PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw "Crash"

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 11:22 PM
Good flick. You should see it. Superb acting by an ensemble cast. Explores very relevant social issues. Beautiful women. Tons of irony and surprises. Lot's of f-bombs though.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:33 PM
More than this?

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 11:37 PM
More than this?

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ******** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

waaay more, but when Sandra Bullock drops 'em, its kinda sexy. I love me some p1ssed-off Sandra Bullock.

lefty
6/24/2006, 11:38 PM
Homey,

As a "whitey" who has been at an HBCU (Historically Black College and University) for more than ten years, I have gained some perspective on this "racism" issue. Although we have made tremendous progress in this area since I was a kid, there is a way too go. There are whites who are racist, and there are blacks who are racist. Race is still a salient issue (review the responses that Bill Cosby gets to his speeches). Those that think that this issue has been solved are fooling themselves.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:38 PM
Sandra is hawt. HAWT!!!!!!!

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 11:41 PM
Homey,

As a "whitey" who has been at an HBCU (Historically Black College and University) for more than ten years, I have gained some perspective on this "racism" issue. Although we have made tremendous progress in this area since I was a kid, there is a way too go. There are whites who are racist, and there are blacks who are racist. Race is still a salient issue (review the responses that Bill Cosby gets to his speeches). Those that think that this issue has been solved are fooling themselves.

I don't disagree with anything you stated. I used to live in Montgomery AL until just this time last year. Most racially polarized community in which I've ever lived. Its sad really. People of goodwill are stymied in their attempts to advance the society by hindrances kept in place by both races.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:43 PM
I don't disagree with anything you stated. I used to live in Montgomery AL until just this time last year. Most racially polarized community in which I've ever lived. Its sad really. People of goodwill are stymied in their attempts to advance the society by hindrances kept in place by both races.

Where's my boy VeeJay? This sounds just like Jackson, Mississippi.
Both sides **** with each other all the time so no progress can be made.

lefty
6/24/2006, 11:48 PM
I live not so far from Montgomery and have been there on more than one occasion. It seems to be very typical for southern cities. As I said progress has been made but there is an underlying "essence" of racism that seems to permeate all existence in the South. Although accomodation is apparent, I'm not sure trust has ever been developed.

Blue
6/25/2006, 12:38 AM

I'm from Mobile and I think both of you (Homey and Lefty) are part of the problem.

Put our kind of racial diversity in any northern city and you'll have alot more problems.

I'm tired of people saying the south is racist. I grew up playing sports, going to class, and drinking beer with 50% representation from our black brothers.

Try that **** up north and all hell would break lose.

The fact that the south has learned to deal (besides the major city lame argument, northerners throw out) will be why the south will be where every one wants to live in the future.

I've lived in Ohio and I've never met more racist people in my life.

Scott D
6/25/2006, 12:42 AM
and people wonder why I hate Ohio.

Blue
6/25/2006, 01:15 AM
and people wonder why I hate Ohio.

Racist mother****ers.

Okla-homey
6/25/2006, 06:28 AM
I'm from Mobile and I think both of you (Homey and Lefty) are part of the problem.

Put our kind of racial diversity in any northern city and you'll have alot more problems.

I'm tired of people saying the south is racist. I grew up playing sports, going to class, and drinking beer with 50% representation from our black brothers.

I'm not alleging any such thing. All I'm saying is I've lived in cities just as "racially diverse"....IOW, approximately 50/50 black/white in the South -- Fayetteville NC, Columbia and Charleston SC, and they weren't nearly as bad as Montgomery. Race baiting done by both races is a cottage industry in lower Alabama and it is very divisive and discourages social and economic development. I haven't lived in in any other cities where the races are approximately equal in numbers so I'm unwilling to make any further comparison.

etouffee
6/25/2006, 06:57 AM
I spent many years as a 100% traveler for work, with most of it being in the northeast and upper midwest, and the racism up there is far stronger than what exists in the deep south. It definitely exists down here, but not in the way most people believe.

King Crimson
6/25/2006, 07:18 AM
i lived in Cambridge, Mass for a summer and i thought Boston was the most racist city i've ever been to (it's just more understated)....and i've spent a lot of time in Atlanta, Nashville, etc.

Crash was a decent flick. i kind of like Don Cheadle. he seems to be pretty good in most things....Traffic, Boogie Nights, etc.

etouffee
6/25/2006, 07:22 AM
King Crimson- interesting you should say that. A lot of the work I mentioned was done in Cambridge (for IBM's Lotus corporation). I lived at the Royal Sonesta next to their headquarters for many, many weeks each year for 5 years. And I can say that Boston is without question one of the most racist places I've ever been.

slickdawg
6/25/2006, 07:34 AM
I spent a couple of weeks in Detroit for training with Cray Research,
and comments I heard from the locals were not that much different
than things I hear in the south.

Racism is everywhere; In the South, we are held in exponentially higher
view by everyone.

King Crimson
6/25/2006, 07:41 AM
etoufee: i agree. i was still in college at the time...and it really struck me. the pizza and grinders/hoagies were out of this world, though. i lived near Porter Square, almost in Somerville. i used to take the red line to Harvard Square everyday.

the best beer store i've ever seen in my life is in Somerville up near Davis Square, "from beer to eternity"...that place was sick. and Stork's Pizza in Somerville....the the thinnest, greasiest best pizza i ever had.

6/25/2006, 08:29 AM
About the movie... I realize a feature film's length is limited to the attention span of its audience, but they certainly crammed a lot of dialogue into 113 minutes. I found the conversations and situations very overdone. I should have gone expecting a "statement" film instead of a true-life plot. The message is a good one, but the in-your-face, non-stop diatribes were too preachy for my tastes. Do people actually have conversations like this? Are there really people walking around so consumed with predjudicial concerns that their entire lives revolve around those issues?

Maybe so. Perhaps I've lived a sheltered and shallow life because it was over the top, IMO.

Was this review helpful to you?

tulsaoilerfan
6/25/2006, 08:36 AM
You missed the most important question: Do any hot chicks show their hooters?:D :D

Okla-homey
6/25/2006, 08:47 AM
You missed the most important question: Do any hot chicks show their hooters?:D :D

yes

Rhino
6/25/2006, 09:32 AM
I liked it, but it was fairly bland.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/25/2006, 09:50 AM
Great movie . . . and racism is alive and well, just more so in some places like the deep south or at the LAPD.:eek: See also: Cincinnati

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2006, 09:57 AM
Decent flick. But not deserving of "Best Picture" award. I thought the "coincidence" aspect was what took the reality out of the story line.

ChickSoonerFan
6/25/2006, 06:44 PM
I thought it was the best movie I have seen in a while and fully deserving of the award. With or with out the "coincidence" which I did not even know existed till I saw the movie...it was still an excellent film.

Hoosier Dynasty
6/25/2006, 08:34 PM
Decent flick. But not deserving of "Best Picture" award. I thought the "coincidence" aspect was what took the reality out of the story line.

HAHA! You sound like my dad. "Concidence" ruins all movies for him.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2006, 10:11 PM
HAHA! You sound like my dad. "Concidence" ruins all movies for him.

HAHA! You sound like my girlfriend. Always comparing me to her Dad.

JohnnyMack
6/25/2006, 10:18 PM
Over-acted self indulgent hollywood crap. Surprised the cast didn't fall over patting themselves on the back for the tough social issue they took on.