
6/27/2006, 10:41 AM

OUCH! :)

swardboy
6/27/2006, 11:24 AM

Pic?

snp
6/27/2006, 11:34 AM
And the rampant ND hates starts again. This is a non-issue.

"My sources in the NFL," Karwoski mocked. "Yeah, great, what sources? First of all your sources should be with the kid, with the agent and the university. We're the ones who know what's going on."

And perhaps the ones who would avoid a 56-word sentence and the term "incoming seniors."

In any event, what's going on is this: Weis and Karwoski have talked to Quinn, a senior who is expected to be the first pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, about narrowing down a list of potential agents this offseason, not deciding on one.

"They wanted to get rid of the riffraff, find out who the legitimate people were," Karwoski said. "I told them there is nothing in the rules that prevents you from sitting down and talking to an agent. You can also call the ones you're not interested in and tell them that, that they're not going to be part of any further discussions.

"If there's a group of four, five, 10 that pique their interest, I don't have a problem with the player saying, 'We're going to revisit this at the end of the season when my eligibility is done.' The only thing I cautioned them about was don't tell somebody, 'You're the guy.' You are prevented by NCAA rules from making a written or verbal agreement."

Slates, Quinn's parents (Robin and Ty) and another uncle, Scott Binder, met with 15 agents initially and narrowed the field to six. At that point, Quinn joined the process and the family has now weeded the list to "a few."

"Brady was getting text-messages, called and mailed information on a daily basis," Slates said. "I don't know how these guys get his cell number and stuff, but they do.

"What we've done is let the guys know who are still in the running that they are and let the guys who are no longer in the running who they are. And everybody knows not to contact Brady until January. And you know what? They've honored that. Now Brady can focus on football and we can move on with our lives, knowing we'll have a very abbreviated final process ahead of us."

They didn't do anything illegal and it benefits the kids. Take off the ND blinders just for once.

SCOUT
6/27/2006, 11:36 AM
How many college students get gaurantees from businesses that are going to hire them ONCE they graduate based on their college academic performance, SAME THING!!! They arent in the national spotlight and that is the only difference

Actually, we do this all the time. We make offers to students 6-12 months before they graduate based on their performance to that point. I don't think we have hired a college student after they graduated in years.

snp
6/27/2006, 11:39 AM

And like usual, me and Collier are sticking up for our fellow students. Totally agree.

picasso
6/27/2006, 11:45 AM
I disagree. I hate the NCAA as much as anyone but you can't let kids get hooked up with agents in college. the difference you ask? your future employer isn't going to be throwing mad amounts of money at you during your college years like an agent would.
I would also tend to think it would greatly affect recruiting if say a Nostra Damis was in tighty tight with Joe plaid blazer new car foy ya Agent.

snp
6/27/2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure if Collier was going as far as to say that we should allow them to sign with agents. Afterall, he said he didn't think Quinn was dumb enough to sign with one.

I think he was just pointing out the hypocrasy of the NCAA.

picasso
6/27/2006, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if Collier was going as far as to say that we should allow them to sign with agents. Afterall, he said he didn't think Quinn was dumb enough to sign with one.

I think he was just pointing out the hypocrasy of the NCAA.
yes I know that but are we dumb enough to think that a verbal to an agent wouldn't come with some perks? please.

OUDoc
6/27/2006, 01:00 PM
Take off the ND blinders just for once.
They're permanent.

Collier11
6/27/2006, 09:39 PM
I just think that his well-being is his own business and as long as he goes about it responsibly and doesnt break any laws then they should get off his or any other athletes a*s

Collier11
6/27/2006, 09:41 PM
IM not saying sign with an agent or accept money, but whats wrong with talking if HE or HIS family initiates the discussions and no deals are made other than who will be representing him. And to PICASSO, while not millions, when some big company offers a college kid high 5 figure or a 6 figure contract before they graduate then that is pretty much the same. Im not talking about a teacher making 30 G's, but I had a buddy gauranteed a job with Chesapeake making 70G's straight out college, thats a ton of money to a 20 something kid

Scott D
6/27/2006, 09:44 PM
I disagree. I hate the NCAA as much as anyone but you can't let kids get hooked up with agents in college. the difference you ask? your future employer isn't going to be throwing mad amounts of money at you during your college years like an agent would.
I would also tend to think it would greatly affect recruiting if say a Nostra Damis was in tighty tight with Joe plaid blazer new car foy ya Agent.

bingo...while it seems such a nothing to SNP and Collier, it's also not a far step from being a violation. At this point I'll concur that Quinn is doing nothing wrong, however the advice from Weis can be considered questionable. The problem is, that first it's narrowing down a list, and perhaps verbally agreeing to an agent, since to sign anything would be a violation. Then said agents in a game of oneupsmanship begin bestowing 'gifts' on potential clients....NOW we have reached NCAA violations. Personally, I believe the NCAA and the NFL need to get together to crunch out some sort of penalty system to put in place for Agents making any form of early contact with players while they are still eligible for paricipation in college athletics until such a period where the player declares themself eligible for the draft of said sport.

The Consumate Showman
6/27/2006, 09:52 PM
I wonder how many agents have tried to approach AD and his family over the past year or so? I do believe that a lot of college football players get "extra-benefits" so to speak and I think that is a result of the NCAA... Example, the Bloom kid from Colorado. Some of these kids are national spotlight players and get more coverage than some professional sports players. TO think there isn't any "stuff" changing hands......

The Consumate Showman
6/27/2006, 09:53 PM
Oh, and BTW, I am not suggesting that AD, the savior of the Sooners, is cheating, nor am I implicating him in any way either. out.

goingoneight
6/27/2006, 10:00 PM
Alright Beano, I thought you were talking about OU's Quinn. Whew!

So you almost went into cardiac arrest, too TCS?

[ESPN] So if ND loses Quinn, then by default, USC is declared the pre-season Number One team in America. [ESPN]

Scott D
6/27/2006, 10:00 PM
I wonder how many agents have tried to approach AD and his family over the past year or so? I do believe that a lot of college football players get "extra-benefits" so to speak and I think that is a result of the NCAA... Example, the Bloom kid from Colorado. Some of these kids are national spotlight players and get more coverage than some professional sports players. TO think there isn't any "stuff" changing hands......

Bloom's a bad example. Any potential pick is getting harrassed by agents these days, hence why there needs to be a harsher crackdown on Agents and Agencies.

goingoneight
6/27/2006, 10:01 PM
add genital herpes to that, it's even better:D

[Team America: World Police] Ev-ry One has AIDS!!! [Team America: World Police]

Collier11
6/27/2006, 10:01 PM
bingo...while it seems such a nothing to SNP and Collier, it's also not a far step from being a violation. At this point I'll concur that Quinn is doing nothing wrong, however the advice from Weis can be considered questionable. The problem is, that first it's narrowing down a list, and perhaps verbally agreeing to an agent, since to sign anything would be a violation. Then said agents in a game of oneupsmanship begin bestowing 'gifts' on potential clients....NOW we have reached NCAA violations. Personally, I believe the NCAA and the NFL need to get together to crunch out some sort of penalty system to put in place for Agents making any form of early contact with players while they are still eligible for paricipation in college athletics until such a period where the player declares themself eligible for the draft of said sport.

But we are not dealing in theoreticals or hypotheticals, I guarantee you that Quinn, peterson, or any other D1 football player knows but is and is not a violation. If they cross the line then so be it, they get penalized...they should be allowed to be responsible for themselves is all im saying...without the NCAA up their arses about every thing that they do.
To me the big issue is the hipocracy though, why exactly can Jeff samardjia sign a 5 year $7 million contract with the cubs while still playing college football, or zibikowski can make $20 thousand in a fight, but Jeremy Bloom cant accept endorsment money to pay for his career in skiing or Dwayne Jarrett cant live in an apartment where he and his roommate pay the exact same amount of rent with one of the parents paying the difference which happens all the time with REGULAR college kids, you are telling me that Samardjia and zibikowski didnt deal with agents in order to make their money. None of this makes any sense?

goingoneight
6/27/2006, 10:03 PM
It doesn't matter. The Notre Dame head coach, on national TV, saying, "My players do not have anal warts."

How can that be anything but pure comedy gold?

The Texas head coach, on national TV, saying, "My players do not have anal warts."

You asked...

Collier11
6/27/2006, 10:03 PM
The NCAA isn't consistent with anything that they do and that is what is so frustrating

Scott D
6/27/2006, 10:13 PM
But we are not dealing in theoreticals or hypotheticals, I guarantee you that Quinn, peterson, or any other D1 football player knows but is and is not a violation. If they cross the line then so be it, they get penalized...they should be allowed to be responsible for themselves is all im saying...without the NCAA up their arses about every thing that they do.
To me the big issue is the hipocracy though, why exactly can Jeff samardjia sign a 5 year $7 million contract with the cubs while still playing college football, or zibikowski can make $20 thousand in a fight, but Jeremy Bloom cant accept endorsment money to pay for his career in skiing or Dwayne Jarrett cant live in an apartment where he and his roommate pay the exact same amount of rent with one of the parents paying the difference which happens all the time with REGULAR college kids, you are telling me that Samardjia and zibikowski didnt deal with agents in order to make their money. None of this makes any sense?

It's not whether or not the players know it's a violation, the problem is that you are telling players to develop a business relationship with an individual whom is a professional in regards to the sport at which they are playing at a division one level 'while' they are playing it.

Zibikowski can't accept any sort of endorsement money for his boxing. All he can have is a cut of the purse. Getting paid for pro baseball while playing college football is a slippery slope, but the NCAA has said that it doesn't affect amateur status in football (same applies for boxing). However Samardjia can't accept any endorsement money for the same reason. Bloom's problem was that Mogul Skiing was too expensive for him becase he wasn't good enough to finish in the place where he could get prize money on a consistent basis. Bloom wanted to take endorsement money because of that....now while it sounds innocent enough at first. It's not a big step from endorsement money from a company that makes only skiing equipment, to one from Nike under the guise of skiing equipment.

As I said from the first, the issue is with Agents, and how more of a leash needs to be put on who, when, and where they can have contact with players. Raise the punishment for Agents and Agencies, and this problem isn't as bad as it could be.

Collier11
6/27/2006, 10:42 PM
Bloom's problem was that Mogul Skiing was too expensive for him becase he wasn't good enough to finish in the place where he could get prize money on a consistent basis. Bloom wanted to take endorsement money because of that....now while it sounds innocent enough at first. It's not a big step from endorsement money from a company that makes only skiing equipment, to one from Nike under the guise of skiing equipment.

WEll not to nit-pick but im pretty sure that Bloom was a world champion at some point, or atleast US champion...The purses in skiing and sports of the such are not big enough to surive, they continue their career by their endorsment money. Because of the NCAA being so shi*ty about it, Bloom had to give up his college football career and I think that is complete BS. Why punish the kid for being so talented and driven that he wants to do more than one thing with his life? How is a college football player recieving a million dollar-plus signing bonus any different than recieving endorsment money to help you continue your other love of skiing? I can fully see if it was college related, but what is wrong with Nike wanting to give Bloom money so he can chase his dream of representing our country in the olympics. I just feel like there are too many variances of the rules for certain situations and thats not fair. For instance, my senior year my basketball coach took me and a couple of the seniors out to eat on occasion, if I had played college ball and that had been found out, that would be a violation. Too much doesnt make sense about the NCAA and its rules

Collier11
6/27/2006, 10:42 PM
I realize im going in a few diff. directions with this argument, but thats where the ncaa takes us as well with their obscure rules

Luthor
6/28/2006, 09:17 AM
Unless the Nazis occupied Rome again I don't see a problem with ND doing whatever they want whenever they want to. I mean, the red phone still doth ringeth.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/28/2006, 10:20 AM
The Texas head coach, on national TV, saying, "My players do not have anal warts."

You asked...

"My players do not have anal warts. They have genital warts. Bevo is the one with anal warts."

Ahem. And I thank you. Thank you all. [bows]

Jason White's Third Knee
6/28/2006, 10:28 AM
WEll not to nit-pick but im pretty sure that Bloom was a world champion at some point, or atleast US champion...The purses in skiing and sports of the such are not big enough to surive, they continue their career by their endorsment money. Because of the NCAA being so shi*ty about it, Bloom had to give up his college football career and I think that is complete BS. Why punish the kid for being so talented and driven that he wants to do more than one thing with his life? How is a college football player recieving a million dollar-plus signing bonus any different than recieving endorsment money to help you continue your other love of skiing? I can fully see if it was college related, but what is wrong with Nike wanting to give Bloom money so he can chase his dream of representing our country in the olympics. I just feel like there are too many variances of the rules for certain situations and thats not fair. For instance, my senior year my basketball coach took me and a couple of the seniors out to eat on occasion, if I had played college ball and that had been found out, that would be a violation. Too much doesnt make sense about the NCAA and its rules

What about all of these players that can go out for baseball (Chris Weike), get a big signing bonus (Chris Weinke), get stuck in the minors (Chris Weinke), quit because reality hits you squarly (a failed Chris Weinke), but hey! I can just go back to college and play football? Bunk.

Jeremy Bloom was so screwed by the NCAA. I wouldn't have any problem with him climbing a water tower with a high powered rifle and a a trash bag full of grape jello (for combing through his hair), yelling "I am the EGGMAN! I AM THE WALRUS!" and picking off innocent bystanders. In fact, I encourage it.

snp
6/28/2006, 10:54 AM
yes I know that but are we dumb enough to think that a verbal to an agent wouldn't come with some perks? please.

You are prevented by NCAA rules from making a written or verbal agreement."

They won't verbal until the season is over.

Once again, verballing to an agent is the same thing as signing with them - it's illegal. All they are doing is narrowing down potentials. Nothing wrong with that, yet.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/28/2006, 06:38 PM
What about all of these players that can go out for baseball (Chris Weike), get a big signing bonus (Chris Weinke), get stuck in the minors (Chris Weinke), quit because reality hits you squarly (a failed Chris Weinke), but hey! I can just go back to college and play football? Bunk.

Jeremy Bloom was so screwed by the NCAA. I wouldn't have any problem with him climbing a water tower with a high powered rifle and a a trash bag full of grape jello (for combing through his hair), yelling "I am the EGGMAN! I AM THE WALRUS!" and picking off innocent bystanders. In fact, I encourage it.

I wanted to apologize for rehashing the baseball thing when someone had already bitched about it before.

Bloom was totally boned by the thoughtless pinheads of the NCAA.

Scott D
6/28/2006, 08:03 PM

Other than the fact that Nike is the 'official' sponsor of Colorado and other Universities, nothing I guess.

Signing a minor league contract for one sport, and endorsement deals are as different as apples and oranges.

Scott D
6/28/2006, 08:04 PM
They won't verbal until the season is over.

Once again, verballing to an agent is the same thing as signing with them - it's illegal. All they are doing is narrowing down potentials. Nothing wrong with that, yet.

narrowing down a list to a single prospective agent is verballing in every nature but 'officially'. Once again, my issue isn't with the student athlete, but with how this is going to be abused in the future by Agents and potential Agents unless the NFL and NCAA get an agreement in place to punish Agents for any illegal contact.

goingoneight
6/28/2006, 10:01 PM
"My players do not have anal warts. They have genital warts. Bevo is the one with anal warts."

Ahem. And I thank you. Thank you all. [bows]

We are not... worrrrrrrthy... :D

crimson&cream
6/29/2006, 08:58 AM
Unless the Nazis occupied Rome again I don't see a problem with ND doing whatever they want whenever they want to. I mean, the red phone still doth ringeth.
In that case let those rich a$$ alumni just give every HS FB prospect a million or two to play for ND--Hell yeh let ND do whatever they want---maybe thats the crux of the problem that preception ND does get away with anything they want to, hell they always include them in the Big 12 editions pre-season FB mags, and why these mags think very many of us Big 12 FB team fans care about ND is beyond me. Furthermore, Oh how they'd scream south of the Red River if OU could do whatever they wanted. Of course Texassans already believe that LMAO. One big difference we don't have a carnival snake oil salesman pitching our program like Texass does.
The NCAA is not consistant in enforcement of rules or punishment and thats their weakest link.
BTW to use one or two friends as an example "I have a buddy that signed with a Co for 70,000" is not a representative sample out of millions and is weak although I get the point.

Jason White's Third Knee
6/29/2006, 11:32 AM
Other than the fact that Nike is the 'official' sponsor of Colorado and other Universities, nothing I guess.

Signing a minor league contract for one sport, and endorsement deals are as different as apples and oranges.

Yeah, but they are both fruits. Still getting money for excelling at a sport.

stoopified
6/30/2006, 10:04 AM
Alright Beano, I thought you were talking about OU's Quinn. Whew!me too I was thinking HERE WE GO AGAIN,starting with JD.I guess the annual merry-go-round with our O-linemen did start however with Roark.

Vaevictis
6/30/2006, 10:10 AM

"My players do not have anal warts. Neither does Bevo have genital warts. No further comment at this time."

snp
6/30/2006, 11:37 AM
In that case let those rich a$$ alumni just give every HS FB prospect a million or two to play for ND--Hell yeh let ND do whatever they want---maybe thats the crux of the problem that preception ND does get away with anything they want to, hell they always include them in the Big 12 editions pre-season FB mags, and why these mags think very many of us Big 12 FB team fans care about ND is beyond me. Furthermore, Oh how they'd scream south of the Red River if OU could do whatever they wanted. Of course Texassans already believe that LMAO. One big difference we don't have a carnival snake oil salesman pitching our program like Texass does.
The NCAA is not consistant in enforcement of rules or punishment and thats their weakest link.
BTW to use one or two friends as an example "I have a buddy that signed with a Co for 70,000" is not a representative sample out of millions and is weak although I get the point.

What in the hell are you talking about?