PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 09:50 PM
I'm trying a new recipe that I came up with.

Two beefsteak tomatos, scooped out.
4 oz prosciutto,diced
4 oz feta cheese,crumbled
1/4 cup mushrooms,diced

Mix prosciutto, cheese, and mushrooms in a bowl then stuff into tomatoes. Sprinkle with olive oil. Roast at 400 for 10 minutes. Serve.

I'll let you know how it tastes.

I'm sure that this is a recipe others have come up with before, but it's new for me.

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 09:51 PM
As a side note, does anyone else get irritated when a restaurant describes a tomato gravy as "marinara with x, y, and z meat?" I mean, I'd be OK if they described it as "x, y, and z added to a marinara base," but marinara sauce is, by definition, meatless.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/25/2006, 09:52 PM
Mmmm yummy.

My favorite is tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella, basil and vinagrette. It's usually called ensalata caprese.

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 09:53 PM
Yup. Caprese is good stuff. True story-I went on a date with a girl who ordered it and then wondered where the lettuce was. I didn't take her out again.

For some reason I'm very in touch with my italian roots right now. Perhaps it's the North End tour I went on.

King Crimson
6/25/2006, 09:56 PM
one of the thing i REALLY miss about working in kitchens is slicing my own prosciutto. the other was taking home a wood fired pizza every night.

it was the shizz.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/25/2006, 09:56 PM
Yup. Caprese is good stuff. True story-I went on a date with a girl who ordered it and then wondered where the lettuce was. I didn't take her out again.

For some reason I'm very in touch with my italian roots right now. Perhaps it's the North End tour I went on.Bastard. ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 10:01 PM
OK, good, but shoulda left it in for 30 minutes instead of 10. Cheese didn't melt all the way and the prosciutto didn't crisp.

King Crimson
6/25/2006, 10:01 PM
Yup. Caprese
For some reason I'm very in touch with my italian roots right now..

then buy Roma/plum tomatoes...those waterlogged "Beefsteak" toms are crap.

you are paying for water weight for those.

GDC
6/25/2006, 10:04 PM
TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA SALAD

1 lb. firm ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 lb. Mozzarella cheese (the "in the water" and salted variety works best in this recipe), sliced (approx. 1/4 inch per slice)
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. each fresh parsley and fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
Black olives, optional
Sugar (pinch)
Salt and pepper to taste

Arrange the tomato slices in an overlapping circular pattern around a flat serving dish. Sprinkle over the herbs and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish loosely with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour (no longer than 2 hours, because the tomatoes will get "runny"). Slice the cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Just before serving, remove the plastic wraps, arrange the cheese slices in the center of the tomatoes and scatter the olives over the top. Dress the salad with the olive oil, using a fork if necessary to lift the tomato slices, ensuring that the oil drains through them. (Salad can be refrigerated, dressed, for 15 to 30 minutes at this stage without losing color or becoming limp).

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/25/2006, 10:04 PM

you are paying for water weight for those.I don't know what kind I am getting right now except that they are fresh from the garden.

In the offseason I only eat romas or cherry/grape tomatoes because I hate anemic cold storage tomatoes.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/25/2006, 10:05 PM
TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA SALAD

1 lb. firm ripe tomatoes, sliced
1/2 lb. Mozzarella cheese (the "in the water" and salted variety works best in this recipe), sliced (approx. 1/4 inch per slice)
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. each fresh parsley and fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
Black olives, optional
Sugar (pinch)
Salt and pepper to taste

Arrange the tomato slices in an overlapping circular pattern around a flat serving dish. Sprinkle over the herbs and sugar and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish loosely with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour (no longer than 2 hours, because the tomatoes will get "runny"). Slice the cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Just before serving, remove the plastic wraps, arrange the cheese slices in the center of the tomatoes and scatter the olives over the top. Dress the salad with the olive oil, using a fork if necessary to lift the tomato slices, ensuring that the oil drains through them. (Salad can be refrigerated, dressed, for 15 to 30 minutes at this stage without losing color or becoming limp).the sugar is not even needed in that. I make that all the time and add some balsamic vinegar and red onions.

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 10:12 PM

you are paying for water weight for those.

I live in Alaska. :(

You don't get much in the way of good produce here.

But yeah, you're right-this would work better with Romas.

SoonerInKCMO
6/25/2006, 10:34 PM
As a side note, does anyone else get irritated when a restaurant describes a tomato gravy as "marinara with x, y, and z meat?" I mean, I'd be OK if they described it as "x, y, and z added to a marinara base," but marinara sauce is, by definition, meatless.

But if they called it a ragu, the yokels would think it came out of a jar. ;)

King Crimson
6/25/2006, 10:38 PM
marinara often has anchovies in it. by linguistic def, it's a "sailor's" sauce.

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2006, 10:42 PM
Hm. I had never heard of using anchovies in it.