PDA

View Full Version : Governmental inconsistencies...

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 03:09 PM
You know 'em, ya hate 'em. Give some up!

I'll start.

You can get a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt BUT they don't even have seatbelts in school busses.

Newbomb Turk
6/24/2006, 03:14 PM
"Government Worker"

There's an inconsistency...or is that just an oxymoron?

Jerk
6/24/2006, 03:22 PM
They can spend more money than they have, but if you spend more money than you have (by writing a hot check) then you can go to jail.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/24/2006, 04:09 PM
Well Well...the newest victims of the Patriot Act ;) SOrry about you guys getting audited and going to Club Gitmo!!

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 04:48 PM
Everyone is subject to their home being raided by the department of justice,
except the president, the congress and the senate.

lefty
6/24/2006, 04:54 PM
Tax cuts increase revenues.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/14603575.htm

Ike
6/24/2006, 05:01 PM
you are paying into social security for "your" retirement.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 05:12 PM
"Government Worker"

There's an inconsistency...or is that just an oxymoron?

It's an oxymoron, much like "Military Intelligence"

:texan:

Newbomb Turk
6/24/2006, 05:57 PM
It's an oxymoron, much like "Military Intelligence"

:texan:

homey might not like that one.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/24/2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah comparing anyone to the government is a slap in the face...The Military gets good intelligence...the government is the ones who process it and screw it up ;)

OklahomaTuba
6/24/2006, 06:17 PM
Tax cuts increase revenues.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/14603575.htm

Yet tax cuts spur economic activity.

Last I checked, tax cuts were never meant to increase tax revenues.

lefty
6/24/2006, 07:23 PM

So this expectation by Bush is simply wrong. By the way, it's from the link I provided. Might read them now and then.

At a ceremony on the White House lawn, Bush said his tax cuts had helped the economy grow, "which means more tax revenue for the federal Treasury."

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 07:27 PM
how about this for inconsistency:

When it is **your** party that is in charge, they never do anything wrong and are wholly altruistic in their actions :rolleyes:

that is meant for both sides of the fence

StoopTroup
6/24/2006, 07:34 PM
It's "OK" to have potholes but not "OK" to have pot.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/24/2006, 07:38 PM
It's allright to practice religion but it isn't allright to have a sex with a dog!!!

BudSooner
6/24/2006, 08:17 PM
It's ok for the gubmint to "Imminent Domain" your property, but when you show up in camo on their property they get a lil upset.

NYSooner1355
6/24/2006, 08:41 PM
It's ok for the gubmint to "Imminent Domain" your property, but when you show up in camo on their property they get a lil upset.

actually G-Dub just signed an executive letter for protecting private property - pretty cool:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/06/20060623-10.html

Executive Order: Protecting the Property Rights of the American People

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to strengthen the rights of the American people against the taking of their private property, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to protect the rights of Americans to their private property, including by limiting the taking of private property by the Federal Government to situations in which the taking is for public use, with just compensation, and for the purpose of benefiting the general public and not merely for the purpose of advancing the economic interest of private parties to be given ownership or use of the property taken.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 08:57 PM
In God We Trust - on all of our currency

Dare not mention God in public buildings

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 09:10 PM
Seems to me this new Executive order dealio only helps limit federal government takings by virtue of the fact as chief executive, he's saying no federal department or agency in the executive branch may do so. This executive order remains in force and thus has the force of law until the next president cancels it or it's challenged in court and struck down as unconstitutional.

I know he had big time lawyers draft the above, but frankly, IMHO, unless SCOTUS changes its opinion, I don't think its gonna make much difference on the state or local level. The Court has consistently held that such taking is constitutional as long as there is procedural due process and the benefit can be rationally linked to any legitimate public purpose.

Increasing the local tax base by condemning private property the local authority believes can be put to more profitable use is one of those "legitimate public purposes" I'm afraid -- even if the result is that the city, county or state essentially forces some slumlord to sell his property to some private developer. Not saying I agree with it mind you, but its well settled law.

IMHO, the best we can hope for is state laws which make it illegal to do so. I believe the Court has recognized states can restrict eminent domain takings within their jurisdictions and such a thing enacted at the state level can put the brakes on such takings by state or local governments I've described above. I believe OUr legislature has or is about to do so.

That said, if the federal gov't needs your property for just about any reason it can cook up, they're gonna get it and you'll probably get "fair market value" (appraised at the time of the taking) in exchange. Good news is, it doesn't happen much.

Mjcpr
6/24/2006, 09:12 PM
I've been trying to get benefits through the VA for my grandmother's nursing home care for about the last 12 months. 11.9 of those months were basically waiting on responses from the VA.

Does that count?

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 09:18 PM
I've been trying to get benefits through the VA for my grandmother's nursing home care for about the last 12 months. 11.9 of those months were basically waiting on responses from the VA.

Does that count?

My experience with the VA is that they have adopted the following approach to assigning benefits: Say no for several months and try to wait out the applicant. That way, only the persistent will see a dime and those who ask only a couple times and take "no" for an answer may go f themselves.

Hang in there. You want to be in the persistent category.

BTW, have you considered approaching the DAV, American Legion, AMVETs, or VFW? Those guys do great work for free on the behalf of vets, their dependents and surviving spouses. Its one of the reasons I joined the DAV because I've seen those guys in action. When they call the VA, the VA listens. If you peem me with a few details, I might be able to refer you to the appropriate office in your area.

Mjcpr
6/24/2006, 09:22 PM
No, and really I only tried the VA because I heard of benefits for surviving spouses which is the case for my grandmother. Initially, she had too many $ in assets to qualify and I'm just now re-applying as her assets have been depleted so I'm just playing the waiting game again.

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 09:35 PM
No, and really I only tried the VA because I heard of benefits for surviving spouses which is the case for my grandmother. Initially, she had too many $ in assets to qualify and I'm just now re-applying as her assets have been depleted so I'm just playing the waiting game again.

There is a DAV office within the Muskogee VA Center, I'd call them if I were you. They really are there precisely to help folks like your grandmother. They are very nice to deal with and can give you an honest and accurate assessment of what benefits to which your grandma may be entitled and can speed stuff up too.

reevie
6/24/2006, 10:34 PM
The government wants us to save money.

But heaven forbid I do not spend all my money before the end of the fiscal year. Or even worse, turn in excess money. They assume you initially lied in how much money you needed then take money away from you next year. It could take years for your program to recover! I learned early to spend all my money by April, then ask for me. They love me!

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 10:44 PM
The government wants us to save money.

But heaven forbid I do not spend all my money before the end of the fiscal year. Or even worse, turn in excess money. They assume you initially lied in how much money you needed then take money away from you next year. It could take years for your program to recover! I learned early to spend all my money by April, then ask for me. They love me!

I used to bore a lot of holes in the sky in September every year if we had flying hours left over towards the end of the fiscal year. See, like you describe, if we had flying hours left unflown, the brass were always skeered the air staff in DC might not give us the same number next year and therefore we had to make sure sure we flew every minute out whether we were accomplishing any useful training or not. We then repeated the process the following year. It was like a self-licking ice cream cone.

SoonerInKCMO
6/24/2006, 10:49 PM

I thought everyone had heard of the Laffer Curve by now.

jk the sooner fan
6/24/2006, 10:57 PM
My experience with the VA is that they have adopted the following approach to assigning benefits: Say no for several months and try to wait out the applicant. That way, only the persistent will see a dime and those who ask only a couple times and take "no" for an answer may go f themselves.

Hang in there. You want to be in the persistent category.

BTW, have you considered approaching the DAV, American Legion, AMVETs, or VFW? Those guys do great work for free on the behalf of vets, their dependents and surviving spouses. Its one of the reasons I joined the DAV because I've seen those guys in action. When they call the VA, the VA listens. If you peem me with a few details, I might be able to refer you to the appropriate office in your area.

amen to that, i'm a DAV member myself

i appealed my disability ruling with the VA (i'm currently at 30%)...because they didnt "service connect" my ankle......i deal with arthritis in that joint on a daily basis.....i'd be happy if they just service connected it without any higher %.....so i ask for a hearing to make a statement.....the DAV gets involved on my behalf and discover that the idiot doctor that did my VA physical noted the records wrong on my ankles...saying that the one i had surgery on was fine, but that the left one still caused problems.....

so now they have scheduled me for a full physical at the VA hospital in dallas to consider my appeal

this has been going on since i retired in Aug 04.

olevetonahill
6/24/2006, 10:58 PM
There is a DAV office within the Muskogee VA Center, I'd call them if I were you. They really are there precisely to help folks like your grandmother. They are very nice to deal with and can give you an honest and accurate assessment of what benefits to which your grandma may be entitled and can speed stuff up too.
What Homey said
The DAV rocks use em
I fought on my own for 16 yrs got Nada
Within 6 yrs of the DAV on em I got 100 %
DAV ;)

olevetonahill
6/24/2006, 11:04 PM
amen to that, i'm a DAV member myself

i appealed my disability ruling with the VA (i'm currently at 30%)...because they didnt "service connect" my ankle......i deal with arthritis in that joint on a daily basis.....i'd be happy if they just service connected it without any higher %.....so i ask for a hearing to make a statement.....the DAV gets involved on my behalf and discover that the idiot doctor that did my VA physical noted the records wrong on my ankles...saying that the one i had surgery on was fine, but that the left one still caused problems.....

so now they have scheduled me for a full physical at the VA hospital in dallas to consider my appeal

this has been going on since i retired in Aug 04.

The Best thing the DAV taught me was
APPEAL , Appeal , appeal . Did I say Appeal ?
I lost 5 claims cause I didnt appeal , just said Ok what ever
Those 5 can NEVER be recovered :eek:
Get the Pros at DAV on it Now . Then become a Life member ;)

reevie
6/24/2006, 11:12 PM
I used to bore a lot of holes in the sky in September every year if we had flying hours left over towards the end of the fiscal year. See, like you describe, if we had flying hours left unflown, the brass were always skeered the air staff in DC might not give us the same number next year and therefore we had to make sure sure we flew every minute out whether we were accomplishing any useful training or not. We then repeated the process the following year. It was like a self-licking ice cream cone.

Yeah, I've been in some meetings where the Wing's flying hours have been discussed and what we can do to help.
Amazing that the brass can forget things like weather, MICAPS, mods, down days and just broke jets can derail an estimated flight schedule....

Okla-homey
6/24/2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I've been in some meetings where the Wing's flying hours have been discussed and what we can do to help.
Amazing that the brass can forget things like weather, MICAPS, mods, down days and just broke jets can derail an estimated flight schedule....

Best motivator evar was giving a wing "down day" when the monthly hour goal was met. Of course, the lots of people like the cops and medics didn't get to take the day off b/c it jacked with the appointment schedule, but everyone else dug them. We also used to get one after a few months with no DUI's by anyone assigned on base.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:18 PM

Does that count?

That is the typical United States Government.

The Government does not give a rat's *** about YOU or any INDIVIDUAL.

Only large, organized groups have enough weight to command attention
to get resolution to problems, such as yours.

How many times have local and even national reporters provided another
heartbreaking story, something that should never happen to any american,
only to have the government fail them?

The AARP, VFW, DAV and a few others have the weight to get things done.
Find a way to involve them.

OklahomaTuba
6/24/2006, 11:23 PM
I thought everyone had heard of the Laffer Curve by now.

Heard about it, but my understanding was that the tax cuts were to stimulate the economy first and foremost after the tech collapse and 9/11, and it seemed to do just that.

lefty
6/24/2006, 11:25 PM
The Laffer Curve is so 1980's. Keep up.

slickdawg
6/24/2006, 11:26 PM
The economy, much like the ****in' global climate, naturally
goes through changes. The market will heat and and cool off over
long periods, it's part of it.

lefty
6/24/2006, 11:29 PM
The economy, much like the ****in' global climate, naturally
goes through changes. The market will heat and and cool off over
long periods, it's part of it.

Excellent insight.

Blue
6/25/2006, 01:27 AM
The government sucks and the government nuts.

SoonerInKCMO
6/25/2006, 10:10 PM
Heard about it, but my understanding was that the tax cuts were to stimulate the economy first and foremost after the tech collapse and 9/11, and it seemed to do just that.

You're probably right about the cuts earlier this decade, but I was referring to the cuts that Reagan made in the '80s. Two of the main premises of his economic policy were that 1) Tax revenue plotted against tax rate would follow the bell-shaped Laffer Curve; and 2) Our overall effective tax rate was, at that time, to the right of the revenue peak. Therefore, when he cut taxes, one of the intended purposes was to increase tax revenue.

sooner n houston
6/26/2006, 09:23 AM
- Monthly declines in tax revenues (year over year) occurred in 20 of the 27 months starting with the 01 recession up until the final passage of Bush’s tax cut in May ’03.
- Since that time, tax revenues have increased in 30 of the last 36 months (year over year) and 27 of the last 28 in particular.
- While spending is still running higher than revenues, the growth in revenues has been trending higher than the growth in spending (as of Dec 04) for the 1st time since 9/11.
- Revenue growth in 2005 was up 14.6% and spending was up 7.9%
- In 06, revenue growth is up 12.9% and spending is up 8.0%
- The Jan 06 deficit estimate for 06 from the CBO was -$337B and from the OMB (in Feb 06) was -$423B. Assuming growth in spending and revenue at the current rate for the rest of the year gets you to a deficit of –$238B in 06. This would be the lowest deficit since 02.
- If expenses had increased at just a 3% annual clip from Clinton’s last budget we’d have a surplus this year of approx $271B. Instead we have been growing spending by 8% in 02, 7% in 03, 6% in 04, 8% in 05, and currently 8% in 06.
- The last 4 qtrs have each recorded the all time highest tax revenues for the particular qtr in history. Last Q3 was the single highest qtr on record and after two months of Q3 this year we are 18.0% above last year’s pace.
- Monthly tax revenue records have been set in 14 of the last 19 months
- This year's deficit is currently 17% lower than last year's at this time, which was 21% lower than the year before that
- Revenues from SS are up 7%, from individuals up 14%, and from corps up 30% YTD, year over year.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/index.html