PDA

View Full Version : landscaping question.

oumartin
6/24/2006, 03:49 PM
in the front of the house we have 4 little small shrubs.. their roots extend out what seems at leat five foot.. I wanna take these out. poor a concrete footer and put rock inside it where these shrubs were.
when i pull these shrubs out do i need to worry about the roots? or will pulling the shrubs and cutting the roots kill the roots too?

etouffee
6/24/2006, 04:02 PM
kinda depends on the shrub. if you wanna be sure, AND you're definitely not going to plant anything else there, pull the shrub and apply some sort of plant killer to the hole and where the root remnants are. not standard weed killer like roundup, but the stuff that kills everything. you can usually find it at home depot.

Newbomb Turk
6/24/2006, 04:36 PM
I've pulled out several shrubs around the house. I've just always hacked off the roots and never had a problem with them growing back.

oumartin
6/24/2006, 04:46 PM
okay.. well the roots will have to be cut back cuz they are right where i wanna put the concrete... i wanna make sure they won't try to keep spreading and ruin the concrete

ultimatesooner1
6/24/2006, 06:34 PM
hook em up to your truck and rip em out of the ground

StoopTroup
6/24/2006, 07:14 PM
hook em up to your truck and rip em out of the ground
YEP...

Make sure you have some rope...:D

http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/news/images/roots_lrg.jpg

BudSooner
6/24/2006, 08:28 PM
YEP...

Make sure you have some rope...:D

http://www.pfc.forestry.ca/news/images/roots_lrg.jpg
:eek:

SicEmBaylor
6/24/2006, 09:01 PM
Six replies of disappointment

oumartin
6/24/2006, 09:29 PM
well the shrubs themselves didn't have much roots come to find out..
there must have been a tree or other type shrub in this yard at one time
i dug out alot of old dead roots..
got my dirt all level and got the edging down.. just gotta put down the paper and rock come monday..

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 10:09 PM
I am delighted this thread did not descend into a discussion involving the word "landing strip."

etouffee
6/24/2006, 10:14 PM
wait.

olevetonahill
6/24/2006, 10:27 PM
I am delighted this thread did not descend into a discussion involving the word "landing strip."
Cause Col Homey abandoned us On our Maiden Drunkyflight :eek:
Now as has been said If you DONT want anything to grow get a "Soil sterilant " its good for at least 5 yrs , Put your Plastic down and have fun :D
Oh don't forget the oil ;)

Blue
6/25/2006, 01:29 AM
well the shrubs themselves didn't have much roots come to find out..
there must have been a tree or other type shrub in this yard at one time
i dug out alot of old dead roots..
got my dirt all level and got the edging down.. just gotta put down the paper and rock come monday..

You mean you solved your own problem w/out the South Oval? What an accomplishment!