PDA

View Full Version : not really sure how the National Guard or the Reserves work but

usmc-sooner
6/24/2006, 06:31 PM
can the governor of California actually tell the President no? I wouldn't think so but I guess he can.

I think everyone knows how everyone feels about our President some of us(like me) like him some of you hate him. So without turning into a super political thread. What's your call. Any guardsmen or reservist I'd like to hear your opinion.

etouffee
6/24/2006, 06:46 PM
certainly not on the reserves. i know governors generally have jurisdiction over their own states' guard contingent, BUT since several guard units have been deployed overseas for the war, it would seem that the feds must have ultimate command over them.

StoopTroup
6/24/2006, 07:11 PM
certainly not on the reserves. i know governors generally have jurisdiction over their own states' guard contingent, BUT since several guard units have been deployed overseas for the war, it would seem that the feds must have ultimate command over them.
Nice Avatar...lol

BTW...I don't hate GW...

I just wish he'd be a little more Reagan during his final months as President.

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 07:12 PM
the National Guard (Army and Air and in some cases as in NY, we have a Naval arm made up of Navy/Marines) is at the ready for the state governor. The guard, in day to day matters, has the Governor as their CinC - not the President, except in those cases when Guard units are federalized or put on federal active-duty orders (e.g., troops serving overseas in Iraq are activated under order of the president and as such he is in their chain of command)

As far as the situation in the SouthWest - those states were asked by the president to send their guard forces to the border, in which case those troops would be state-activated...so to answer your question, yes, Arnold can tell the president no in this situation, because the orders are coming from the state level and actually, I don't believe troops could be activated under the president for the purposes he wants (strengthening the borders).

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 07:17 PM
Reserves are different, they only have a federal mission and as such they answer only to the President

lefty
6/24/2006, 08:05 PM
NYSooner is essentially correct. The Guard is a state militia under the command of the Governor. The Reserves are Federal under the command of the President. The Governor can turn down a request by the President for the use of the Guard. However, the President can federalize the Guard and ursurp the authority of the Governor.

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 08:10 PM
not to sound arrogant, I'm not essentially correct, I am correct...

USMC - I'm Air Guard, that must make it even worse in your eyes ;)

lefty
6/24/2006, 08:20 PM
not to sound arrogant, I'm not essentially correct, I am correct...

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything less.

soonerhubs
6/24/2006, 08:28 PM
So is what Lefty said true about being able to Federalize the Guard? I'm thinking that may have been what happened to George Wallace during the desegregation bit. If I remember my history correctly he tried to block African American students from attending a school, but the President at that time federalized thae guard to prevent him from doing so. I may be wrong though, but I wonder what it would've been like to be in that National Guard Unit.

BTW thanks to all who serve and God Bless You.

usmc-sooner
6/24/2006, 08:30 PM

nope I think you guys do a hard job.

I hope I haven't given you that impression. We all work together. That's the way I look at it. I may joke around about the Navy, Army, or Air Force but it's all in fun. I'm a Marine and I don't hate the Navy, I just act like. One of the best in the military is the Navy Corpsman. Those guys kick ***. Take care of the Corpsman because he's going to be the one that saves your ***.

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 08:32 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything less.

I was breaking your shoes :)

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 08:36 PM
nope I think you guys do a hard job.

I hope I haven't given you that impression. We all work together. That's the way I look at it. I may joke around about the Navy, Army, or Air Force but it's all in fun. I'm a Marine and I don't hate the Navy, I just act like. One of the best in the military is the Navy Corpsman. Those guys kick ***. Take care of the Corpsman because he's going to be the one that saves your ***.

I was joking too, when I was at my tech schools the coolest guys were the jarheads...they just tried to act not so buddy-buddy with the AF guys when their other buddies were around...

my Brother in law is a former-marine who may be looking to finish out his career in the Air Guard as a helicopter mechanic