PDA

View Full Version : parents with kids that play sports

usmc-sooner
6/24/2006, 08:17 PM
I've got a girl who is really good at sports. But when I go and watch they're is always a few idiot parents that just make an *** out of themselves. There's one in particular that yells so loudly he can sometimes drown out the coach. His kids is terrible and only gets in so everyone plays (which I don't have a problem with his kid) I'd like to walk down and kick his *** everytime I go. Once this guy was just yelling over and over at the top of his lungs "Play with reckless abandon" I'm serious that's all you could here.

When I was a kid we had one parent like that. He would come to every football practice. But now it seems like there are 2 or 3 all the time in every sport.

I volunteered to coach pee wee football one time. The parents were the biggest pain in the ***. Everyone thinks their kid should be QB, or RB. They would put down other kids. I've heard every dad's glory HS football stories. You know like you should play my son at rb because when I played I was all district and could've got a scholarship and ran for 2000 yards blah blah blah

what's wrong with these people

Big Red Ron
6/24/2006, 08:23 PM
I've got a girl who is really good at sports. But when I go and watch they're is always a few idiot parents that just make an *** out of themselves. There's one in particular that yells so loudly he can sometimes drown out the coach. His kids is terrible and only gets in so everyone plays (which I don't have a problem with his kid) I'd like to walk down and kick his *** everytime I go. Once this guy was just yelling over and over at the top of his lungs "Play with reckless abandon" I'm serious that's all you could here.

When I was a kid we had one parent like that. He would come to every football practice. But now it seems like there are 2 or 3 all the time in every sport.

I volunteered to coach pee wee football one time. The parents were the biggest pain in the ***. Everyone thinks their kid should be QB, or RB. They would put down other kids. I've heard every dad's glory HS football stories. You know like you should play my son at rb because when I played I was all district and could've got a scholarship and ran for 2000 yards blah blah blah

what's wrong with these peopleThey may be over compensating for not volunteering to coach. I didn't like some of the idiots that were coaching my daughter (who is a very talented basketball and soccer player), so I just decided to be the coach. I give those guys dead stares during the game then ignore them as I arrive and leave games/practices.

TUSooner
6/24/2006, 08:47 PM
I've been following my kids sports for , what, 8 or 9 years, sometimes as a coach or manager. I've found the best way to deal with it is to address the situation generally to the entire group of parents, either at an informal team meeting, or even in an email to everyone. I used to send lots of information by email and I would slip my remarks in with that.

You just have to remind everybody that the coach is the only coach, and there must be NO coaching from the sidelines or the bleachers. I've also given the old sportsmanship sermon and urged everybody to remember that we represent our club and city, etc. You have to remind people that a$$holiness annoys and embarrasses the kids and detracts from everyone;s enjoyment. Sometimes it takes repeating. Sometimes a little joking about it serves as a painless reminder to STFU. Baja said her team used to keep a box of jaw-breakers handy and offer one to anybody who was getting carried away.

I once promised the parents of a softball team I was coaching that if any parent ever got ejected from the ball park, he'd have to take his daughter with him, and that repeated infractions would get his daughter cut from the team. That worked very well, but you have to be serious about it.

One thing is for sure, unless you address the problem, it will not go away. And addressing it in general terms is a tactful way to get the point across so that you hardly ever have to address the individual.

Sooner_Bob
6/24/2006, 08:47 PM
How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains? Yeah. Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Scott D
6/24/2006, 08:53 PM
They may be over compensating for not volunteering to coach. I didn't like some of the idiots that were coaching my daughter (who is a very talented basketball and soccer player), so I just decided to be the coach. I give those guys dead stares during the game then ignore them as I arrive and leave games/practices.

more like they are overcompensating for their own athletic failures. It's the same as the mothers who start putting their daughters in beauty pageants starting at the age of 3.

More leagues need to have parents sign a behavior waiver when they sign their kids up for any organized leagues. I have a feeling that the threat of their child being banned from all the leagues in the state based upon their behavior would curb at least 60% of it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/24/2006, 09:04 PM
Talk to the ump or to a league official privately before the next game. It should be against the rules and they can kick them out of the park.

SicEmBaylor
6/24/2006, 09:13 PM
This can all be avoided if people just didn't have kids.

tulsaoilerfan
6/24/2006, 09:43 PM

what's wrong with these people
1. Most of them think their kid can do no wrong.
2. Most of them think the coaches can do no right, and every move we make is stupid.
3. Most of them don't have a clue as to what really goes on during a game.

Not to insult any mothers here, but from my experiences this season, they are bigger problems than the dads are.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/24/2006, 09:59 PM
It's not just the parents who are the problem.

My niece is also a really good ball player. She's played in tourneys with my nephew's team for the past few seasons. This year, an opposing team decided she was ineligible for a tournament because she also plays softball. The real reason is that she was kicking all the little boys' asses in baseball.

So anyway, the coach of that team told his parents she was ineligible because my nephew's team paid her $100 to play.

Edit: the way he handled it was like this: After Emily batted, the ball hit his 1st baseman in the shin. As the kid is writhing on the ground, that coach points to my niece and screams "I want her outta here! She's ineligible!"
Come to find out, the league director admitted to my mom that he "had been up until midnight (talking to the opposing team's coach) trying to figure it all out."

SicEmBaylor
6/24/2006, 10:55 PM
When I coached swimming and taught swim lessons the parents were generally pretty decent although I had a few..

We set up a class once specifically for home school kids. Now, I hate to say anything bad about home school kids but they were freaking impossible to deal with. As a whole, they seemed totally incapable of functioning or dealing with anyone except for their parents. By far the worst classes I had were home-school classes.

Anywhoo, there was one parent there who was apparently head of the area home school association that was just totally impossible to deal with. She seemed uncomfortable with the fact that someone, other than her, was running things. She wouldn't sit down and just keep her damned nose out of the middle of everything we were trying to do.

This one day my HS coach is there in his office doing some work so he decides to put on some music that plays over the pool speakers. Well, the music was oldies and the song was "Sugar Sugar" not exactly satanic music by any stretch of the imagination. This woman has a FIT and goes charging into his office demanding that he turn that music off, because it's inappropriate for kids to listen to. He basically told her where she could go because this wasn't her swim class that she was running, it's his office so he'll do what he wants, and he runs the pool not her.

And at least once a week during this entire period she would come up to me and complain about the temperature of the water (we kept it pretty cold just above 70 degrees)being too cold for the kids. We explained to her repeatedly that the swim team HAS to have the water temperature as cold as possible and that we (the swim team) got first priority on everything.

Ugh, after that we stopped having swim lessons for the home schoolers.

Boarder
6/24/2006, 11:10 PM
The public has no idea how stupid the public is until the public has to deal with the public.

SicEmBaylor
6/24/2006, 11:27 PM
The public has no idea how stupid the public is until the public has to deal with the public.

So we're all just as bad as everyone else, we just bother ourselves as much as we bother everyone else?

Scott D
6/24/2006, 11:30 PM

Rule #1. People are stupid.
Rule #2. When in doubt, see Rule #1.

:D

BajaOklahoma
6/24/2006, 11:45 PM
Rule #2. When in doubt, see Rule #1.

:D

Or I've also heard:
Rule #2. And you are one of the people.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:47 PM
Great line from Men In Black:

A person is not stupid, people are stupid

Blue
6/25/2006, 01:24 AM
Throat punch em'

tulsaoilerfan
6/25/2006, 08:41 AM
When I coached swimming and taught swim lessons the parents were generally pretty decent although I had a few..

We set up a class once specifically for home school kids. Now, I hate to say anything bad about home school kids but they were freaking impossible to deal with. As a whole, they seemed totally incapable of functioning or dealing with anyone except for their parents. By far the worst classes I had were home-school classes.

Anywhoo, there was one parent there who was apparently head of the area home school association that was just totally impossible to deal with. She seemed uncomfortable with the fact that someone, other than her, was running things. She wouldn't sit down and just keep her damned nose out of the middle of everything we were trying to do.

This one day my HS coach is there in his office doing some work so he decides to put on some music that plays over the pool speakers. Well, the music was oldies and the song was "Sugar Sugar" not exactly satanic music by any stretch of the imagination. This woman has a FIT and goes charging into his office demanding that he turn that music off, because it's inappropriate for kids to listen to. He basically told her where she could go because this wasn't her swim class that she was running, it's his office so he'll do what he wants, and he runs the pool not her.

And at least once a week during this entire period she would come up to me and complain about the temperature of the water (we kept it pretty cold just above 70 degrees)being too cold for the kids. We explained to her repeatedly that the swim team HAS to have the water temperature as cold as possible and that we (the swim team) got first priority on everything.

Ugh, after that we stopped having swim lessons for the home schoolers.
70 degrees? Do they do that to keep you guys from getting too excited when you swim?:P

StoopTroup
6/25/2006, 08:47 AM
I keep a video camera in the truck when I go to these events.

You never know when it's going to get really juicy.

Agatha Mystery
6/25/2006, 09:50 AM
I umpire softball. When you have children that are minors, and their parents are out of control, it's hard to kick a parent out, when their child is still playing.

If the parents get unruly, I tell the coach that he has to get his parents in line. If he can't do that, then the entire team will be punished. You really don't want to force a team to forfeit. You can eject the parent from the park, but the child would have to go as well (the league I umpired was on a military base, and the dependent couldn't be there without an adult - unless at school).

leavingthezoo
6/25/2006, 11:05 AM
i wish coaches at this level would immediately forfeit the current game when a parent gets out of control. seems drastic, but i can't think of a more effective deterrant.

(ok, i just read agatha. but i don't think this should fall on the ump. coaches should make a statement because they are the one's who have to deal with idiot parents and embarrassed kids.)

nanimonai
6/25/2006, 12:15 PM
Any of you guys ever come across some info on time travel when you're looking around the internets?