PDA

View Full Version : Wow. Our squash vine puts out.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 12:56 PM
Man, I hole up in the house for two days with a sinus infection and next thing I know there are four squashes out there. The biggest one is damn near a foot long.

Norm In Norman
6/26/2006, 01:09 PM
In my garden i don't have any tomatoes yet, but I've got a TON of jalepenos. For the heck of it I planted some cucumber seeds about 2 weeks ago and i don't have any blooms on them yet either, although they are starting to get pretty big.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, my serrano plant is starting to grow a lot of little peppers, but the others haven't really done anything yet.

toast
6/26/2006, 01:21 PM
damn near a foot long.

Like I haven't tried that line before...

Norm In Norman
6/26/2006, 01:31 PM
Oooo, serranos. Maybe I should try some of those next year. Thinking I'm a bad *** or something, I took a big bite out the first jalapeno I pulled a few days ago. It about melted my tongue off. I had another one the other day on top of a hot dog and it didn't seem very hot at all. I think I'm getting some cross-pollination with the bell peppers or something to make some of them milder. Also I picked a bell pepper that is about 5 inches long and about and inch wide. I haven't tasted it yet though - it's probably hot.

I planted about 30 cucumber seeds in a 2 foot area and I don't think it was a good idea. I guess I need to transplant some of them. I think they are stunting each other's growth or something. Usually they've taken over by now.

Oh, one last thing is I planted my garden where I had some sunflowers growing last year. I noticed that some were growing right in the middle, so I decided to let them grow. My theory is they will provide a little needed shade during July and August AND I'm using them to tie off some of the limbs on the tomatoes. Next year I'm going to use them to grow green beans. i hear that you plant the green been plants all around a sunflower plant when it's about a foot tall and the green beans will grow up the sunflower stalk.

TopDaugIn2000
6/26/2006, 01:33 PM
I have blooms on the bell peppers, jalepenos, eggplant, and cucumbers.

tomatoes had "brown rot" according to my grandpa, so I had to add some lime to the soil (I'm growing everything in containers and I guess the soil I used didn't have enough)

I've had a couple of good squaRsh (zucchini and yellow) but they will "put out" and then before they get very big they'll shrivel up and die. I HATE it when that happens! I read where they also need lime, so I added some last night. Maybe that'll take care of things.

Okra is about to bloom too.

TopDaugIn2000
6/26/2006, 01:34 PM
I also planted more cucumbers, cause the ones I have aren't getting enough sun now that the neighbor's tree is all up over my fence.
the new ones just came up!

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 01:35 PM
Interesting, Norm. Oh, and the difference in heat probably isn't cross-pollination - I think that would only come into play if you took cross-pollinated seeds and planted them. Then the plants that come up would be a crapshoot.

It may be a difference in watering - they say that if you water pepper plants too much you'll get really large but mild peppers. If you don't water them very much you get smaller hotter peppers.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 01:44 PM
So I just went out to turn the sprinkler off (one of the hops vines was looking a bit sad) and there was a weird bug crawling along the garden hose. It was bright red with black patches, the size of a fat wasp and shaped like a fat wasp, but it didn't have any wings. Weird.

TopDaugIn2000
6/26/2006, 01:45 PM
I've seen those before. no clue what they are though.

Norm In Norman
6/26/2006, 01:46 PM
Wow, I think you are on to something. They didn't get watered as much for a week because we were gone on vacation. The one I ate since the first one has been watered more.

Oh, and about shade, I've planted things this year where they don't get quite as much sun as I normally have. I'm hoping this will help things when it's 100 degrees outside. I dunno thoough, it might just kill things out.

Norm In Norman
6/26/2006, 01:51 PM
Oh, and I'm going to take a picture of my crazy looking garden and post it in this thread whether you guys want it or not.

King Crimson
6/26/2006, 01:57 PM
i picked squash on a farm one summer....and they grow fast. if you don't keep track of em, you'll have squash the size of salmon before ya know it.

C&CDean
6/26/2006, 02:03 PM
Yellow squash a plenty in our garden. We've been eating it with supper for a couple weeks now. Slice, butter, greek seasoning, and on the grill. Killer. Magda squash too. Makes a great substitute eggplant parmagiana.

Bell peppers, cayenne peppers, tabasco peppers, and the habaneros are just making. No jalapenos yet, but lots of blossoms.

Had my first tomato yesterday. Small and delicious. The plants are loaded with green tomatoes and flowers. We'll be rocking on tomatoes very soon.

Sweet corn got set out late. It's about knee high now. Eggplant is flowering, and no okra yet.

That's all for the garden report.

Boarder
6/26/2006, 02:09 PM
Note to self:

Go to Farmer's Market Saturday Morning.

slickdawg
6/26/2006, 02:16 PM
This thread title did not go in the direction I expected the SO to take it.

TopDaugIn2000
6/26/2006, 02:52 PM
Oh, and about shade, I've planted things this year where they don't get quite as much sun as I normally have. I'm hoping this will help things when it's 100 degrees outside. I dunno thoough, it might just kill things out.

yeah, which is why I left those 3 to grow in the shade and planted 3 more in direct sun. if they all start making cucumbers, I may be trying to pawn them off on here!

NormanPride
6/26/2006, 02:58 PM

We can fix this.

What does it charge?

Mjcpr
6/26/2006, 03:01 PM
Is your squash vine doing anything this weekend?

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 03:05 PM

And it started with so much potential.

The biggest one is damn near a foot long.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 03:10 PM
Oh, I measured that one - it's actually only 9 inches. ;)

BeetDigger
6/26/2006, 03:12 PM
Oh, I measured that one - it's actually only 9 inches. ;)

One bit of advice, when you get married, throw away all of the rulers in the house. :D

IB4OU2
6/26/2006, 03:25 PM
All of our gardens are all doing great since we finally started using our new water well for watering (we were using city water). The tomatoes, peppers and beans are making as well as the rasberries we planted last year.

achiro
6/26/2006, 03:58 PM
Man, I hole up in the house for two days with a sinus infection
You people are always sick, you're not from very hardy stock are you. I'm betting if you were a squash vine you would have turned yourself over and started over a long time ago.:D

GottaHavePride
6/26/2006, 04:53 PM
What do you mean always sick? this is the first time I've been sick in about a year! Plus, I'm almost over it now. two more days and it'll be like it never happened...

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:52 PM
We picked our first 3 'maters last night. They're still a little green on top so I haven't tried them yet; I'll be sure to report back when I do though.

IB4OU2
6/29/2006, 01:57 PM
We picked our first 3 'maters last night. They're still a little green on top so I haven't tried them yet; I'll be sure to report back when I do though.

So any sign of the giant spider this year?

Mjcpr
6/29/2006, 01:59 PM
So any sign of the giant spider this year?

Evidently they've both moved elsewhere.....I looked. Whoever said they come back year after year was full of ****.

Norm In Norman
6/29/2006, 02:13 PM
I would love to have a green tomato. Both of my beefsteak plants are dead and my better boys look great but don't have any fruit.

C&CDean
6/29/2006, 02:21 PM
Dude, I told you last year I think - Jetstars. Get Jetstars. They are so much sweeter, juicier, and heartier than beefsteaks. I'm in Indianapolis all week, but by the time I get home tomorrow afternoon, there should be some ripe ones. I'll let you know how delicious they are.....

TopDaugIn2000
I added lots of lime to the soil of ALL my plants and they are growing MUCH better now. Lots and lots of new green leaves. Hopefully plenty of produce to come!

TopDaugIn2000
the only mater I'll eat is a Roma.

C&CDean
6/29/2006, 02:23 PM
the only mater I'll eat is a Roma.

So, you only like ****ty, dry, bitter tomatoes? Whatever floats your boat. It takes all kinds to fill up the freeway......

TopDaugIn2000
6/29/2006, 02:26 PM
yup. that's it.

Norm In Norman
6/29/2006, 02:54 PM
Dude, I told you last year I think - Jetstars. Get Jetstars. They are so much sweeter, juicier, and heartier than beefsteaks. I'm in Indianapolis all week, but by the time I get home tomorrow afternoon, there should be some ripe ones. I'll let you know how delicious they are.....
I'll try some of those next time. I usually just do better boys because they seem to grow well even with the little weeding I do. I just wanted some big tomatoes for sandwiches since better boy's fruit is sorta smallish. Boy they taste good though.

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/29/2006, 02:56 PM
I'm itchin' to post the Materbutt...

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 03:08 PM
Roma tomatoes are for Italian food. mmmmmmm. Oh, and this thread now deserves a big **** you, squash vine! :mad:

NormanPride
6/29/2006, 04:19 PM
heh

Oh, and happy 15K, I guess. :P

proud gonzo
6/29/2006, 04:29 PM
Roma tomatoes are for Italian food. mmmmmmm. Oh, and this thread now deserves a big **** you, squash vine! :mad:

:O

pb4ou
6/29/2006, 05:29 PM
Oooo, serranos. Maybe I should try some of those next year. Thinking I'm a bad *** or something, I took a big bite out the first jalapeno I pulled a few days ago. It about melted my tongue off

Like this Norm???

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/4161/garden4by.gif (http://imageshack.us)

GottaHavePride
6/29/2006, 05:33 PM
Oh, I've still got a couple of squash left in the house if anyone wants to come get 'em. You can have any that are on the vine outside if you pick 'em yourself. ;)

The only thing that actually concerns me out there is that I haven't really been able to weed anything at all. Lot of bermuda grass creeping in...

Mixer!
6/29/2006, 07:10 PM
Like this Norm???

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/4161/garden4by.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Maybe he should plant some Dorset Nagas (http://www.dorsetnaga.com/).