PDA

View Full Version : Car Trouble

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 06:20 PM
I have a 1998 Ford Explorer 2 door with 133,000 miles on it. Runs pretty good for having 133,000 miles on it. Regular oil changes, checkups etc. Check engine light came on yesterday and then went off about 24 hrs. later.

What is/was wrong?

TIA.

Go....

;)

StoopTroup
6/26/2006, 06:21 PM
Nothing now.

BajaOklahoma
6/26/2006, 06:30 PM
Not enough info.
What were you doing at the time? Just starting the car, idling with the AC on, etc.

SoonerStormchaser
6/26/2006, 06:31 PM
Time to go buy a Kia...bwa ha ha ha ha...j/k.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 06:32 PM
A myriad of things possibly.

The wife's car (which is what I was driving Friday) recently had the engine light come on. It simply needed the fuel injectors cleaned. We haven't driven the car on the highway enough and they had some gunk buildup.

It could be a sensor, spark plug, spark plug wire, #2 fetzer valve, ...

oumartin
6/26/2006, 06:37 PM
obviously a cracked head! ;)

SoonerInKCMO
6/26/2006, 06:59 PM
Based on that little bit of information, I'm going to go with "Bad oxygen sensor".

BudSooner
6/26/2006, 07:00 PM
Take it to Autozone, they can test it there and recommend the steps to take to correct it.

Or you can beat it with a hammer. :D

oumartin
6/26/2006, 07:01 PM
Or you can beat it with a hammer.

dude, keep that stuff to yerself please ;)

yermom
6/26/2006, 07:03 PM
it shut off right?

it was only kidding ;)

Czar Soonerov
6/26/2006, 07:12 PM
Blinker fluid?

OUHOMER
6/26/2006, 07:27 PM
gas cap was loose....

BudSooner
6/26/2006, 07:39 PM
dude, keep that stuff to yerself please ;)

I had a witty comment but forgot what it was. NM!:D

C&CDean
6/26/2006, 08:07 PM
I'd just like to thank my daddy for teaching me at a young age that men are supposed to know how to work on cars. Thanks pop.

SoonerStormchaser
6/26/2006, 08:13 PM
Too bad he didn't teach you about chainsaws and ladders :P

Sorry Dean...the opportunity was there and I couldn't resist.

C&CDean
6/26/2006, 08:16 PM
Too bad he didn't teach you about chainsaws and ladders :P

Sorry Dean...the opportunity was there and I couldn't resist.

Oh, but he did. A lesser man would be crippled. Or dead.

SoonerStormchaser
6/26/2006, 08:18 PM
At least he didn't teach you how to juggle em.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 08:27 PM
My check engine light stays on. My mechanic said as long as it works well not to worry about it.

C&CDean
6/26/2006, 08:30 PM
Your check engine light can be reset. Your mechanic sounds like the guy who tells you to turn your radio up when you tell him you hear a funny noise.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 08:44 PM
It could mean something, it might not. Those things can come on b/c your sensor/valve/etc got dusty, or b/c something big is about to happen. No real way of knowing unless you take it in, and give up about $100 to have it hooked up to the machine. If it is running fine, I probably wouldn't worry about it right now. If it starts doing it more frequently, get it checked out.

Scott D
6/26/2006, 08:55 PM
it's a ford, so 90% it's air intake.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 09:15 PM
Your check engine light can be reset. Your mechanic sounds like the guy who tells you to turn your radio up when you tell him you hear a funny noise.It could be reset, but it was a computer problem. I am too cheap to fix it.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 09:50 PM
It could mean something, it might not. Those things can come on b/c your sensor/valve/etc got dusty, or b/c something big is about to happen. No real way of knowing unless you take it in, and give up about $100 to have it hooked up to the machine. If it is running fine, I probably wouldn't worry about it right now. If it starts doing it more frequently, get it checked out.

I'm going with this solid advice. :D

And Dean, I wish I would have grown up around anyone who knew about cars. Just wasn't exposed to it.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 10:02 PM

And Dean, I wish I would have grown up around anyone who knew about cars. Just wasn't exposed to it.

My dad has been a mechanic since before I was born. I'm not some guru, but I have a general idea, and I know that my advice is what he'd tell you to do.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 11:12 PM

My dad didn't know anything about fixing cars. What I learned was self taught. I don't know a lot, but I can do much of the minor stuff. Have done the brakes, all the fluid changes, greasing the drive train, changing all of the filters. The one thing that I will not do, but that I could do is change the gas filter. I have changed enough of them and have had enough gas on me that I don't ever want to do that again.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 11:14 PM
My dad didn't know anything about fixing cars. What I learned was self taught. I don't know a lot, but I can do much of the minor stuff. Have done the brakes, all the fluid changes, greasing the drive train, changing all of the filters. The one thing that I will not do, but that I could do is change the gas filter. I have changed enough of them and have had enough gas on me that I don't ever want to do that again.

Good job, here you go:

http://www.cookiesinheaven.com/images/cookies/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

;)

SOONER44EVER
6/27/2006, 12:25 AM

I have a 97 Explorer and had the light come on. I went to Autozone and had it checked and it was an oxygen sensor. The guy said it would cost about $80 or he could just turn the light off. It comes back on about every 6 months or so and I just have him turn it off. He said if it comes back on immediately I will have to replace it. I've put about 35K miles on it since it first came on with no problems. The Ford dealer wants $78 to check it exactly like Autozone did for free.

olevetonahill
6/27/2006, 12:33 AM
My check engine light stays on. My mechanic said as long as it works well not to worry about it.
Get a mechanic !
the lights on for a reason , continue driving it that way and about 3 other things will go wrong , you will definatley lose MPGs , just sayin

olevetonahill
6/27/2006, 12:43 AM
I have a 97 Explorer and had the light come on. I went to Autozone and had it checked and it was an oxygen sensor. The guy said it would cost about $80 or he could just turn the light off. It comes back on about every 6 months or so and I just have him turn it off. He said if it comes back on immediately I will have to replace it. I've put about 35K miles on it since it first came on with no problems. The Ford dealer wants $78 to check it exactly like Autozone did for free.
the KIDS at autozone , orielly dont have a freeking clue
If its you O2 sensor pull the dayum thing clean it with Carb cleaner put it back in

SOONER44EVER
6/27/2006, 12:51 AM
the KIDS at autozone , orielly dont have a freeking clue
If its you O2 sensor pull the dayum thing clean it with Carb cleaner put it back in
The guy I deal with at Autozone is about 50 years old and seems to know lots about cars. The others.............not so much. He told me I could clean it like you said but it was a real pain to get to. I have absolutely no idea where the oxygen sensor is or even what it is. I like the old cars without all the sensor stuff on them.

Vaevictis
6/27/2006, 12:59 AM
I like the old cars without all the sensor stuff on them.

I'm just glad when I can find a service manual for a car these days.

olevetonahill
6/27/2006, 01:06 AM
The guy I deal with at Autozone is about 50 years old and seems to know lots about cars. The others.............not so much. He told me I could clean it like you said but it was a real pain to get to. I have absolutely no idea where the oxygen sensor is or even what it is. I like the old cars without all the sensor stuff on them.
Its in the exhaust system somewhere , Tell my make and model I can tell you , Ive gone to get parts and had to show the OLD guys how to hook up the scanner they use . One dude ( 50 or so ) was using the wrong cable connection :eek:
Usually you unhook the wire to it Put a wrench on it take it out , no big deal
Like I said Yall feel free to call , Ill help all I can

olevetonahill
6/27/2006, 01:09 AM
Just reread your post
a 97 you prolly have more than 1 My scanner will tell me which one Is not working . what engine ?

SOONER44EVER
6/27/2006, 02:09 AM
Just reread your post
a 97 you prolly have more than 1 My scanner will tell me which one Is not working . what engine ?
Its a 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer with a 4.0 V-6, auto transmission, 2wd. The guy mentioned it had more than one oxygen sensor but I don't remember which one he said it was.