PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 02:35 PM
Spawned from the Sunburn thread, but this deserves it's own.

What do you think is the best sunscreen?

I'm headed to Cabo in 7 weeks, and it'll be hot as ****. By, then I'll have a pretty good base going, but 5 days in the Sun will do some damage. What does everyone think is the best one for all day use, reapplying and such?

slickdawg
6/26/2006, 02:40 PM
Seeing that my mom had a melanoma removed a few years ago, I'd
say long sleeves and pants.

But since that's not realistic, I'd get the strongest stuff the store has,
apply liberally, and reapply every few hours.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 02:43 PM
Dude, use the Coppertone Sport 50 SPF.

I burn about as much as anybody I know, and that stuff was the **** when I went to Cancun. It is waterproof, so you don't have to apply it all that often. Says it protects against both UVA and UVB rays.

NormanPride
6/26/2006, 02:53 PM
I agree with Stan. The only time I burned was when I used the traditional creams and lotions to keep the sun off. That spray on stuff didn't even let me tan much, it was so effective.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 02:59 PM
Some dermatologist on TV was saying that there is no such thing as waterproof sunscreen. You need to reapply every time you come out of the water.

Boarder
6/26/2006, 03:00 PM
I keep this on the boat all the time:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0004110070124_L4.jpg

Mjcpr
6/26/2006, 03:04 PM

There is so much I don't know about boating....I never knew you were even supposed to put sunscreen on your boat.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 03:06 PM
There is so much I don't know about boating....I never knew you were even supposed to put sunscreen on your boat.

If not you get burnt wood.

And burnt wood does nobody any good.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 03:06 PM
When I was in Cancun we took one entire day and went to see the ruins at Tulum and Xel-ha. Even the people who were constantly re-applying super-high-SPF sunscreen all day came back looking like lobsters. (insert obrigatory "robster craw" reference)

In the summer the sun is nearly directly overhead down in those latitudes - best bet if you're going to be outside for extended periods of time is to wear light-colored long-sleeve shirts and long pants made out of the lightest material you can find. Oh, and a hat with a full brim, Panama Jack-style. That's why most desert-dwelling people wear long robes and don't run around mostly nekkid.

So to sum up, the people I was with may have thought I looked stupid, and kept asking me "aren't you hot wearing that?" but I stayed cooler than they did and didn't get burned at all.

Boarder
6/26/2006, 03:07 PM
Was that from Henny Youngman or Don Rickles' book?

Mjcpr
6/26/2006, 03:08 PM
Was that from Henny Youngman or Don Rickles' book?
:D

Shecky Sizemore

boomersooner28
6/26/2006, 03:18 PM
They make a badass 70 spf that comes in a little grey bottle...don't remember who makes it and I'm not running out to the boat to see, sorry. I keep it on my face, neck and top of my shoulders. No burn guarantee!

ChickSoonerFan
6/26/2006, 05:59 PM
One of the science projects in my daughter's class was about which sunscreen worked best.

The truth is anything above 15 worked about the same, the protection factor was in how often it was re-applied.

The Coppertone Sport worked great, I don't think I got burned at all. But it was the lotion kind you rub on, not spray on...still worked like a charm.

StoopTroup
6/26/2006, 06:06 PM

http://www.bygirlsforgirls.org/2002/images/lubricantb.jpg

Make sure you have plenty of life preservers on-board too.

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 06:27 PM
But it was the lotion kind you rub on, not spray on...still worked like a charm.

That application method feels better too. :texan:

Scott D
6/26/2006, 06:36 PM
Spawned from the Sunburn thread, but this deserves it's own.

What do you think is the best sunscreen?

I'm headed to Cabo in 7 weeks, and it'll be hot as ****. By, then I'll have a pretty good base going, but 5 days in the Sun will do some damage. What does everyone think is the best one for all day use, reapplying and such?

I vote for none.

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 09:50 PM
I vote for none.

you gonna pay to have my casket flown back?

Scott D
6/26/2006, 09:56 PM
you gonna pay to have my casket flown back?

In Texas they have a word for guys like you....it begins with P and ends in a Y. (tm Nickleback) :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 09:59 PM
I use Neutrogena Cooling Spray (30 SPF) and Aveeno (30 SPF).

There is really no point in using anything higher than 30, it is all the same after that.

Also, don't forget your scalp. I bought some spritzer at Bath and Body Works that I put on my hair before I went out in the sun in Coz.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 10:01 PM
Another note, I love the spray kind, but you have to still rub it in. Otherwise you'll get burned where it didn't get sprayed on your skin.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 10:03 PM
I vote for none.

Why are you so bitter Scotty?

Scott D
6/26/2006, 10:22 PM
Why are you so bitter Scotty?

bitter?

When I went to the beach I only laid around long enough to feel 'warm' then I'd go into the ocean and swim around for awhile to cool off, then go back to the straw mat to mack the chicks until I felt 'warm' again and repeated the cycle. Never got sunburned.

Stanley1
6/26/2006, 10:24 PM
bitter?

When I went to the beach I only laid around long enough to feel 'warm' then I'd go into the ocean and swim around for awhile to cool off, then go back to the straw mat to mack the chicks until I felt 'warm' again and repeated the cycle. Never got sunburned.

lol.....well, I can't knock you for macking.

Brothers don't burn though, do they? :confused: :D

Scott D
6/26/2006, 10:26 PM
lol.....well, I can't knock you for macking.

Brothers don't burn though, do they? :confused: :D

well 'we' can, and when 'we' do it's likely worse than when caucasians get sunburns because it's more difficult to see. However I think it takes a lot more sun exposure without breaks for it to happen.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 10:30 PM
African Americans don't burn as much as those of us pasty people, but they can still be at risk for skin cancer after being out in the sun for prolonged periods of time. Also, dark skinned people are more likely to suffer heat stroke and such,

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 11:13 PM
African Americans don't burn as much as those of us pasty people, but they can still be at risk for skin cancer after being out in the sun for prolonged periods of time. Also, dark skinned people are more likely to suffer heat stroke and such,

They? Uh oh. ;)

Scott D
6/26/2006, 11:14 PM
I gave her permission to say that....quit tryin to start trouble colleyboy :D

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 11:16 PM
heh

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/26/2006, 11:16 PM
I wanted to say "those people."

colleyvillesooner
6/26/2006, 11:17 PM
:eek:

ChickSoonerFan
6/26/2006, 11:21 PM
IBTL

Just how many will there be tonight?

Boarder
6/27/2006, 12:00 AM
HA! You know what "they" rhymes with!

play, stay...all sorts of things, actually.

usmc-sooner
6/27/2006, 12:10 AM

pasty people?

are you talking about black and white or Africa and pasty :confused:

I honestly don't understand you've switched African American for black and pasty for white people, I don't get it. why?