PDA

View Full Version : RIAA Says No Dancing To Music On YouTube

Rhino
6/26/2006, 03:20 PM
The RIAA Says No Dancing To Music On YouTube (http://techdirt.com/articles/20060614/1837225.shtml)
from the how-dare-you! dept (or the you serious, Clark? dept)

We already know that the entertainment industry loves to try to get people to pay for every possible use of their content. Remember the filmmaker who almost couldn't release his documentary because there was a four and a half second clip of The Simpsons (http://libreria.sourceforge.net/library/Free_Culture/CHAPTER07.html) playing in the background in one scene? It seems that with the rise of user-generated video, a lot more people are learning about the fun of licensing rights. The RIAA is apparently sending out cease-and-desist letters to YouTube users (http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/75383) who dare to put up videos of things such as themselves dancing to music they haven't licensed. It's difficult to see how the RIAA can make a credible claim of "losses" in this case. Clearly, some kids videotaping themselves bopping along to some song aren't going to pay a license fee -- and these sorts of viral videos tend to help build up more interest in artists. So what good does it do to go after these videos?

slickdawg
6/26/2006, 03:21 PM
The RIAA shall burn in hell for eternity.

Boarder
6/26/2006, 03:22 PM
Clearly, some kids videotaping themselves bopping along to some song aren't going to pay a license fee

IF THEY DON'T WANT TO END UP IN JAIL THEY WILL! LITTLE THIEVES!

jk the sooner fan
6/26/2006, 03:43 PM
makes me want to just run out and buy some music somewhere

bri
6/26/2006, 03:51 PM
*sigh*

No more Numa Numa Guy...:(

Hatfield
6/26/2006, 03:55 PM
they are king on the mountain of out of touch

achiro
6/26/2006, 04:05 PM
Clearly, some kids videotaping themselves bopping along to some song aren't going to pay a license fee
So are the fat guys in only their underwear ok then?

Scott D
6/26/2006, 04:30 PM
I predict that within the next few months the Supreme Court is going to slap the bejeezus out of the RIAA.

49r
6/26/2006, 04:37 PM
So are the fat guys in only their underwear ok then?

Sure...

It's even okay for them to be playing or singing music. As long as it is their own original work. But I'm sure the RIAA is going to make sure they find ways to charge license fees for even that soon. They've got a room full of monkeys - errr - attorneys working on just this problem and will get back to you as soon as they can! :D

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 04:52 PM
Sure...

It's even okay for them to be playing or singing music. As long as it is their own original work. But I'm sure the RIAA is going to make sure they find ways to charge license fees for even that soon. They've got a room full of monkeys - errr - attorneys working on just this problem and will get back to you as soon as they can! :D

Oh, that's easy. They'll just sue people for preventing themselves from earning fair profits off their own music by way of negligent failure to record their music.

GrapevineSooner
6/26/2006, 05:15 PM
HOW DARE YOU make a video of you and your friend lip synching I'm a Barbie Girl without paying us royalties?!!!!!

Sooner_Bob
6/26/2006, 07:54 PM
I predict that within the next few months the Supreme Court is going to slap the bejeezus out of the RIAA.

I really wish they would.

This recent news is pathetic . . . much like most RIAA-related news.

OUinFLA
6/26/2006, 09:18 PM
So............. bands who perform in nightclubs and play popular music.........
are they gonna have to pay royalties? or will the dancers/listeners have to pay to listen/dance to some garage band play a Rolling Stones tune?

Is there no end to the madness?

GhostOfJAS
6/26/2006, 09:32 PM
Well, the RIAA is led by a man who is considered one of the top 50 most influential politicos in DC and whose last job was a congressional lobbyist for a certain "smaller government" political party. Any guesses which political party the RIAA leader was recently a lobbyist for? Anybody? Wait for it....wait for it....

http://www.riaa.com/about/leadership/default.asp

nanimonai
6/26/2006, 10:34 PM
I heard a song the other day and now it's stuck in my head. Will I have to pay royalties for this?

bri
6/26/2006, 10:47 PM
Only if you tell us what song it is.

In which case, God help you. God help us ALL. :D

Boarder
6/26/2006, 11:57 PM
God help you.

That's part of the lyrics to Streets of Sorrow from the Pogues. You are so sued.

Norm In Norman
6/27/2006, 09:58 AM
Is there a way to retroactively not buy any music that I've ever bought? Because, I think it would be worth it.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/27/2006, 10:02 AM
I heard a song the other day and now it's stuck in my head. Will I have to pay royalties for this?

Yes, and for singing in the shower, unless you have purchased the full use license.

OUDoc
6/27/2006, 10:05 AM
I think the recording industry and the oil industry are one in the same.

OUinFLA
6/27/2006, 10:13 AM
I have a way for us to keep our SF.com sponsorship dues to a minimum.
First we need to get Boomer Sooner registered in our name. Then we got to make all those F'n Hillbillys who sing it at sports events and bars pay us a royalty.
While we're at it, we can sue the Yalees for using the same song.
And just think how much money we could get from ring tones!!
All we need is the phone number of everyone who has a Boomer Sooner ringtone and then we hire some illegal to phone them all day long, thus increasing our royalties!

We'll get rich I tell ya