PDA

View Full Version : Buffett to give away $37 Billion

JohnnyMack
6/25/2006, 06:02 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/25/magazines/fortune/charity1.fortune/index.htm?cnn=yes

Tailwind
6/25/2006, 06:11 PM
Dayum! That is so cool.

Tailwind
6/25/2006, 06:17 PM
oops

SeattleOUstudent
6/25/2006, 06:47 PM
No more waistin' away in Margarittaville ;)

slickdawg
6/25/2006, 07:31 PM
And Napster makes recording artists poor? BUFFET IS A BILLIONAIRE!

FU Lars.

Tailwind
6/25/2006, 07:37 PM
Uh...wrong Buffett.

KaiserSooner
6/25/2006, 08:31 PM
That is cool. Watch Tuba demonize it. ;)

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 08:35 PM
My only question is:

The fight to find a cure for aids is a worthy battle (Gates foundation does more then fight aids), but AIDS is 100% avoidable. Cancer is not. Why are there not more foundations for the elimanation of cancer.

Tailwind
6/25/2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, that is a valid question.....but you gotta ask the right people. It's his billions, he can do what he wants with it, and I'd say giving it away to worthy causes is pretty fine.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 08:44 PM
There is no way that I am going to question the great Warren Buffett. I have always been curious why there is not more of a fight to end cancer. Sadly when I hear of someone I know dying or damn close to dying they seem to be dying of cancer or heart disease not AIDS. How can you say anything bad of people that fund billions of dollars of their own money. I just wonder why it is always to fight AIDS. Bono is a huge benefactor in this area. I guess I am just more curious then questioning there motives.

Tailwind
6/25/2006, 08:47 PM
Ok, and you have a good point. If I had billions it would go to cancer research and heart awareness, because those have affected my life.

GDC
6/25/2006, 08:52 PM
There is no way that I am going to question the great Warren Buffett. I have always been curious why there is not more of a fight to end cancer. Sadly when I hear of someone I know dying or damn close to dying they seem to be dying of cancer or heart disease not AIDS. How can you say anything bad of people that fund billions of dollars of their own money. I just wonder why it is always to fight AIDS. Bono is a huge benefactor in this area. I guess I am just more curious then questioning there motives.

There are an awful lot of HIV positive people walking around who have no idea they've got it.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 08:53 PM
I lost both grandpas to heart disease neither who were overweight or the so called target canidates for heart disease. My grandma on my mom's size died of breast cancer. I think the number one target of medical research should be toward the fight against cancer. Any fight against life ending illnesses is a worthy effort I just think cancer is the biggest killer of them all.

GDC
6/25/2006, 08:54 PM
The best way to lower cancer rates is give up all forms of tobacco, eat a few fruits and vegetables, and get some exercise.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 08:54 PM
That is a huge problem and I don't argue with that. There are a whole lot of people fighting cancer or heart diesease too.

GDC
6/25/2006, 08:56 PM
I agree, I lost two grandparents to lung cancer and another to heart disease/stroke. They all smoked too.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 08:58 PM
My grandma died of breast cancer never smoked in her life and never had a drink. Millions die of other types of cancer without any abuse. I am not saying that all types of cancer are unavoidable. I just think more die of cancer then die of Aids.

GDC
6/25/2006, 09:00 PM
The problem is you can't just collectively cure all cancers the same way, there's too many different types, unfortunately.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 09:01 PM
My only argument is AIDS is for the most part avoidable. (Outside of transfusions and being born with it) I reailize there are some ways you can become affected beyond a person's control, but for the most part more people die of cancer and heart diesease then AIDS.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 09:02 PM
The problem is you can't just collectively cure all cancers the same way, there's too many different types, unfortunately.

That is a great point, that is why I think more money should be spent to fight it.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 09:04 PM
I am not trying to start a holy war. I have been affected way more by cancer and heart diesease then AIDS. Not that this is a shock to anyone but this country has become engulfed in an obesity pandemic. Cancer and heart diease are going to start to wipe out a huge amount of people.

Sooner_75
6/25/2006, 09:05 PM
Prostate and Breast cancer have been the biggest killers in my family. I think they can both be battled with more money, because both are more curable when they are caught early.

royalfan5
6/25/2006, 09:31 PM
The important thing is Warren is spending his money on something way more with while than T. Boone is blowing his on.

JohnnyMack
6/25/2006, 09:51 PM
My only question is:

The fight to find a cure for aids is a worthy battle (Gates foundation does more then fight aids), but AIDS is 100% avoidable. Cancer is not. Why are there not more foundations for the elimanation of cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northamptonshire/content/images/2005/05/04/ugandan_child_with_aids_203x152.jpg

Yeah, avoidable. I'm sure he did it on purpose.

Meanwhile, across our grand land fatas*es everywhere groan about why more isn't done about cancer in between drags of cigarettes and Little Debbie benders.

royalfan5
6/25/2006, 09:56 PM
One other thing, the Buffets traditonal philanthropic focus has been on people on developing countires because Warren believes very strong in helping those who in Warren's words "didn't hit the genetic lottery" and let's be honest, pretty much every American hit the genetic lottery to some degree. Cancer has plenty of cash given to fight it every year, and it's to the point that people have a hell of a lot better shot at beating Cancer than my dad did 20 odd years ago. If Warren wants to spend his money on developing countries more power to him.

GDC
6/25/2006, 09:59 PM
We could have done away with malaria, tuberculosis, cholera, etc. long ago but there's no money in it for the drug companies, since these diseases mostly kill the poorest people in the world.

SeattleOUstudent
6/25/2006, 11:03 PM
wow...this thread went south fast.

and yes, I know its a different Buffet

picasso
6/25/2006, 11:34 PM
cancer will never be cured. there's too much money being made in the treatment of.

also, I like the guys who donate tons without mention or publicity.

OCUDad
6/25/2006, 11:42 PM
cancer will never be cured. there's too much money being made in the treatment of.Whoa. First sentence may or may not be true, but it's kind of a big leap to sentence #2, isn't it? A lot of money has been made treating many diseases, but that doesn't stop researchers from looking for answers and occasionally finding them (see "polio").
So much cynicism in one so young.:(

slickdawg
6/25/2006, 11:57 PM
Uh...wrong Buffett.

Don't mess my argument up here, LARS IS THE DEBBIL!!!!

picasso
6/26/2006, 12:18 AM
Whoa. First sentence may or may not be true, but it's kind of a big leap to sentence #2, isn't it? A lot of money has been made treating many diseases, but that doesn't stop researchers from looking for answers and occasionally finding them (see "polio").
So much cynicism in one so young.:(
not cynicism and I'm actually a cancer survivor bro.:) it's something my gf and I have talked about extensively. she used to work at St. John's and simply thinks there is so much money made with the treatment of cancer that it would be a huge blow to the industry if an effective cure was discovered.
my radiation treatment and checkups alone were in excess of $13,000.

doesn't mean I don't think it will happen.

OCUDad
6/26/2006, 12:21 AM
In that case, congratulations and I hope (in the best possible way) that your gf is eventually proven wrong. :O

picasso
6/26/2006, 12:24 AM
In that case, congratulations and I hope (in the best possible way) that your gf is eventually proven wrong. :O
agreed! Cancer and heart disease seem to get kicked aside in the AIDS argument but they are bigger killers.

just don't get me started on truth.com and their stupid campaign.:rolleyes:

crawfish
6/26/2006, 07:47 AM
The important thing is Warren is spending his money on something way more with while than T. Boone is blowing his on.

T-Boone must be giving his money to charity, because his son is so poor he has to steal stuff. :D

Hamhock
6/26/2006, 08:02 AM
It will be interesting to watch the stock price of Berkshire when Buffett dies. My guess is that it will get hit pretty hard. His persona is a big appeal for many of the investors.

royalfan5
6/26/2006, 08:21 AM
It will be interesting to watch the stock price of Berkshire when Buffett dies. My guess is that it will get hit pretty hard. His persona is a big appeal for many of the investors.
Hell it could drop to 75K a share.

White House Boy
6/26/2006, 08:34 AM
There are an awful lot of HIV positive people walking around who have no idea they've got it.

There are millions more walking around with diabetes than HIV who don't know it yet.